Dickey's

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Dickey's

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:51 am

Sunday I wanted some BBQ so my son and I were gonna stop by Cousins and grab a plate to go. Well, Cousins is closed on Sundays so I remembered that Dickey's was just down the road.

My son got a chopped sandwich, but to be honest I never have questioned what he thought about it.

I got the brisket/sausage plate. Was pleasantly surprised.

The brisket was a little too tender. In fact I couldn't stab it with my fork because it kept falling apart, so I had to scoop it up. Had decent flavor though. The sausage was pretty good and they gave plenty of it. Sauce was pretty good.

For the sides, I chose jalapeno beans and they gave more than enough. They tasted like they opened a can of Ranch Style beans and added a little bit of jalapeno to it.

My other side was Au Grautien (sp) potatoes. They were so-so. All they did was dump cheese sauce over potatoes.

So, the meats were good, but I will try different sides next time.

Anyway, I will add this to my short list of local BBQ joints.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:21 am

Shoulda grabbed you a bowl of the peach cobbler with ice cream. Yum yum.

bigwheel
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:55 pm

I have been to Dickey's a couple time when I'm up in Waco. We had one in Round Rock, but it didn't last very long and closed up shop.

I did like their potato salad and slaw, I also had the brisket and sausage plate, sausage is pretty good, brisket was OK.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:19 pm

Best deal in the house is the veggie platter. Thats whut I usually get along with the cobbler for dessert. Nice black fella from deep E. Texas ran one down here for a good while. He was highly addicted to heavy smoked offset pork butts..which was not on his menu. He would order em and I would cook em. He say they was much mo betta than whut he served:) Course he did not do butts and say it be against the health goon laws to chunk any on his Oylers. He cooked large amounts of small brisket 18 hrs on the Rotess. You could eat it with a spoon..in fact they so mushy you nearly have to. Shut down..not enough bizness.

bigwheel
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:56 am

Dickey's is OK...I prefer it to anything else (Spring Creek and Randy Whites) we have in Frisco.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Weber 22”
Weber 18"
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:59 am

Dickeys is avergage Q for Texas, some of the better stuff for Dallas. I think they get their sausage from Rudolphs Meat Market (as most bbq places in DFw do).

I like their tradition of a free soft serve ice cream cone after a plate of Q.....hard to beat that.
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:02 am

Yeah I think Dickeys does a fine job especially when you consider they are franchised....
tarde venientibus ossa....
Hex
Pilgrim

Postby Hex » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:56 pm

bowhnter wrote:Dickey's is OK...I prefer it to anything else (Spring Creek and Randy Whites) we have in Frisco.

Well now someone here said Randy White's closed.
Was there another one that did? or did they all? How many were there? Where?
and again is this the Footballer Randy White?
Did he actually own and/or operate one of the joints?

thanks
:texas: ~~HeX~~ :texas:
Hex
Pilgrim

Postby Hex » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:10 pm

bigwheel wrote: He was highly addicted to heavy smoked offset pork butts..which was not on his menu. He would order em and I would cook em. He say they was much mo betta than whut he served:) Course he did not do butts and say it be against the health goon laws to chunk any on his Oylers. He cooked large amounts of small brisket 18 hrs on the Rotess. You could eat it with a spoon..in fact they so mushy you nearly have to. Shut down..not enough bizness.

bigwheel

Wheel,
what is a offset pork butt ?

What's Oylers ?

Is mushy so it can be et with a spoon good? or not good?

thanks
:texas: ~~HeX~~ :texas:
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:17 pm

Well, I ain't BW, but I might can point ya in the correct direction since I've soft of taken the wheelspeak on-line class...

offset butts is just that... butts that be cooked in an offset cooker in offset heat mode...

Oylers are BBQ pits...
http://www.jrmanufacturing.com/oylerb.html

HtHs,
James.
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:03 pm

Hex wrote:
bowhnter wrote:Dickey's is OK...I prefer it to anything else (Spring Creek and Randy Whites) we have in Frisco.

Well now someone here said Randy White's closed.
Was there another one that did? or did they all? How many were there? Where?
and again is this the Footballer Randy White?
Did he actually own and/or operate one of the joints?

thanks

Randy White's here in Frisco did close, but just get another one built ac ross the street. I am not sure if there are more than this one, but if the help was like this one, I wouldn't go in. Yep, the Randy White of the Dallas Cowboys owns it/them.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Weber 22”
Weber 18"
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:06 pm

I ate at Randy White's Frisco once.
tarde venientibus ossa....
catfishd
Pilgrim

Postby catfishd » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Ya Randy Whites gets alot of bussiness for some reason. The Q is not all that great and the service does suck. I know it is not Q but if I am in that area I eat at Brothers. Good southern little cafe.
bigtex52
Pilgrim

Postby bigtex52 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:15 pm

I used to like Dickey's but the stores in Carrollton and Addison have gotten really bad. The meat is gray and tastes baked or boiled and the sides are the worst. I called back to complain and ended up talking to the Pakistani manager who could hardly speak English. He wasn't very sympathetic and suggested I might not know what real BBQ tastes like and told me it was ok to his taste. I won't waste my time there any more. Roland Dickey's Dad would roll over in his grave to see what the Dickey food has become.
txbbqman
Pilgrim

Postby txbbqman » Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 pm

I tried to eating the "bbq" at the dickeys in the mall over by my house and it was awful.....

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”