Gator
Sheriff

City Market - Luling, TX

Postby Gator » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:25 am

City Market
633 E Davis St
Luling, TX 78648

(830) 875-9019

First off - If you want GREAT BBQ, head here. This place is awesome.

City Market is set in a row of shops in (I suppose) downtown Luling. I would label it as unassuming.

It is set up like a lot of the Central Texas BBQ Joints, the smoke room is separate, you select and pay for meat back there. The pits are right there where you can see everything. Nice guys. I ordered brisket, ribs and a ring of sausage. They weigh it up and throw on bread for no charge. Then you take the meat into the dining room where you can purchase sides. I didn’t have any sides this trip.

The Brisket. It was simply awesome. I mean REALLY good. It had a nice smoky flavor and was cooked to perfection. I can’t say enough good things about the brisket. It was spot on. Right up there with the very best BBQ Joint brisket I have ever tasted.

The Ribs. Well, nothing but bones left here. The ribs were right up there with the brisket. Sweet and smoky, but not over smoked. They were great without sauce and I’m a sauce man. Again, perfectly cooked. I’m not sure what was better, the brisket or the ribs. Excellent.

The Sausage. Well to be fair to the sausage, I got so freaked out on the brisket and ribs that I didn’t get to the sausage until the next day. :oops: It was very good too. I need to go back and have a fresh ring before I pass judgment on these little delights. If I had to guess, I would say excellent too.

Gator at the pit:

All-in-all, I highly recommend City Market. It has the right focus = cooking the meat until it is perfectly done, not an easy thing to do in a BBQ Joint.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:58 pm

everytime we go to the coast I want to try and stop here, unfortunatly everytime we go it seems like when we pass through Luling is around noon and the place is PACKED. I'm gonna have to get a trip together and hit up City Market ASAP. Thanks for the review!
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:12 pm

Nice review Gator, darn and you look all clean backed up by them pits. Musta took the picture before ya dove into the ribs...... :bounce:
tarde venientibus ossa....
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:33 pm

yeppers, that was before the feast! :lol:
Gator

tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:49 am

what did you think of the famous "bronze sauce"?
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:00 am

Tex,I went totally naked. No sauce. I need to get back to city market and "settle in" to a longer stay and a more in depth review.

A place like CM shouldn't be rushed and I had the whole crew with me.
Gator

dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Made my first visit to City Market on the way back from a fishing trip this afternoon. The three of us pretty much got the same thing, and had some to bring home for dinner/snack.

I got 1# of brisket, 1/2# ribs, and a ring of sausage, accompanied by some beans, tater salad, and a hunk of cheese. The brisket was pretty good, probably some of the best I have had at a restaurant, I think they sauce it while its cooking, but I could be wrong. The ribs were definitly some of the best I have had, and the sausage was a tad greasy for me, but it was OK. Now the beans were GREAT, very tasty. The people working in the place were extremly nice from the cutters to the cashiers. I will definitly be back the next time we are headed down to the coast. If you haven't been there I suggest, when you have the time, go down and get you some BBQ, I don't think you will be sorry.

Oh yeah, I had a Big Red for a drink, of course. :wink:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Great reviews there fellas. Thanks. Yall making me hongry for bbq.

bigwheel
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:36 pm

DaHorns wrote:I got 1# of brisket, 1/2# ribs, and a ring of sausage, accompanied by some beans, tater salad, and a hunk of cheese.
Oh yeah, I had a Big Red for a drink, of course. :wink:

Shades of a Robert Earl Keen song (Barbeque):

Barbeque sliced beef and bread
Ribs and sausage and a cold Big Red
Barbeque makes old ones feel young
Barbeque makes everybody someone
So if you're feelin' puny and you don't know what to do
Treat yourself to some meat eat some barbeque
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:47 pm

One of these days, I'm just gonna have to take a trip down that way...

James.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:20 pm

Yep I gotta make a trip to the hill country...
tarde venientibus ossa....
DoletHillMan
Pilgrim

Luling Market

Postby DoletHillMan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:35 pm

City Market is the Shangri-La of BBQ. My Texas BBQ map now shows 237 red dots and that is the number of just TEXAS BBQ places I've eaten in my 68-years. City Market is to BBQ as Texas is to the U.S. If you've not eaten at City Market you need to get off your you-know-what and head out.
On Monday I'm heading west (on another BBQ RUN) and first stop will be Luling, Texas and City Market. Seriously folks, even their sauce is great.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”