Any Competition BBQ'rs Out There?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Any Competition BBQ'rs Out There?

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:26 pm

We, my son Daniel and I, compete under the name Double D's BBQ. Also have an Army buddy that helps me out with anything mechanical. We compete with a Jedmaster rotisserie smoker. I have also added a Stumps GF 223 and am waiting delivery on a FEC-100 pellet cooker from Cookshack.

This was our first year competing under the Double D's name. We did three comps and placed in one category in each one. Took a 6th in Chicken at the Cabela's cookoff in Michigan, a second in pork at Oinktoberfest in N.Y. and a third in pork in Nelsonville, OH. All are KCBS comps. Looking to add a couple more next year.

I'd like to here if anyone else is competing or thinking about it. Be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:33 pm

I'm looking to compete this year. I entered a contest in Tennessee last August but it ended up being cancelled. I wanted to cook Nelsonville but had to go out of town. So hopefully this year I will be able to do a couple.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
ddog27 USER_AVATAR
ddog27
Rustler

Postby ddog27 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:07 pm

We only have two contests in Arizona, so far, but I compete in both of them. I am thinking I might start to expand my contest attendance to New Mexico and California. We compete under the name D-dog's BBQ. :D
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:16 pm

Welcome dog, glad to have you aboard!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Re: Any Competition BBQ'rs Out There?

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:16 pm

Dallas wrote:We, my son Daniel and I, compete under the name Double D's BBQ. Also have an Army buddy that helps me out with anything mechanical. We compete with a Jedmaster rotisserie smoker. I have also added a Stumps GF 223 and am waiting delivery on a FEC-100 pellet cooker from Cookshack.

This was our first year competing under the Double D's name. We did three comps and placed in one category in each one. Took a 6th in Chicken at the Cabela's cookoff in Michigan, a second in pork at Oinktoberfest in N.Y. and a third in pork in Nelsonville, OH. All are KCBS comps. Looking to add a couple more next year.

I'd like to here if anyone else is competing or thinking about it. Be glad to answer any questions you may have.

You have a great logo. Some of ya'll are really into this and I like it. What goes on at a competition? Do you just cook your specialty, let judges taste it, and go home? How many prizes do they pay out? Sounds like you could rack up a lot of expense with very little payout opportunity. Souns a lot like fishing. :wink: :lol:
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:25 pm

HOF, you're right a lot of expense and very little money coming in. I cook in KCBS competitions. There are four categories chicken, ribs, pork, and brisket! Each category is judged on appearance, tenderness, and taste, with the taste score double weighted. The entries are placed in a styrofoam box, usually garnished with green leaf lettuce and then judged at a table of 6 judges. It is a double blind system. When you receive your turn in boxes at the Friday night cooks meeting your boxes will have a number on it. When you turn in your meets the next day, a new number will be place on your box.

Most of the entry fees are around $200. I usually spend over $200 on meats. Add in the cost of gas, food for the cooks, cost of preparing sauces and rubs and it's not unusual to lay out $800 for a contest. The highest payoff I got last year was about $225 for taking second in Pork in New York. So we are definitely not in it for the money. It's a lot of fun you make a lot of friends at these contests and you'll likely see them again at other contests. It's definitely more about braggging rights and comradarie. I can tell you this though for a competitive sport you'll never run into a bunch of guys and gals that won't go out of their way to try and help you if you need it. For me that's what makes it all worth while.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
chris r USER_AVATAR
Chris R
Pilgrim

Postby Chris R » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:54 pm

I compeated for the first time last time last year. I learend alot about compeating and had a great time. This year I hope to do a few comps and to become a CBJ.

Chris
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:58 pm

Chris R wrote:I compeated for the first time last time last year. I learend alot about compeating and had a great time. This year I hope to do a few comps and to become a CBJ.

Chris

Chris, what's a CBJ?
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
chris r USER_AVATAR
Chris R
Pilgrim

Postby Chris R » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:03 pm

HOF wrote:
Chris R wrote:I compeated for the first time last time last year. I learend alot about compeating and had a great time. This year I hope to do a few comps and to become a CBJ.

Chris

Chris, what's a CBJ?

Cirtifed (Sp?) bbq judge. There are classes that the KCBS runs that allows you to judge contests.

Chris
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:16 pm

Good to see you Chris. I am a KCBS CBJ also.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
finney USER_AVATAR
Finney
Pilgrim

Postby Finney » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:33 pm

I think I'm taking the KCBS class this month. I compete on two teams. The "Pigs on the Wing" team out of Charleston, SC and the BBQ-4-U.com team comprised of member from several states. The "Pigs" team pays off better than the other. Must be the teammates. :roll:
Iron Pig BBQ Competition Cooking Team - www.IronPigBBQ.com
"Reverse Sear" info website - www.ironpigbbq.com/Reverse-Sear.html
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:05 pm

You guys have to pay for and bring your own meat or is it included in the entry fee???....and how much meat do you cook at a average cook-off??....looks like this could get real expensive!!!! :shock:
LOW-n-SLOW
Pilgrim

Postby LOW-n-SLOW » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:22 pm

I am gonna cook in one this spring with a buddy of mine. He is a lot better than I am so I am going along as a learning experience.
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:45 pm

CoyoteBlues wrote:You guys have to pay for and bring your own meat or is it included in the entry fee???....and how much meat do you cook at a average cook-off??....looks like this could get real expensive!!!! :shock:

Yep, gotta buy and bring your own meat. Most folks cook:

2 Briskets ($40)
2-3 Pork Butts ($20-30)
3-5 Slabs of Ribs ($30-50) (Spares, BBs more expensive)
13-25 pieces of chicken. ($5-10)

So right around $95-130 for meat give or take a few dollars.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:42 pm

ddog27 wrote:We only have two contests in Arizona, so far, but I compete in both of them. I am thinking I might start to expand my contest attendance to New Mexico and California. We compete under the name D-dog's BBQ. :D

DDog,
You doing Rio Rancho this year. If I get my collective stuff together I was hoping to get there.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”