Hutchins BBQ, McKinney TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:17 pm

I made it out to McKinney last night with the wife after a quick search on Urbanspoon for close BBQ and Hutchins had a wonderful record of positive reviews on Urbanspoon. It was something like 92% positive with almost 300 reviewers. After a short drive down 380, which I found out is also called University on google maps, we found an old school looking bbq joint with a full parking lot which was a good indication that it must be pretty good. When I got out of the car, the wonderful aroma or burning wood got my mouth salivating. As we walked in, we were met with a line that was to the door. This place is setup just like Babbs which is cafeteria style. However, they aren't near as efficient here as they were at Babbs. It took a good 10-12 minutes to get through the line. Which, in all honesty, isn't too bad of a wait on a Saturday night. The longer I waited, the more I wanted to eat their food. I couldn't stop watching the meat carvers work their magic on brisket. So, I ended up going with the All-You-Can-Eat for $16.99, that way I could try all of their meat. They had a pile of fat and burnt brisket on the side that was a discard pile. I asked if I could have some of the burnt ends and they gladly obliged. They ended up being a little too burnt for my taste though. Here is a pic of my plate. The pic doesn't show off all of the meats though as my fries and burnt ends cover up most everything.

So for a little breakdown of the meats, here you go:

Ribs = Wonderful smoke flavor, a little closer to falling off the bone than competition style. I'm sure that is how most customers prefer them though.

Pulled Pork = Ehhh, it was ok. I didn't get any bark, and bark is my fav. So it was dissapointing. It was pretty moist though.

Sausage = They didn't give me Jalepeno sausage, just peppered. It was typical smoked sausage. It was good but nothing to write home about.

Turkey = Very good! Nice and moist with good smoke flavor. Wish I could have gotten some skin though.

Chicken = For some reason they didn't give me any, but they did my son and he said it was dry. It didn't have skin on it either.

Brisket = Fantastic!!!! Beautiful smoke ring, good bark, trimmed of most fat, very moist, and did great on the tug test.

Ham = Good, nice smoke flavor, but how good can ham really be

Sides:

I had ranch style fries and they were sooooooo good. I also had corn which was just ok. My wife and and son had fied okra. They liked it, but it wasn't amazing. However, how good can that nasty vegtable be anyway, haha. We all had the mac and cheese. It failed to impress. It was a bit watery. The ranch style beans didn't even look appealing so I didn't bother with them. They have their original bbq sauce and a hot & spicy version which was awesome! They offer free peach cobbler, banana pudding and frozen yougurt with toppings which I thought was pretty nice of them considering their prices were pretty good.

By the time we finished eating, the line was gone and they were wrapping it up for the night. I told my wife I was going to go talk shop with them and try to look at their pit. She said you can't just go in the back and look at their stuff. I smiled and walked away. So I walked up to one of the meat carvers and started asking questions and he answered everything.

How long do you guys smoke your brisket? 15 hours

Do you use a rub other than salt and pepper? Nope

How long do you cook your ribs? 5-6 hours

Do you wrap them at all? Not until they are done, then we wrap them in foil and pull them off to rest for a couple of hours.

What wood do you guys use? Pecan

Do you use anything other than wood for heat? Nope

Then he says, do you want to come see our smokers? heck YES!!! :cheers:

It was a great night for me and I can't wait to head back to Hutchins BBQ. Were there things that could have been better? Sure, but there was nothing to take away from the experience. I think I would give Hutchins 3.75 out of 5 stars just a tick below Babbs. In my opinion, you will not be dissapointed if you go eat at either of these two places in the DFW area.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Re: Hutchins BBQ in McKinney

Postby Big Ed » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks for review,I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind next time I'm up that way!!
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Yep, I got friends around there. I will tell them to check it out. I typically hate Dallas and Houston so much, I won't even think about stopping when I am driving through.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Watching BBQ Pitmasters after work paid off for me tonight. The wife came and hung out with me while I was watching the show and she started saying, man I'm getting hungry for bbq. By the end of the show, she said we're going to Hutchins for dinner!! Haha, yes. The first time we went, we made the mistake of going right before closing. This time we ate 6 pm and man, did that make a difference! I thought it was really good the first time I went. This time I was absolutely blown away. Again, I got the all you can eat for $16.99. I got ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and jalepeno sausage along with mac and cheese, corn and rolls.

I never understood why anyone would prefer dry ribs to wet. That is until tonight. As I ate these ribs which are only rubbed with salt and pepper, I thought, you know, the last thing in the world I would do to these ribs is dip them in bbq sauce. They were like an amazing ribeye cooked to perfection. You wouldn't dare put steak sauce on it. The smokey flavor was euphoric! They were also perfectly cooked as you can tell by the bite pic. I simply cannot imagine eating a better rib.

On to the brisket. They are nice enough to ask, do you want lean or juicy brisket? I had both just to compare. I generally only like the flat. Not tonight. The point was so unbelievably good. Ninty percent of the fat had rendered out, leaving the meat, what I can only assume, is just this side of what heaven must be like! The bark was like crack, and again all they use is salt and pepper. It was cooked so perfectly that I couldn't bring myself to use a fork to cut it. I had to pick up each slice and pull bites off because it came apart so perfectly. Using a fork seemed so disrespectful to the pitmaster. Haha

On to the pulled pork. It too was exactly how I like it. It had plenty of bark, good smokey flavor and had big pulls. I loved it.

