Hello from East Texas

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Hello from East Texas

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:23 am

I'm a slow learner evidenced by the fact I didn't put my intro up yesterday. BBQ is one of my comfort foods, along with bisquets and gravy, fried okra, and any cobbler.

Our family has been blessed to visit almost every state in the country and I do believe East Texas has the most BBQ joints to choose from. It's just a happy coincendence we now call it home.

A couple of years ago we lived in the Pacific Northwest and I got hooked on smoking fresh fish. Catching and smoking you're own salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon is heaven on earth.

Now that we're back in Texas our family is enjoying the rebirth of brisket q's here. I've got a long ways to go but am excited to be a part of a forum of q experts and look forward to learning.

I have two pot webers and a smokey mountain gas smoker. Now that I'm in Texas I guess I'll have to find an all wood smoker. :D

HOF :D
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:27 am

Well Wellcome HOF,

What does HOF stand for, Hall of Fame? For us non-Texans what part of east Texas are you from - closest city we might have heard of?

Looking forward to hearing any brisket tips you can share with us!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Re: Hello from East Texas

Postby Big Mike » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:28 am

HOF wrote:I'm a slow learner evidenced by the fact I didn't put my intro up yesterday. BBQ is one of my comfort foods, along with bisquets and gravy, fried okra, and any cobbler.

Our family has been blessed to visit almost every state in the country and I do believe East Texas has the most BBQ joints to choose from. It's just a happy coincendence we now call it home.

A couple of years ago we lived in the Pacific Northwest and I got hooked on smoking fresh fish. Catching and smoking you're own salmon, steelhead, and sturgeon is heaven on earth.

Now that we're back in Texas our family is enjoying the rebirth of brisket q's here. I've got a long ways to go but am excited to be a part of a forum of q experts and look forward to learning.

I have two pot webers and a smokey mountain gas smoker. Now that I'm in Texas I guess I'll have to find an all wood smoker. :D

HOF :D

We seem to have a lot in common. Welcome aboard.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:33 am

Welcome HOF. :) I just so happen to have several Alaskan caught salmon fillets in the freezer and I'd luv to hear some of the better methods you have to smoke 'em. 8)
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:36 am

Did you catch that Alaska Salmon Bill? We went up to Alaska last summer for the first time. All you need was a net but I'm sure that's not legal. It was a vacation of a lifetime!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:38 am

Dallas wrote:Did you catch that Alaska Salmon Bill? We went up to Alaska last summer for the first time. All you need was a net but I'm sure that's not legal. It was a vacation of a lifetime!

No, never been there .. YET. Was sent to me this past Fall by someone I know up there. 8)
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:57 am

HOF,
Welcome aboard & Post often!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

HOF is short for Hooked on Fish

Tyler is the biggest city in our vacinity.

I'll start a fish smoker thread in the q section. Luv smoked salmon. MMMMM. Especially the ones I caught.
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:54 am

Glad to have you aboard HOF....post often and don't forget the pics!!
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Hey HOF...you and me is just about neighboring folk :lol: :lol:

Where around Tyler???

All the comfort foods you mentioned ...including BBQ....well is there any other foods ....weell...beside deer and wild pig :wink: :lol:
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:26 pm

CB, We live in Whitehouse. The Mayberry of Texas! :D
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:43 pm

HOF,

I am originally from Noonday.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:57 pm

Gator wrote:HOF,

I am originally from Noonday.

I ate at a pretty good plate lunch followed with a dreamy slice of coconut pie in Noonday only a couple of months ago. :D
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi HOF..welcome. Now we went to a cookoff in E. Texas one time (Terrell) where the local slabsavers and doughnut munchers had formed up a cookteam. We was parked fairly close so I mosied over there to say howdy do when I noticed their fire was smelling sorta funny. Got to investigating the situation and come to find out they was cooking with Pine. I say..where did yall get that wood? They say proudly..Some feller give it to us free. Good Lawdy Miz Claudy...that hit my funny bone like a ton of bricks. Time the word got out think every cook in the place made the rounds to get a whiff of that fire. Tell us that aint a common practice in E. Texas:)

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:47 pm

thats funny.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”