Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Shine
Pilgrim

Postby Shine » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:05 pm

Glad to get in on the ground floor on a website that should teach me alot. Ive Qed in several countries all over the world. Always love to learn more.
Shane
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Welcome aboard. Hey, share your experiences about Qing abroad. I'm always curious on how other lands do the Q.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:38 am

Welcome Shine,

Would love to hear those stories about Q'ing abroad (no, I'm not talking women!). I know that England is into it big time as is Germany but I've never cooked outside the country so l'm looking forward to hearing about it.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
redfin
Pilgrim

Postby redfin » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:24 am

Redfin here. I love to cook and I'm a newby to the Bar-B-Que cooking world and hope to pick up a lot of info here to start me in the right direction. First thing is to purchase a new smoker/grill combo that is relatively inexpensive but will also maintain the correct temps. I would basically be cooking no more than a medium sized ham, a couple racks of ribs and a medium sized turkey at the same time. I'd also be interested in the different types of wood to use and the flavor they may represent.

I expect to be visiting this site quite often, so thanks Dan and Cheryl!!!

Any suggestions on brand name smokers would be appreciated.
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:42 am

Welcome Dan,

I've gone through a lot of smokers and grills and for someone just starting out, you can't go wrong with a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and a Weber grill. If you're looking for something a little more upscale that can cook in all kinds of weather especially cold weather I'd recommend a ceramic cooker either a Big Green Egg or a Primo Brand Cooker. On the ceramics you can smoke, grill, bake, make pizza's. They will do it all. They are definitley more pricey. A WSM will run you about $200 and you might be able to find them cheaper in the winter. The Big Green Eggs and Oval depending on the size will run you between $500-800 but it's money well spent.

Welcome to the forum and ask plenty of questions. The people here have the answers.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:57 am

Welcome Shine. :) I too would love to hear some tales about q'ing abroad and post some pics if you have them.

Redfin, welcome to the board. :) I agree with Dallas' recommendations for the WSM and a Weber kettle (22.5"). You can probably get the combo for $275 this time of year (Amazon has the WSM for $204.87 with free shipping right now and Home Depot carries several Weber kettles year around). With that pair, you can pretty muchdo anything you want.
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:49 am

Welcome Shine and Redfin, look forward to talkin to yall.

Redfin, Dallas and Bill are right, the WSM is a great little smoker and an inexpensive way to get started.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:56 am

welcome aboard shine.

I still use my first weber. :D
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”