A little Norway in South East Texas Compliments of our Friend Norway Joe

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Rorschach
Wrangler

Re: A little Norway in South East Texas Compliments of our Friend Norway Joe

Postby Rorschach » Sun May 16, 2021 8:24 pm

k.a.m. wrote:For me the brown cheese has a mild sweet slight pungent caramel taste. It melds well with the toast and graham crackers. Tomorrow Debbie will whip up some waffles for breakfast. :D I am cooking a brisket and ribs for my neighbor who has been tending my yard. About a month ago I tore my inside meniscus on my right leg. I Finally got my MRI to confirm now waiting on surgery dates.

Sorry to learn of your injury Kevin, best wishes to successful surgery and speedy recovery!
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun May 16, 2021 8:28 pm

Rorschach wrote:
GRailsback wrote:
Rorschach wrote:I'm sure the reason is no direct translation from Norweigan (Snakka du Norsk?)* to English but the host of that Scandinavian Cooking program referred to this sometimes as "chocolate cheese", I'm guessing because of the dark color and sweeter flavor (it "looks" more like caramel than cheese to me FWIW).

https://www.pbs.org/food/shows/new-scan ... n-cooking/

*My wife lived in Stavanger from 1983 to 1987, her father worked in the drilling and production side of what we Texans refer to as "The Oil Patch" and the only Norwegian words I've picked up from her and her parents is "Snakka du Norsk?", as I think that's the only words they picked up from being asked that continuously. The school my wife and other similar "Oil Patch Brats attended, all classes were taught in English.

Your wife know you are calling her a brat? All ex pat schools are taught in English. No mater what location in the world it happens to be in.

Yep, same context as children of members of our Armed Forces referring to themselves as a "Military Brt", been collquialisms for decades now.

Here's a bit of Google-fu for ya

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Inside- ... omes-from/

Yes, the expat school my wife attended in Egypt was also taught in English - the children of the deposed Shah of Iran attended there at the same time but weren't in any of my wife's classes. My wife learned both some French and Arabic there but it's been so many years since then she doesn't really remember much of either of those languages.

When my wife lived in Trinidad that school was also taught in English but UK style English where flashlights are called torches, trucks are called lorries, etc. One of my wife's grandmother's thought my wife had some sort of speech impediment after my wife went to Kindergarten there.

An example of the similar movig around a lot culture, my wife attended 3 different high schools. One in Stavanger, Norwy; one in the New Orleans area; and one in the Houston (Katy) area near where her father was working in the Energy Corridor there.

How many expat school did you attend?

I could be considered a "Petroleum Brat" I suppose but I've never heard that term in common use. My father and three of my uncles worked in that side of the biz, as did I, and my wife. My wife still works in the refining side but as a HQ technical executive supervising groups who specialize in extremely complex computer models of things like how various refinery process units operate, the logistics systems, and economics. Her parents and I are quite proud of her.

My father moved twice in his career in rfining - once from Corpus Christi Texas to Sinclair Wyoming and once from Sinclair Wyoming to Corpus Christi Texas. My sister and I were born in Wyoming so we're not "Native Texans". My wife however was born in Houston, and graduated high school in Houston, but those are the only two years she lived in Houston.

My wife and I have moved 6 times living in three different states (Texas, Ohio, and Louisiana) during our life together but never outside the US.

I didn't attend any expat schools. I went, and still attend the University of Budweiser, while traveling the world as "Oil Field Trash"
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Sun May 16, 2021 8:58 pm

GRailsback wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
GRailsback wrote:
Rorschach wrote:I'm sure the reason is no direct translation from Norweigan (Snakka du Norsk?)* to English but the host of that Scandinavian Cooking program referred to this sometimes as "chocolate cheese", I'm guessing because of the dark color and sweeter flavor (it "looks" more like caramel than cheese to me FWIW).

https://www.pbs.org/food/shows/new-scan ... n-cooking/

*My wife lived in Stavanger from 1983 to 1987, her father worked in the drilling and production side of what we Texans refer to as "The Oil Patch" and the only Norwegian words I've picked up from her and her parents is "Snakka du Norsk?", as I think that's the only words they picked up from being asked that continuously. The school my wife and other similar "Oil Patch Brats attended, all classes were taught in English.

