Cinder block smoke shack

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Cinder block smoke shack

Postby Txdragon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:56 pm

After my surgeries are over and I'm well into recovery, I'm going to build a cinder block smokehouse. I have a couple plans drafted and they are pretty simple. Vertical cooker, 4'x3'x3' on a concrete pad. I'm a tad befuddled as to how I am going to do the door. I would imagine bolting in a hinged door, but may have to weld the door to the hinges afterwards. The bricks with the hinge would be fixed first, then set, and the door welded onto the hinges after. Any other ideas for a door? Let me know!
(Insert witty signature here)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Cinder block smoke shack

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 am

Wooden door?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 am

Maybe something from a used wood burning Stove, Small Frig or used Smoker :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:56 pm

if it is not too tall, a simple corrugated tin door with a wood frame should work on a piece of rebar driven in the ground, I would not cement the blocks together either to allow for the ground to shift as it needs to, would be cheaper that way :dont:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Sorry to hear surgeries are in your future, I hope all goes well and you rest easy.

Wood stove suppliers sell parts they might have what you need.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:32 am

k.a.m. wrote:Wooden door?

Funny you say this because I looked at a shipping crate lid the other day and thought that would be perfect. I wasnt sure about longevity, being wood though.

Boots wrote:Sorry to hear surgeries are in your future, I hope all goes well and you rest easy.

Wood stove suppliers sell parts they might have what you need.

Thank ya, sir! We're in Texarkana a couple times a month, I'll see if I can find a place there.

spacetrucker wrote:if it is not too tall, a simple corrugated tin door with a wood frame should work on a piece of rebar driven in the ground, I would not cement the blocks together either to allow for the ground to shift as it needs to, would be cheaper that way :dont:

I didn't want to mortar the bricks for that reason. That's why I wanted to pour a little concrete pad similar to an A/C foundation.

We just tore down the old shed that was on the property when we moved in. LOTS of usable tin left from that. I'll see what I can fashion with some of this.

OldUsedParts wrote:Maybe something from a used wood burning Stove, Small Frig or used Smoker :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

My original thought was just like a standard cabinet smoker door with the hinges just drilled into the brick.
(Insert witty signature here)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:15 pm

I think a wood door will work fine. You could cover the outside with some aluminum flashing to somewhat weather proof it.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”