Decisions Decisions Decisions

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Gencom
Pilgrim

Decisions Decisions Decisions

Postby Gencom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Hello all,

I could really use some help in deciding on my next upgrade, ( alittle back story ) I was working over in the southern Austin area one day, and ventured in a little town called lockheart, I tasted some mighty good Q there and I have been chasing that taste ever since. ( I also like Rudy's Brisket ). I started my pit venture a few years ago like alot of people lol, I went out and bout a Brinkman. i used the brinkman for awhile, and even though I turned out good Q I was still not close to the lockheart bbq i had. I upgraded from my brinkman to a 18" WSM and after learning the way it work I started once again turning out good Q, alsa that flavor profile was missing and the surface area needed to be larger, so I bought a 22' wsm and it was a bit different as far as how it handles fuel and temp swings It was much the same..

Which brings me to this, Im upgrading to a stick burner now, I just don't think a WSM can produce the same flavor profile as a stick burner (I'm guessing rubs will be what gets modified next) and I have a choice between a Lang 36 Hybrid or a LSG 24x48 with smoker box ( its used and could use a little TLC ). Given these aren't even remotely close to being the same cooker, anyone have any input on helping me decide? I think I might out grow the lang 36, however I know dripping hit the underside and sizzle and impart flavor ( is this the same as the PBC I have ) ? The LSG smoker as i said has some rust etc, and comes with tuning plates, its however also 800 more ( 1800.00 ). I want this to be a solid decision that i can learn master and continue cooking great bbq.

If you had to choose... Which and Why??
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Decisions Decisions Decisions

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:16 pm

I've seen LSG pits up front and they are nice. I'd price compare a similar model new on their website just to make sure it's a decent deal. They are well made and have a reputation for excellent customer service. Company is just outside of Houston.

Lang has a good reputation as well. I believe they are mostly if not all reverse flow. They are built in Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
Gencom
Pilgrim

Postby Gencom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:27 pm

bsooner75 wrote:I've seen LSG pits up front and they are nice. I'd price compare a similar model new on their website just to make sure it's a decent deal. They are well made and have a reputation for excellent customer service. Company is just outside of Houston.

Lang has a good reputation as well. I believe they are mostly if not all reverse flow. They are built in Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75

attached a photo of the lsg model its a 2013 the guy says..

smoker.jpg
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:48 pm

1800 is a fair price that pit is 3300 new. I would show up with 1500 in cash show the wad and tell him "I got 15 all in" stick out your hand and say, "Do we have a deal??" They never want to see the wad go back into your pocket. ;) :laughing7:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Gencom
Pilgrim

Postby Gencom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:02 pm

So you don't think the condition is too rough? Only advantage I see the Lang having is the char-griller side and being about 900 cheaper. Since I didn't have a truck the 1800 was delivered. I know there are camps on both sides of tuning plates vs reversed low .. Lol I just don't want to regret a decision. But that LSG looks likes it has a TON of room lol
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Gencom.

I'm not familiar with either smoker. As long as the firebox isn't burned out (which I doubt it is) the LSG looks like it has good air flow and will burn clean (I'm guessing there is adequate intake on the firebox). Like you said there is a lot of room which you'll find helpful when cooking different meats at the same time. If it's used that just means it's already seasoned. :lol:
Gencom
Pilgrim

Postby Gencom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Well the guy selling the LSG actually lives along my drive home ironically so I asked could I stop by and take some photos. There's a lot of rust as i said, but its built heavy.. The only thing i really saw was the lid on top of the firebox was not flush as if it was slightly warped. he said last time he used it, he noticed there was a little smoke coming out from there. i'll let you guys chime in on that..

Lots of photos...
Attachments
IMG_3422.JPG
IMG_3421.JPG
IMG_3420.JPG
IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3418.JPG
IMG_3417.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG
IMG_3415.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3412.JPG
Gencom
Pilgrim

Postby Gencom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:10 pm

and...

i'd rather you pro's look it over and give your opinion... Thanks

I'd thought there would be more tuning plates.

He said if he sets 250 in the horizontal chamber the vertical smoker runs 220-230... that would be awesome if true...
Attachments
IMG_3431.JPG
IMG_3430.JPG
IMG_3429.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG
IMG_3425.JPG
IMG_3424.JPG
IMG_3423.JPG
Gencom
Pilgrim

Postby Gencom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:14 pm

lang 36...
Attachments
lang.jpeg
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:23 pm

The rust wouldn't be an issue to me. I also wouldn't worry about the gap in the firebox lid. If it's an issue you can go to bbqgaskets.com and get a gasket for about $20. I like the idea of the lid being on top of the firebox as it's easier to replace since the top of a firebox is usually what fails first. I like the 2-4" smoke stacks. I bet she runs clean (not a lot of heavy smoke). To me that's important. If you can get her delivered to your casa for $1500 that'd be a good deal (IMO).
Gencom
Pilgrim

Postby Gencom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:30 pm

I believe that lid is just for like grilling steaks and burgers correct? Everything else is through the side door. Looks like I may need to invest in a few chords of wood lol
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Rust on the FB is inevitable on a stickburner unless it's insulated, wire wheel it brush it with ospho and repaint it with header paint.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:18 am

Personally I would go with the LSG they are better built than the lang and this one has a ton of room.
The cooker no doubt has been neglected but as long as the rust is just surface rust and not thin from severe rust that cooker has years left in it. As for the firebox lid if it were mine I would grind off the handle and weld it shut it is not needed. If you want to grill a steak use a grill that is my thoughts on those options. Try to haggle with him with cash in hand letting him know that you want to bring her back to pristine shape and if he bites find a blaster that can blast the cooker and put a Zinc primer and top coat on her then you will be set.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Gencom
Pilgrim

Postby Gencom » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:28 am

there is a photo i took with the firebox door open.... the grate inside seems to have sag in the middle.. is this ok, or am i looking at purchasing new grates? i don't want to spend close to a new one lol ..

*Side note* just got a quoute for 700.00 to blast this thing.... no way

academy has this "replica" i may go check out

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-all-american-angus-smoker?repChildCatid=243852
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:55 am

Gencom wrote:there is a photo i took with the firebox door open.... the grate inside seems to have sag in the middle.. is this ok, or am i looking at purchasing new grates? i don't want to spend close to a new one lol ..

*Side note* just got a quoute for 700.00 to blast this thing.... no way

academy has this "replica" i may go check out

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-all-american-angus-smoker?repChildCatid=243852

The sag between the bars is normal because of the heat on the expanded metal. You can replace the expanded metal or just get a piece and lay on top when that one burns through.

If you can get the seller down that 700.00 you're money ahead having the cooker blasted and painted.
The old country is 3/16" steel the LSG is probably 1/4". Big difference.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”