USA trip

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: USA trip

Postby GRailsback » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:05 am

Buckle up and have a great few days that you have left. And thanks to you and your family for visiting our Country.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Hopefully Y'all will see some Seals in your drive along the coastline - - - - I've only been to the Pacific once and fortunately it was up near the Hearst Castle and we saw lots of Seals that day. Another Beautiful Picture also :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 pm

[quote="Joernolav"]Another great day. Started with a visit to the Griffith observatory in Hollywood. Then a tour of walk of fame looking at all the stars in the pavement and the Mann Chinese theater. Ended the day with a walk up and down Rodeo drive in Beverly Hills. Watching all the luxury stores and more interesting for the boys: all the fancy cars. Very touristic but still fun.

Back in Santa Monica we found a nice steak restaurant called Meat on ocean. Had a great meal. Started with a small plate with bread manchego cheese and Parma ham. Then a porterhouse steak with three different sauces. Mashed potatoes and asparagus as sides. Tasted very good.

Loved Griffith Park, particularly the views and the cool bust of James Dean.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Yes. The view was great. A bit hazy when we were there, but still nice. I also liked all the great properties in the area.

Today we rented bikes and biked along the beach. Passed muscle beach and Venice beach and the around Marina del Rey. Marina was beautiful, Venice beach not. A lot of nice yachts. My 25 foot boat is nothing more than a dinghy on the yachts.

Tomorrow will be Universal Studios.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:46 pm

A few pictures of todays bike tour and from a walk out on the pier. Cool spot but too much people. Didn't see David Hasselhoff or Pamela Anderson thoug.ImageImageImageImageImage

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:36 am

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Only thing missing is a Hot Dog Stand and some of this Music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BchXkabxn4A
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 am

Beach boys are good. Love their music.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:10 am

Endless Summer one of the best albums ever.

If you have time, Duke’s in Huntington Beach is a great beach spot for dinner, a cousin of the one in Waikiki.

In West Hollywood, the bar in Sunset Tower Hotel is where Jennifer Aniston sometimes hangs out, but the creme de la creme is the Chateau Marmont. If you can get in, the restaurant is a great scene. Was in there one night while in El Lay (L.A.) for business and happened to glance at the table next to me and Val Kilmer was sitting there. This was before he porked up to about 250 pounds and had to flee the harpoon fishermen while walking the beach. As my wife said, “He went from stud to dud.” Makes all of our “Dad bods” look like Charles Atlas, so we Got that going for us. We now genuinely look good enough to match up with a Hollywood star at the Mr Universe contest.

Marmont is an unbelievable place and lots of history; Belushi croaked in Bungalow #3 which I understand is still there. All the great comedians die young, which explains why Kathy Griffin will live to be 90.
Attachments
FC3CF333-C485-4C47-9DA7-1FF8A971546B.jpeg
FC3CF333-C485-4C47-9DA7-1FF8A971546B.jpeg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
9921F4D2-763B-4E0C-9B26-C893A0E84AA9.jpeg
AC8A7732-5D15-4E00-9559-3F592CAB4BEA.jpeg
AC8A7732-5D15-4E00-9559-3F592CAB4BEA.jpeg (11.83 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 am

Ain't nobody wantin to be his Huckleberry nowadays...

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:15 am

Boots wrote:Endless Summer one of the best albums ever.

If you have time, Duke’s in Huntington Beach is a great beach spot for dinner, a cousin of the one in Waikiki.

In West Hollywood, the bar in Sunset Tower Hotel is where Jennifer Aniston sometimes hangs out, but the creme de la creme is the Chateau Marmont. If you can get in, the restaurant is a great scene. Was in there one night while in El Lay (L.A.) for business and happened to glance at the table next to me and Val Kilmer was sitting there. This was before he porked up to about 250 pounds and had to flee the harpoon fishermen while walking the beach. As my wife said, “He went from stud to dud.” Makes all of our “Dad bods” look like Charles Atlas, so we Got that going for us. We now genuinely look good enough to match up with a Hollywood star at the Mr Universe contest.

Marmont is an unbelievable place and lots of history; Belushi croaked in Bungalow #3 which I understand is still there. All the great comedians die young, which explains why Kathy Griffin will live to be 90.
Thanks for great tips.

We've been to Duke's at Waikiki a few times. Great place at the beach. Appreciate your suggestions regarding restaurants and bars. Not sure if my kids are allowed there?

Yesterday was spent in the Unversal studio. Fun place but way to much people. 2-3 hours line for each attraction. I knew this and hate crowds, the train through all the film sets was cool.

Can you guess the film's?ImageImageImageImage

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:39 am

Love the travelogue, NJ! And those rock formations..
Moink!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:54 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Love the travelogue, NJ! And those rock formations..
Thanks. Arches national park was very beautiful, but extremely hot. You have to walk a mile or two back and forth from the car to each arch. Not long, but with no shadow and about 100 degrees it actually is a struggle. We needed a lot of water.

Moab with these rocks and both national parks was our favourite too. That's because it's so different from what we see elsewhere. Another thing is that this place is filled with action packed activities you can participate in.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Joernolav wrote:
Boots wrote:Endless Summer one of the best albums ever.

Thanks for great tips.

We've been to Duke's at Waikiki a few times. Great place at the beach. Appreciate your suggestions regarding restaurants and bars. Not sure if my kids are allowed there?

Yesterday was spent in the Unversal studio. Fun place but way to much people. 2-3 hours line for each attraction. I knew this and hate crowds, the train through all the film sets was cool.

Can you guess the film's?ImageImageImageImage

Bates Motel from Psycho?
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:31 pm

That's one of them, yes.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Today is our last day. Going home tonight. Long flight. 11 hours to Munich and then 2 more to Oslo.

We've had a great vacation in your beautiful country. Lots of great places and friendly people. Thanks to all that have followed this little travelogue and thanks for all great tips underway.

Return to “General Discussion”