Pork Butts

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

red&blacksmoke USER_AVATAR
RED&BLACKSMOKE
Pilgrim

Pork Butts

Postby RED&BLACKSMOKE » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:30 pm

I am cooking about sixty lbs next weekend for a festival. I am just shocked at the price of these things these days. I was just wondering what everyone is paying around the state. Its a 1.55 a lb at Sams in Lubbock if you buy a case 1.77 if you just buy a two butt package. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong area..
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Re: Pork Butts

Postby FR8 Train » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:35 pm

I feel your pain, couple weeks ago we did over 200lbs of choice packers and sausage for a catering gig and the meat wasn't cheap, did luck out with some July 4th sales though. Price seems about right to me. Think I need to buy a deep freeze and load up when a good sale comes around.
"Sic 'em Bears"
RED&BLACKSMOKE
Pilgrim

Postby RED&BLACKSMOKE » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:42 pm

at these prices you cook 60lbs and have about 50% weight loss and serve them in 4oz sandwiches you have about 1.29 in each sammie not including the wood, bread, sauce... I want to charge $5 for a sammie and a 1oz bag of chips just not sure if that is enough??
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:15 pm

All meat down here is high. I think I paid $1.98 at HEB this past weekend for bone in butts. Have you seen hamburger? I paid $2.98 for 80/20
It was a dollar cheaper last year.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Blame it on the weather and using ethanol for fuel driving up the cost of corn. Higher corn prices = higher feed cost coupled with a low crop yield due to the weather petty much sums it up. I ran across a Butt hiding in the freezer the other day that I bought last OCT. for .99 a lb when HEB had a sale reg was 1.25 lb.. I hate to tell you it's going to get worse but it is.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:41 am

BluDawg has the right answer. I did however buy bone in pork butt on sale for $.99, a few week ago at super 1 Tyler, Texas CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
jamey USER_AVATAR
Jamey
Wrangler

Postby Jamey » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:55 am

I cooked for 80 over the weekend. I went to CostCo but they do not sell bone in. So, i was forced to pay $1.90 at Kroger (that is with help from my Butcher friend!). My question is - Does Sam's sell Bone in butts?
Jamey McCurry

"Never trust a skinny cook"
RED&BLACKSMOKE
Pilgrim

Postby RED&BLACKSMOKE » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:34 pm

yes. i bought a case which was 60lbs for 1.55 a pound they are bone in.
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:57 pm

HEB is starting to show it really bad. Ranchers are experiencing the longest drought in history. Drought = no hay/high hay... forcing to raise them on feed as mentioned before, yet our government is still paying northern farmers above Texas to NOT plant crops! :angry5: Cost on hoof weight at the scales is jumping higher everyday. I like buying my meat from HEB for the fact that our HEB is clean around the meat case and the prices are usually good. It was nice because they would stagger sales on beef and pork from one week to the next. Now it is all just high. Been planning on heading over to Sam's to check them out. If you are getting butts at the buck n quarter range... that is really good right now.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
chadmist USER_AVATAR
ChadMist
Cowboy

Postby ChadMist » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:22 pm

Jamey wrote:I cooked for 80 over the weekend. I went to CostCo but they do not sell bone in. So, i was forced to pay $1.90 at Kroger (that is with help from my Butcher friend!). My question is - Does Sam's sell Bone in butts?

yes they do about 1.89 lb 2 per cryo vac
On a mission to show the Wife a Good BBQ is worth the money.
Custom BBQ pit
deano USER_AVATAR
Deano
Rustler

Postby Deano » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:42 pm

I've got a different perspective. IF this drought continues much longer, a lot of ranchers/producers won't be able to pay the price of feed so.... There will be a sell off and prices in the stores will be cheaper. Only for a while though. When the rains come back the prices will go back up two fold! It's a no win situation for everyone! Really hoping this doesn't happen. I would much rather have steady prices that both the consumer and the producers can live with!

So the thought is, you better load up if there is a sale!
Chris - Head Cook

Deano's Smokin Bones BBQ Team

Our Ribs R Suckin Good!

http://www.deanosbbq.com

http://www.facebook.com/SmokinBonesBBQ
bracketracer
Pilgrim

Postby bracketracer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:06 am

@Jamey--Maybe they just ran out?, the Costco by my house sells bone-in pork butts, 2 in a pack. I bought a pack there two weeks ago to cook for a b-day party, they were about $1.85/lb IIRC.

Return to “General Discussion”