Jalepeno sausage was like candy! it went so well with the rolls which had a bit of a sweet flavor. I could sit down to a whole sausage and kill it any day of the week. I would have liked it to be a bit hotter, but I have a high heat tolerance.

The sides at Hutchins aren't really anything to write home about, but I don't care at all. I go there for the bbq. The free cobbler, ice cream, and banana pudding is just the cherry on top of a great meal. If you are anywhere in the area, you must make a trip to Hutchins just about a mile from historic downtown McKinney.

Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Somebody posted a pic of some really nice looking briskets in Pre-lunch mode from this place on my FB page this am.
Looked first rate.
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Is this east or west of 75 on 380
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Is this east or west of 75 on 380
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 pm

sparetimetoys wrote:Is this east or west of 75 on 380

That's it, about 3 miles down on the right.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Fri May 17, 2013 8:26 am

I went again last night. It's 1.4 miles past HWY 75. Tried the pulled pork last night. It was awesome! It was so good that I didn't even think about putting any sauce on it. I just love that place. The waitress offered to make us some fresh home fries and delivered them to us, kept filling up our drinks and bringing us more meat as we cleared our plates. It's just a place you can't help but like.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 am

Over towards old downtown to the East side of I-75.

Discount coupons

http://gititlocal.com/hutchins_coupon
Last edited by Damon54 on Wed May 22, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Wed May 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Damon54 wrote:Over towards old downtown to the East side of I-35.

Discount coupons

Cool thanks. Gotta go to McKinney this weekend and watch ours nephews kiddo. I'm going to make use of those coupons. :salut:
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Wed May 22, 2013 3:49 pm

sparetimetoys wrote:
Damon54 wrote:Over towards old downtown to the East side of I-35.

Discount coupons

Cool thanks. Gotta go to McKinney this weekend and watch ours nephews kiddo. I'm going to make use of those coupons. :salut:

You will love it. You owe it to yourself to get the All-You-Can-Eat. Its only a buck or two more than 3 meat and you can get a little sampler off all 7 or 8 meats that they have. Its so worth it.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
mildbill USER_AVATAR
MildBill
Wrangler

Postby MildBill » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:32 pm

We went there last Saturday night. Whenever we ask anyone about BBQ around Plano this is the place that is mentioned most often. The place was easy to find (Thanks to the GPS on my iphone :lol: )

I got the all you can eat dinner like others have mentioned on this thread. I asked the guy cutting meat several questions but never got an answer (I don't think his English was the greatest) Because of the lack of information I didn't get any sides because I was lead to believe the price was for the meat only. (I'm still not sure how it works lol)

The chopped brisket was awesome. Very favorable. I also love the jalapeno sausage. The ham was good too but I really pigged out on the brisket and sausage.

My girlfriend got macaroni and cheese for her side. It just seemed like boiled noodles in milk. pretty tasteless but her jalapeno beans was awesome! I could have made a meal out of those!

I also like the banana pudding. (I saved just enough room for a small portion..lol)

All in all it was one of the best BBQ meals in Texas. I can see why it made the Top 50 BBQ joints in Texas by D magazine!
Life is not like a box of chocolates... It's more like a jar of jalapenos: What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow!
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:15 pm

MildBill wrote:We went there last Saturday night. Whenever we ask anyone about BBQ around Plano this is the place that is mentioned most often. The place was easy to find (Thanks to the GPS on my iphone :lol: )

I got the all you can eat dinner like others have mentioned on this thread. I asked the guy cutting meat several questions but never got an answer (I don't think his English was the greatest) Because of the lack of information I didn't get any sides because I was lead to believe the price was for the meat only. (I'm still not sure how it works lol)

The chopped brisket was awesome. Very favorable. I also love the jalapeno sausage. The ham was good too but I really pigged out on the brisket and sausage.

My girlfriend got macaroni and cheese for her side. It just seemed like boiled noodles in milk. pretty tasteless but her jalapeno beans was awesome! I could have made a meal out of those!

I also like the banana pudding. (I saved just enough room for a small portion..lol)

All in all it was one of the best BBQ meals in Texas. I can see why it made the Top 50 BBQ joints in Texas by D magazine!

Outstanding. I'm glad someone else listened! This place is a gold mine. I agree macaroni, not so much. I go for meats though. I love the home fries. If you get to go back, once you sit down, ask a waitress to havef them make you a side of fries. They are great.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:20 pm

We had some stuff to do in town this AM it was about 11 so we popped in. First folks in the door. I got the sliced brisket and momma got the chopped. The sliced was so tender i could have left my teeth at home. I was not thrilled with the chopped im not a big lots of sauce guy. I like how Andersons in dallas does it where i put on as much or little sauce as i like. The sides were sides im not a fan of things that take up meat space. We will go back when we have more time to get more than a quick sandwich. Oh yea for our butcher paper wrap guys they had the extra briskets rolled up in white parer.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”