Wish Salsa lasted longer !

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Wish Salsa lasted longer !

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:23 am

:tup: I use Apple Cider Vinegar :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:46 am

I use Mrs. Wages Pickling & Canning Vinegar.
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:03 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I've never Preserved the combination of canned and fresh but something that you might consider also is to boil "ONLY" the fresh veggies and not the Canned Stuff ?????? Maybe Rambo or Willie has some thoughts since they've used the Canned Maters in with the other Fresh Veggies. :dont:
Thanks, I wondered about the canned stuff.
Rambo wrote:I don’t see any reason not too. As OUP said, I think it just brings all the flavors together. I don’t hard, rolling boil mine however. When it comes to a boil I reduce the heat and just let it simmer a while. Once I pour it up I do go straight to the water bath cooker and let that come to a rolling boil for five minutes with the jars in there then I pull and place on a wire rack. You’ll hear the kids sealing off, they make a clicking sound
Thanks, so are you saying to do the canned stuff also?
Rambo wrote:After the jars have set out for 30 minutes or so take your finger and push down on the center of the lid, it should be sucked down. If it moves down and then pops back up that jar didn’t seal and you’ll have to eat that one within a week or so. Just refrigerate it
Gotcha
OldUsedParts wrote:Google also says this: Clostridium botulinum bacteria are the main reason why pressure canning is absolutely necessary for canning low-acid food.
Which is why salsa which contains tomatoes has a high acid content that a water bath can be used? Also adding vinegar or lime juice increases the acid, correct?
Rambo wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:Google also says this: Clostridium botulinum bacteria are the main reason why pressure canning is absolutely necessary for canning low-acid food.

Which is why I add juice of one freshly squeezed lime and a cup of vinegar to my batches
So is there a specific amount of vinegar or lime juice to add to x amount of salsa to make it be in the safe zone to keep the nasties at Bay?
OldUsedParts wrote::tup: I use Apple Cider Vinegar :salut:
Thanks
Rambo wrote:I use Mrs. Wages Pickling & Canning Vinegar.
Thanks
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am

The Recipe that use and posted the link on calls for 1 1/4 cups of Cider Vinegar :idea:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:32 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:The Recipe that use and posted the link on calls for 1 1/4 cups of Cider Vinegar :idea:
Thanks
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:05 pm

Bump for OUP. The can you’re looking for is on page one of this thread
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:20 pm

Thanks, Pard, looks like I need to go to Wally World instead of HEB - - - :whiteflag:
No Prob, the Wife loves to go there - - - so I'll get some and add the goodies.

Return to “General Discussion”