Cognac and Herb Crusted Tri Tip, Shrimp and Scallop Scampi

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Cognac and Herb Crusted Tri Tip, Shrimp and Scallop Scampi

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:52 pm

So I've been watching everyone's recent Tri Tip posts and drooling. Asked my butcher " new guy " about a Tri Tip. He said he can do it but its not asked for often up this way so to call back in a few days and ask for Hernan.. Yup, Hernan, NOT Herman.
So after playing phone tag for a few days I got hold of Hernan. Super cool guy and very laid back full of knowledge. He tells me that I'm the first guy to ask for a Tri Tip since he's been there about 6 months.
He tells me this is a huge deal in Brazil, everybody cooks this cut of meat.
So he cuts me a 2.5 lber and I decided to do it on the Smokey Joe since the Akorn is on its life support lately.
First, I decided to make some home made Mashed Potatoes with Red Taters, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese, Milk, Butter, S & P and a 4 Cheese Shredded Blend of Romano, Mozz, Asiago and Parmesan.
Cooked the quartered Taters in water, and Garlic then drained and mixed the above and mashed the bejesus out of them then in the Slow Cooker for 3 hrs.
Did a Shrimp and Scallop Scampi on the Paella Pan and then made a Home Made Cognac Cream Sauce. ( for the Tri Tip ) with Fresh Minced Garlic, Heavy Cream, S & P, Butter and
D´usse Cognac " my favorite " to cook AND Drink
Light Grapeseed Oil coating on the entire Tri Tip.
Used a Coffee Rub for the top and bottom of the Tri Tip and did an Herb Crusted Rub for the sides with minced Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Fresh Minced Garlic.
Did a 600 degree Sear on all sides for 4 minutes each, then went indirect over a 300 degree temp till I hit 125 " actual 127 " and pulled and wrapped for a 45 minute rest.
Well, everything was going well till I burnt the Garlic Bread

Minimal casualties tonight, grabbed a glass of Red Fire Red Wine and all was well
DSC_0027~2.jpg
DSC_0029~2.jpg
DSC_0030~2.jpg
DSC_0032~2.jpg
DSC_0033~2.jpg
DSC_0034~2.jpg
DSC_0035~2.jpg
DSC_0037~2.jpg
DSC_0038~2.jpg
DSC_0039~2.jpg
Last edited by woodenvisions on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Cognac and Herb Crusted Tri Tip, Shrimp and Scallop Scampi

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 pm

Some more...
DSC_0041~2.jpg
DSC_0042~2.jpg
DSC_0043~2.jpg
DSC_0044~2.jpg
DSC_0045~2.jpg
DSC_0046~2.jpg
DSC_0047~2.jpg
DSC_0048~2.jpg
DSC_0049~2.jpg
DSC_0050~2.jpg
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:00 pm

And some more...
DSC_0051~2.jpg
DSC_0052~2.jpg
DSC_0055~3.jpg
DSC_0056~3.jpg
DSC_0057~3.jpg
DSC_0059~3.jpg
DSC_0060~3.jpg
DSC_0062~3.jpg
DSC_0064~3.jpg
DSC_0066~3.jpg
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Almost done
DSC_0067~3.jpg
DSC_0069~3.jpg
DSC_0070~3.jpg
DSC_0071~2.jpg
DSC_0072~3.jpg
DSC_0073~3.jpg
DSC_0074~3.jpg
DSC_0075~3.jpg
DSC_0076~2.jpg
DSC_0077~3.jpg
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Last few
DSC_0078~2.jpg
DSC_0079~3.jpg
DSC_0080~3.jpg
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:43 pm

Perrrrfection. A 475 foot, hand-measured, Say Hey Willie Mays DINGER over the right-centerfield wall, narrowly passing between the light standard and the rooftop bleachers, before crashing through the windshield of a parked police cruiser on the far side of West Waveland Avenue and knocking a half drunk paper cup of black coffee off the dash into the floorboard, before plopping to a final gentle rest in an half eaten box of Duncan Donuts (plain glazed).
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:42 am

I would hurt myself on that. Fantastic job WV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 am

bsooner75 wrote:I would hurt myself on that. Fantastic job WV!

