Took a recommendation for smoked ribs

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Took a recommendation for smoked ribs

Postby Copasspupil » Sat May 08, 2021 9:35 pm

Honestly I bought 1 slab of St. Louis ribs and it was 1/2 way done they said. It had decent smoke flavor but I won’t be buying more from them. Now I question my friends now. How do shops by you compare to what you make? Happy with buying or too disappointed?
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
Bockbock
Cowboy

Re: Took a recommendation for smoked ribs

Postby Bockbock » Sun May 09, 2021 8:29 am

Not sure I am following what you are asking. I make my own stuff because I am always disappointed here in San Antonio, if that is what you are asking.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 09, 2021 8:34 am

:dont: :scratch: :?: :dont: :scratch: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 am

I think I follow the question.
My wife and her office mates went on a BBQ tour of Dallas 2 years ago. She brought home several samplings of different shops. Granted by the time I got to them they were cold. However none were impressive. I’ve tried a couple spots here more local and again not impressed. It surprises me how so many will flock to these eateries that in you opinion are average at best.
Wife explains it as people are too lazy to do their own BBQ or simply don’t have the time, equipment and or the desire to do it themselves.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sun May 09, 2021 12:22 pm

Yes you are correct. My issue whether it is bbq, Italian, Mexican or something else. I’d gladly pay for food if I cannot make it or suck at doing it. However since I was referring to bbq, maybe I need to head down south to try some but the stuff they serve in WA state does not resemble what I’d call good, great or dang that was better than mine for sure.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun May 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Danno I think I can confidently say for all that you’d be welcome to pull yer chair up to mine or any fire here if you get to Texas. Same for Viking Joe and all the rest.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun May 09, 2021 2:55 pm

If I understand your question, you are judging what the bbq joints produce compared to what you produce?
I must admit my wife is most prejudice in the BBQ arena; she says no one compares to what I cook; if I am the judge I will go to Rudys in Round Rock for turkey and brisket, only if I dont cook my own; again in my prejudice opinion.. I constantly compare my cooking to the others they just dont stack up, unless I don't feel like cooking, which seems to happen more frequently the older I get.. :dont:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun May 09, 2021 3:28 pm

Copasspupil wrote:Yes you are correct. My issue whether it is bbq, Italian, Mexican or something else. I’d gladly pay for food if I cannot make it or suck at doing it. However since I was referring to bbq, maybe I need to head down south to try some but the stuff they serve in WA state does not resemble what I’d call good, great or dang that was better than mine for sure.

My sisters-in-law are Italian and the other Mexican as well as my son-in-law. After their cooking most of any eateries pale in comparison. I have found a couple Tex-Mex places I will go to. Sadly the best of the bunch is in a fairly rough side of town so it’s usually lunch if at all.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon May 10, 2021 12:09 pm

Boots wrote:Danno I think I can confidently say for all that you’d be welcome to pull yer chair up to mine or any fire here if you get to Texas. Same for Viking Joe and all the rest.
We're planning on a little Texas road trip in the summer of 2022. Thinking a couple of weeks. Providing traveling is possible without too much hassle.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 10, 2021 1:40 pm

HellYeah.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 10, 2021 11:26 pm

We like the BBQ stuffed potatoes at HEB True Texas BBQ. Their brisket & pulled pork are good, and I don't cook potatoes at home like they serve. Every so often if I want some smoked turkey I'll have that, like if they're out of brisket. Last Christmas I bought their turkey breast dinner because my health wasn't in good shape last year for me to cook a holiday meal for us + my in-laws. Neither my wife or I are very impressed by the sides at HEB True Texas BBQ (or much of any other BBQ joint or restaurant in this are that we've tried). One exception for e is the pinto beans at The Barbecue Station on 410 near Harry Wurzbach - those beans are top notch IMO.

Otherwise BBQ joints & restaurants around here we've tried don't compare favorably to what I cook at home. Especially in my wife's opinion, she's a tougher critic in that regard than I am. I have to say the various pork ribs I've tried at BBQ joints & restaurants in this area have been particularly disappointing vs ones I cook at home. To be fair, I'm cooking particularly for our tastes, and not trying to target a wide cross section of tourists and / or locals day after day

Return to “General Discussion”