Power outage

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Power outage

Postby egghead » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:54 pm

Power back on about six hours ago. It went down again on two streets next to us so we may be in store for more. We got an email from AEP that we were out for 34 hours and 11 minutes.

So this morning’s bath was brought to you by the crab boil pot. :laughing7: Heated up the water, sans crab boil seasoning, and into the house.
Attachments
CED77F2A-1C7E-4C5E-86C9-AB2AD533BC54.jpeg
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 am

GRailsback wrote:
GTR wrote:Well by the grace of the Man upstairs, we’ve had power for the last 45 minutes. House temp at 57* and climbing. Not out of the woods yet but can relax a minute or two.
We have both agreed come Monday we will be getting a generator that will power the entire house and new windows. Ours are going on 30 and really should have already been replaced. Also doesn’t help our 6 north facing windows are leaded glass, so NO insulation.
Keeping the faith, this like all things will pass. :texas:

You may want to wait a little bit on the whole house generator. There will be a big run on them and probably put the price through the roof. But you can get the gas company lined up to come out and upgrade your gas meter.

If I don’t have power back by morning I will go get the motorhome out of storage and bring it home and start running the ice boxes off the generator.

But we will also be putting in a whole house generator. Had I been out of town this would have been difficult on the warden.

It will be mid-summer before it really happens. just going to start figuring how big is needed and what kinda $'s. My home is all electric the only gas is propane for the pool. Generator will be propane as well.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:09 am

I have done a fair amount of research on them. It basically comes down to how much you want to run when you are without power. And that will determine the size you need. Fortunately where mine will go is right next to the breaker panel and gas meter. Won’t be much utility running expense for me.
decherdt
Pilgrim

Postby decherdt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:37 am

all electric, 34 hour power outage here, with a record 2 below zero outside Looks like my heirloom tomato seedlings froze in the house.
Had to grill burgers on the kettle ;-)
Getting some of those "controlled" rolling outages now.
Highland w/2 smoke stacks
Camp Chef DLX 24
18" WSM
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:51 am

decherdt wrote:all electric, 34 hour power outage here, with a record 2 below zero outside Looks like my heirloom tomato seedlings froze in the house.
Had to grill burgers on the kettle ;-)
Getting some of those "controlled" rolling outages now.

Dang, I hope y’all keep power
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:21 am

We still have "NOT" lost power but they cut our water off again this morning. Sure can't drip the pipes with no water flowing. :dont: However, we are counting our blessings and praying for those less fortunate. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 am

Without any water, of course, the flush capacitor doesn't work on the thunder mug so when it started pouring down I put out some 5 gal/and other Pots and it didn't take but 15 min to fill a 5 gal. AJWD

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:45 am

40 hours and counting. Went and got the motorhome out of storage to bring home and plug the chest freezer in, and the icebox in the house. Raining pretty hard here right now, hopefully the rain moves out before it drops back below freezing.

We will be ok, but I feel for some of the others.

Couple of photos of the power plant, and the work bench.

D79B4106-B680-4E6C-9A94-5266C94F9D5C.jpeg

0DC6A2F2-9FAA-4A08-B72E-4F8B06A5A0F7.jpeg

8B8F5830-8F69-4AF9-999C-5C55E19BBAB1.jpeg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:08 pm

"Making Do" - - good raising pays off :tup: :wav: :cheers: :salut: :texas:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:21 pm

It hurts to read all the struggles you all go through.
I hope things improve soon.

I don't understand why the utility company has to practice a rolling black out. Is it due to high energy consumption because of the cold weather or are powerlines down due to the snow and therefore transfer capacity is limited?
I ask because we very seldom have a power blackout. It's must be at least 3 years ago.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:16 pm

Got power back after 44 hours. I ran a propane heater in my garage the whole time, my water system is still in tact. Blessed, but I will leave everything in place as I don’t think we are done with this nonsense.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:44 pm

GRailsback wrote:Got power back after 44 hours. I ran a propane heater in my garage the whole time, my water system is still in tact. Blessed, but I will leave everything in place as I don’t think we are done with this nonsense.

Friday afternoon here before it’s clear
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Rambo wrote:
GRailsback wrote:Got power back after 44 hours. I ran a propane heater in my garage the whole time, my water system is still in tact. Blessed, but I will leave everything in place as I don’t think we are done with this nonsense.

Friday afternoon here before it’s clear

Still hovering just above freezing here, with lots of moisture still in the area. Left the heater off and using the fireplace, just running the basics.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:36 pm

Rambo wrote:Friday afternoon here before it’s clear

Pointing the same here also ! Sure wish they'd get the water turned back on. :whiteflag:

I'm not whinning however, it could be a lot worse and we know it. :tup:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Dang y’all. Hang in there.

It’s been really cold and snowy but we’ve been blessed to maintain power and gas.

My in laws had to fire up the generator on their RV as well to run a few things. Good thinking G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”