Pulled Pork on Pit Boss per Papa Tom's recipe

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Pulled Pork on Pit Boss per Papa Tom's recipe

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Got a bone-in Boston Butt Roast rubbed with mustard and dusted with Suckle Busters Hog Waller Honey Rub and it's wrapped and in the frig for an overnight soaking. Gonna put it on the Pit Boss 340 Pellet Pooper as early as my body will function in the morning. I'm gonna use the recipe (except for the A.J. spritzing) that Papa Tom shared with me a couple years ago for my Son and his Wife's Rehearsal Dinner. It was a great success so no need in fixin sumptin dat ain't broke. :roll: :dont:
P8120001.JPG

P8120002.JPG

More pics to follow, I hope :dont: :D :lol: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Pulled Pork on Pit Boss per Papa Tom's recipe

Postby Txdragon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 pm

This is gonna be a good one!! Oh.. I have a sprayer labeled just like yours here. Actually it says BBQ sprayer only. Lol!!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:18 am

OK the Race as started (me against the evening temps of :texas: ) Even tho I had a big ol steroid shot in the Hip yesterday it still woke me up at 4:45am so I started making motions towards the Pork Butt. Even with my 2 cats help, I didn't get the lid closed on the monitor cable until 5:40am. Really hoping and looking forward to Sammies for Lunch but we'll see what happens :dont:

P8120003.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 am

You’ll do great but I don’t know about Lunch. It takes me 8-10 hours on my primitive stick burner
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:01 am

Ur looking at dinner my friend, it will be well worth the wait tho

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 am

?OUCH? - meat is only at 82 and I need to wrap at 160 so I'm uppin cooking temp to 300 at 8am.

ONLY Problem is that Wiffy has a Doc Appt at 3:30 about 45 min drive from here so I may end up finishing it in the Oven when we get back home. Dinner Dinner for a Beginner :dont: :scratch: :?:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 am

Hey Y'all, I don't want to mess up and I've never finished pork in the oven like this so should I refrigerate it while I'm gone and then finish when I get back or just put it in a crock pot on Low ???????????? Any suggestions welcome :whiteflag:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:21 am

Parts, if you are cooking at 300 you won't have to worry about it. It will be finished.

And you should set that coffee cup up higher so you don't have to bend donw every time to grab it. And put a little Bailey's in it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:51 am

Points taken, Friend, I'm really crossing dem fangers on this but unfortunately I just have to play it hour to hour :dont:
Butt's been on 3 hrs and meat int temp is at 141 so I ?may? be wrapping in an hour or so :?:
Papa Tom recipe that I've used with success wraps at 160 and pulls at 205 and since I've used that before with success, I'm gonna stick with it. :salut:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:53 am

GRailsback wrote:And you should set that coffee cup up higher so you don't have to bend donw every time to grab it.

Note chair in lower right hand corner that is easy reach to Java Cup. :tup:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 am

Temps were barely on either side of 300 and it was ready to wrap at 161. Those pulling claws sure help in picking up and moving around. :tup: Waiting on 205 and then off she comes. :salut:

FOOTNOTE: I should have mentioned that this chunk of meat was only 4.65# including the bone :dont:

P8120004.JPG

P8120005.JPG
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

No rap zone here Amigeaux. Depending on what time you pull that chunk off and have to leave for the appointment, you have a couple options.

Going to be gone less than four hours? Double wrap in foil, into an ice chest, then covered with a bunch of news papers or a towel. Pull when you get home. The bonus here is that your ice chest will smell like an angel was living in there for a while. :laughing7:

Pull the chunk off and have a couple hours before you leave. Rest in chest for an hour or so then pull it and into the fridge. A vacuum packer is real handy for this.

Buena suerte Amigeaux
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks Amigeaux :tup: :salut: :chef:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 am

At 300 it will be ready for lunch. Mrs Parts will have to wake Parts up from his nap to take her to her appointment.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:55 am

I pulled it at 206 and right now:

Resting.jpg.jpg
Resting.jpg.jpg (24.33 KiB) Viewed 1779 times

P8120006.JPG

Gonna pull in an hour and wake the Wiffy for her Pulled Pork Sammich Breakfast :roll: :laughing7: :rose:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”