:laughing7:

:chef:
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:27 am

bsooner75 wrote:I would hurt myself on that. Fantastic job WV!

I actually did when a rogue Scallop decided it didn't wanna stay in the Paella Pan when I flipped them. Those suckers hold heat like a brick and add the hot butter and things can get bad quickly.
But hey, I " Saved " it from hitting the concrete and skin will always grow back

Thx man, just like you it was a first but I think we both deserve a Beer or Two for passing the Grain S.A.T Test
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:49 am

Lawdy Lawdy "Surf'n and Turf'n Satdie" - - - everything looks centerfold as always but those Prawns and Barnacles on Steroids made me drool on myself. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:19 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Lawdy Lawdy "Surf'n and Turf'n Satdie" - - - everything looks centerfold as always but those Prawns and Barnacles on Steroids made me drool on myself. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thx pal, twas a good dinner for once. Been limited on what we cook and store with the fridge down. The Shrimp were 16/20 and the Scallops were large Sea Scallops.
Bought 2 Tri Tips but could only fit one on the Smokey Joe but I may cook the other today because the Dorm Fridge is already crowded.
Might do a Prime Rib seasoning and a longer sear this time, We'll see
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:41 am

woodenvisions wrote:So I've been watching everyone's recent Tri Tip posts and drooling. Asked my butcher " new guy " about a Tri Tip. He said he can do it but its not asked for often up this way so to call back in a few days and ask for Hernan.. Yup, Hernan, NOT Herman.
So after playing phone tag for a few days I got hold of Hernan. Super cool guy and very laid back full of knowledge. He tells me that I'm the first guy to ask for a Tri Tip since he's been there about 6 months.
So he cuts me a 2.5 lber and I decided to do it on the Smokey Joe since the Akorn is on its life support lately.
First, I decided to make some home made Mashed Potatoes with Red Taters, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese, Milk, Butter, S & P and a 4 Cheese Shredded Blend of Romano, Mozz, Asiago and Parmesan.
Cooked the quartered Taters in water, and Garlic then drained and mixed the above and mashed the bejesus out of them then in the Slow Cooker for 3 hrs.
Did a Shrimp and Scallop Scampi on the Paella Pan and then made a Home Made Cognac Cream Sauce. ( for the Tri Tip ) with Fresh Minced Garlic, Heavy Cream, S & P, Butter and
Used a Coffee Rub for the top and bottom of the Tri Tip and did an Herb Crusted Rub for the sides with minced Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Fresh Minced Garlic.
Did a 600 degree Sear on all sides for 4 minutes each, then went indirect over a 300 degree temp till I hit 125 " actual 127 " and pulled and wrapped for a 45 minute rest.

Minimal casualties tonight, grabbed a glass of Red Fire Red Wine and all was well
DSC_0039~2.jpg
DSC_0038~2.jpg
DSC_0037~2.jpg
DSC_0035~2.jpg
DSC_0034~2.jpg
DSC_0033~2.jpg
DSC_0032~2.jpg
DSC_0030~2.jpg
DSC_0029~2.jpg
DSC_0027~2.jpg

Woah! Nice pics!

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:01 pm

PinoyPitmaster wrote:
woodenvisions wrote:So I've been watching everyone's recent Tri Tip posts and drooling. Asked my butcher " new guy " about a Tri Tip. He said he can do it but its not asked for often up this way so to call back in a few days and ask for Hernan.. Yup, Hernan, NOT Herman.

DSC_0039~2.jpg
DSC_0038~2.jpg
DSC_0037~2.jpg
DSC_0035~2.jpg
DSC_0034~2.jpg
DSC_0033~2.jpg
DSC_0032~2.jpg
DSC_0030~2.jpg
DSC_0029~2.jpg
DSC_0027~2.jpg

Woah! Nice pics!

Much appreciated Pinoy
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:56 pm

I did not dare even look until we had eaten breakfast, lunch AND dessert.

Still wanna come over! :salut: :chef: :cheers:
Moink!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:I did not dare even look until we had eaten breakfast, lunch AND dessert.

Still wanna come over! :salut: :chef: :cheers:
U and PB are always welcome here neighbors
Not too much of a hike over the East River, the Hudson, Newark Bay and the Delaware

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”