pruskis bbq pit build

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

spruski
Pilgrim

pruskis bbq pit build

Postby spruski » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:29 am

Hey guys I am new to this site, but sofar I think it is a great place. Well I am about to build my second pit (will post pic of the first one too) but this one will be on a bigger trailer, and my new BBQ Cookoff pit. I just got a 16 foot flatbed this will be my platform. The main chamber will be 5 foot of 24 in 1/2in thick pipe with the firebox being 24 in 1/2in pipe but only about 2 to 2 1/2 feet long. I plan on having two door each with two slide out racks. I also plan on covering the trailer with a roof and lights. I do have a question that I hope someone will reply. What size hole sould I use from the firebox to the main chamber, note this will not be a direct conection the chamber the firebox will be conected by a pipe to transfer the heat. I dont want any flames in the main chamber. please any info will be great.I plan on posting pic along the way. should have the first ones up today of the pipe and trailer. Thanks for looking
spruski
Pilgrim

Re: pruskis bbq pit build

Postby spruski » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:46 pm

old pit
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Nice lookin' pit. 8)
Jim
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:52 pm

This might help to calculate proper air flow requirements.

http://webpages.charter.net/tomchism/BB ... lators.htm" target="_blank
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Lookin forward to the new build. Like the "old" pit as well.
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
spruski
Pilgrim

Postby spruski » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:00 pm

new trailer
spruski
Pilgrim

Postby spruski » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:01 pm

another pic
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Good looking pit for sure!!!
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
spruski
Pilgrim

Postby spruski » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:07 pm

I am running my pit and firebox down the left side of my trailer. Do I need to get bigger springs or are the ones on there ok. 16 foot flatbed duel axle.
konrad_haskins USER_AVATAR
Konrad_Haskins
Rustler

Postby Konrad_Haskins » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:21 pm

I'm no exspurt but here is my free advice that is worth what you paid. It's not just how much weight the axles are rated for but if the pit is going down one side it's 50% of what the axles are rated for less a safety margin. Some of the biggest and most famous pit builders in Texas have had to stand behind their pits by buying upgraded axles after that math bit them in the tail after the bearings froze up. If you have 2x 1,500 axles and all the weight is on one side you only have 1,500 pounds less a safety margin as an example. You don't have 3,000 pounds less a safety margin unless the load is centered left to right.
Konrad Haskins, Pitmaster, http://www.BBQClass.com work, http://www.BBQHog.com play
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Looks like you have two 3,500 lb axles under the trailer and unless you plan on exceeding 5,500 lbs you should be fine. (Also check the bushings for wear) On other trailers that have had weak springs and sagged with weight added on one side, and were within the weight ratings of the axles for total trailer weight, we buy new springs for the heavier side and install them. If it still sags slightly we have kept the old springs and then we remove one leaf from the old pair and install it between the new leafs in the proper place and this takes out the sag rather inexpensivly. Just keep in mind when you get this heavy I would recommend brakes on both axles and the best trailer tires money can buy since you reaching the trailers limits. If you will be that heavy I would also recommend that you install this heavy suspension kit that will keep the axles tight and road worthy:

http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/1047"

Just my thoughts,
Brent
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:21 am

Nice pit spruski, looking forward to the new photos!
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:04 am

I'm with you...looking forward to seeing the new one..
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:20 pm

many good responses especially the ones dealing with axle weights and loads. one thing not mentioned is what else is going on the trailer besides the smoker and where will it be placed. if all your weight is only on one side, then you may have to deal with a lopsided(so to speak) trailer.
but if you balance the weight, the trailer should pull better. also remember when doing weight rating vs actual weight to take into account everything on the trailer and to subtract that from the weight ratings. and yes if you get real heavy, i advise having both axles with brakes on them. nothing like having a trailer faster than your truck. as far as spring go, you might want to remember that the stiffer the spring the more bounce. as is true with the opposite. definitely need to take a good measurement of anticipated end weight and placement of load.
simon USER_AVATAR
simon
Outlaw

Postby simon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:09 am

spruski wrote:The main chamber will be 5 foot of 24 in 1/2in thick pipe

Hi Spruski,

I´ve never heard of a 1/2 inch main chamber. My pit has a 1/2 inch firebox, but the main chamber is 1/4 inch.
I assume it will take a long time to heat up the pit, cause a big amount of metal must get warm...

Has anybody a 1/2 inch main chamber or know a 1/2 inch smoker ?

however, wish ya big success during the manufacutring and with the finished pit !
Greetings

Simon

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”