Taking hot wing orders for Super Bowl. Got a Question though

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:43 am

Hey all, i am considering taking orders for my hotwings for super bowl sunday. this will be the first time i sold them. not sure how to price them though. usually i get my wings from Costco at approximately $22 for 10 lbs. i believe they run about 6 uncooked wings per pound. i do a dry rub instead of any sauce also so the additional costs would be charcoal and seasonings, which isn't all that much. not sure how to price them out. any suggestions?

thanks

Mark
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Taking hot wing orders for Super Bowl. Got a Question though

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 am

What does Buffalo wild wings get for an order of six wings?
That is a start I guess. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:36 am

If you don't mind me asking this, ?where? (location) do you plan on doing this ?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:34 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:If you don't mind me asking this, ?where? (location) do you plan on doing this ?

Houston. why? interested in placing an order? :D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:47 pm

:laughing7: :D :lol: do Y'all deliver within a radius of 60 miles :?:

depending on the other vendors, you should do well, if you cook well so Good Luck :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:16 pm

riseabove50 wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:If you don't mind me asking this, ?where? (location) do you plan on doing this ?

What part of Houston?
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:52 pm

riseabove50 wrote:Hey all, i am considering taking orders for my hotwings for super bowl sunday. this will be the first time i sold them. not sure how to price them though. usually i get my wings from Costco at approximately $22 for 10 lbs. i believe they run about 6 uncooked wings per pound. i do a dry rub instead of any sauce also so the additional costs would be charcoal and seasonings, which isn't all that much. not sure how to price them out. any suggestions?

thanks

Mark

When I order wings from a restaurant they are typically around $1 each.
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:02 pm

GRailsback wrote:
riseabove50 wrote:

What part of Houston?

NW Houston - Jersey Village area. i normally open up orders to friends and family way in advance of an event which helps me plan accurately what i need to cook. i know my limit of how many pork butts i can fit and how many wings i can grill. when my orders are full, i close the books and cook the orders i've got.
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:11 pm

did some number crunching. results - if i did the math right, i get better profit margin if i sell wings by the pound rather than by the unit/wing. since i don't have a handful of wings in front of me, i went on google which said one pound of wings was approximately 7-10 pieces depending on the varying sizes. but a pound is a pound is a pound, and that helps with the accuracy of my costs more than unit price does.

thanks for the help all!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Is that based on the drummet, the wing side or a mixture? If you sell by the lb. do you distribute the two sides evenly or just throw them in the bag?

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:26 pm

k.a.m. wrote:Is that based on the drummet, the wing side or a mixture? If you sell by the lb. do you distribute the two sides evenly or just throw them in the bag?

i would assume an even mix of both, but i'm open to suggestions.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Two factors I don't see accounted for.... Time and Shrinkage.

Doing this for entertainment and simply trying to recoup your material costs is totally different than paying yourself ($10.00/hr??) in addition to materials.

You'll loose weight during the cook process. Butts and briskets are notorious for 40% (or more) loss by weight when cooking. Chances are chicken wings won't loose quite that much but a 10 lb. frozen bag likely won't yield 10 lb. of cooked product.

Good luck and share your lessons learned and or pricing. Catering is a tough business.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:23 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:Two factors I don't see accounted for.... Time and Shrinkage.

Doing this for entertainment and simply trying to recoup your material costs is totally different than paying yourself ($10.00/hr??) in addition to materials.

You'll loose weight during the cook process. Butts and briskets are notorious for 40% (or more) loss by weight when cooking. Chances are chicken wings won't loose quite that much but a 10 lb. frozen bag likely won't yield 10 lb. of cooked product.

Good luck and share your lessons learned and or pricing. Catering is a tough business.

good points all KAM. thanks for the wisdom.

i've actually done some calculations on fuel, seasonings and packaging. i have also considered the yield issue. i actually brine my wings prior to cooking which helps some with the weight issue - not a lot, but some.

also, i'm not actually catering publicly. i'm only spreading the word to friends and family that i'll be firing up for Super Bowl, and if they want something to eat for the game, i tell them what's available and what i'm asking for it. so it helps having exactly the right amount of food to prepare with minimal surprises. i'm not really ready to make a living doing this. it's more for a few extra bucks on the side every once in a while. and i don't mind spending a day by my smoker anyway, even if i was cooking only for me - so i don't really worry about paying myself just yet. although, that is definitely something for me to keep in mind further on down the road.

again, thanks for the wisdom!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Some folks have preferences on winget or drummet. I think for ease of distribution I would go equal pieces to an order this way you do not get hung with more of one than the other.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
naptownsmoker USER_AVATAR
NaptownSmoker
Pilgrim

Postby NaptownSmoker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Talpatalk issues.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”