Should I even bother with this Grill?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RubenZ
Pilgrim

Should I even bother with this Grill?

Postby RubenZ » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:51 pm

I was going to scrap a few $$$'s to buy first real pit but my dad won this in a raffle and said I could have it. Its kinda of poorly welded together. Do you think this grill will do a good job of smoking a few Racks of Ribs , chickens etc. Main Pit are is 20" x 22" and the smoker box area is 18"x18-20". I'm still thinking of saving up to get something better.

ImageIMG_2408 by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Should I even bother with this Grill?

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:11 pm

I bet you can learn it well enough to get you through. Use it and take the time to save up and get what you really want. Nice of your Dad to give it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:14 am

Cooking on a small chamber can test your patience but it makes you a better PitMaster in the end because you have leaned fire management on a smaller cooker which is hard to do. On long cooks you will have to replenish the coals with a chimney of lump or charcoal because they require such a small coal base to run. Using splits about 12" x 3" is the best for that cooker.
I agree with bsooner75 use it and enjoy the gift from your dad while you save for what you really want. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:14 am

Use it! You are basically learning for free as opposed to spending money on a pit you really want. I agree with KAM, I had a 500 gallon propane tank on wheels that would "purr" once it was up to temp. Sold it and now cook on a Lang 36" patio pit and it is a lot different managing the fire. It will be a great learning pit for you. Enjoy!
Bockbock
Dillo Q
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:36 am

The only thing I see wrong with that pit is the STAR on it!! :laughing7:
agree with the others use it and you will learn a lot. cant ever have too many smokers.

RG
RubenZ
Pilgrim

Postby RubenZ » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:39 am

Thanks everyone. I will try it out this weekend and let you know. My wife says I have too many BBQ pits ( Weber Smoker 18", Weber Kettle 22", Weber Little Joe, my Lion Gas Grill ). So I was looking for a offset smoker I could use as my grilling pit and smoker pit so I can put away the others and make our patio cleaner.
iridelow USER_AVATAR
iRIDElow
Wrangler

Postby iRIDElow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:24 am

with that logo it will probably get you all excited and leave you in a lot of disappointment. lol

seriously the pit should do you just fine until you can get what you really want. tweak this one, and make it cook well for you....also removing that star of course
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:01 pm

You'll learn a lot, it's free, and you can always peddle if off later on Craigslist. That's a big firebox for that cooker, almost as big as the chamber. It will burn hot unless you go miserly with the wood or lump, good if grilling but will cause you to work harder if smoking.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
RubenZ
Pilgrim

Postby RubenZ » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks all.
ruffrida2005 USER_AVATAR
ruffrida2005
Pilgrim

Postby ruffrida2005 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:18 pm

That should work fine. I smoke a lot on one about that same size on my drilling rig. Like everyone else said the fire box will get really how fast, so you'll have to watch your temp. Made a Que on it though. If it doesn't have some kind of plate at the firebox opening I would put one. It will help control the food from burning where it comes into the smoke box.
RubenZ
Pilgrim

Postby RubenZ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:53 am

ruffrida2005 wrote:That should work fine. I smoke a lot on one about that same size on my drilling rig. Like everyone else said the fire box will get really how fast, so you'll have to watch your temp. Made a Que on it though. If it doesn't have some kind of plate at the firebox opening I would put one. It will help control the food from burning where it comes into the smoke box.

Ya, it doesn't have a plate. I'm going to weld something up I can open and close. I actually made 4 Chicken leg quarters, some beef ribs and Pork Tenderloin last night on it and it came out good. Just need to find tune the heating. It was getting hot fast. Too much air in the pits.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”