Your wife know you are calling her a brat? All ex pat schools are taught in English. No mater what location in the world it happens to be in.

Yep, same context as children of members of our Armed Forces referring to themselves as a "Military Brt", been collquialisms for decades now.

Here's a bit of Google-fu for ya

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Inside- ... omes-from/

Yes, the expat school my wife attended in Egypt was also taught in English - the children of the deposed Shah of Iran attended there at the same time but weren't in any of my wife's classes. My wife learned both some French and Arabic there but it's been so many years since then she doesn't really remember much of either of those languages.

When my wife lived in Trinidad that school was also taught in English but UK style English where flashlights are called torches, trucks are called lorries, etc. One of my wife's grandmother's thought my wife had some sort of speech impediment after my wife went to Kindergarten there.

An example of the similar movig around a lot culture, my wife attended 3 different high schools. One in Stavanger, Norwy; one in the New Orleans area; and one in the Houston (Katy) area near where her father was working in the Energy Corridor there.

How many expat school did you attend?

I could be considered a "Petroleum Brat" I suppose but I've never heard that term in common use. My father and three of my uncles worked in that side of the biz, as did I, and my wife. My wife still works in the refining side but as a HQ technical executive supervising groups who specialize in extremely complex computer models of things like how various refinery process units operate, the logistics systems, and economics. Her parents and I are quite proud of her.

My father moved twice in his career in rfining - once from Corpus Christi Texas to Sinclair Wyoming and once from Sinclair Wyoming to Corpus Christi Texas. My sister and I were born in Wyoming so we're not "Native Texans". My wife however was born in Houston, and graduated high school in Houston, but those are the only two years she lived in Houston.

My wife and I have moved 6 times living in three different states (Texas, Ohio, and Louisiana) during our life together but never outside the US.

I didn't attend any expat schools. I went, and still attend the University of Budweiser, while traveling the world as "Oil Field Trash"

Well I've never personally used that term, but based on your messages, I guess I should ask you if your spouse and children, if any, know they're married to or sired by someone who describes himself as Trash?

I had a work colleague who's father worked in the drilling & production side of the oilfield, went to 15 different schools while growing up but never lived outside the US. I don't know anyone who referred to him or anyone in his family as Trash.

A way times have changed, my wife walked to & from her parents' house and school in Cairo, including through a marketplace, first through sixth grade. Never a problem.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 18, 2021 8:31 am

Rorschach wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:For me the brown cheese has a mild sweet slight pungent caramel taste. It melds well with the toast and graham crackers. Tomorrow Debbie will whip up some waffles for breakfast. :D I am cooking a brisket and ribs for my neighbor who has been tending my yard. About a month ago I tore my inside meniscus on my right leg. I Finally got my MRI to confirm now waiting on surgery dates.

Sorry to learn of your injury Kevin, best wishes to successful surgery and speedy recovery!

Thank you I appreciate it.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Tue May 18, 2021 11:17 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

I have surgery tomorrow on my left eye, I've had 3 partial retinal detachment events in my left eye over the past 5 weeks. Twice had air injected to pop tissue back into place like putting a tire on a rim, then a second needle stuck in to remove the excess air because this results in a more nasty nauseous sinus headache than any infection causes, then a week later after enough remainig air has diffused out, non-invasive laser surgery to make about 600 individual spot welds for lack of a better term to hold the tissueback in place. So after this third event last weekend it was time to try something different. Tomorrow all the ocular fluid will be drained, replaced with air, and invasive laser surgery is the plan. I'm told it'll take about 30 days for my body to ake enough new ocular fluid to refill my left eye and replace the air, so I'll have no depth perception for the next month.

The good thing is, this has all occurred in my weaker eye, my stronger (right) eye is still working great so far, except for senior short-arm disease.

texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif
texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif (264 Bytes) Viewed 896 times
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed May 19, 2021 12:45 am

Rorschach wishing you better health soon brother.

My Grandfather worked the Yates Field in the ‘20’s, wooden rigs to steel, in all weather, lost friends to gas and accidents. They lived in a tent built on a wooden box frame built from equipment crates until my Dad was six )then moved into defunct funeral home. I asked him as a kid what OFT (oil field trash) meant, having just heard it somewhere. He says something along the lines of “It means whoever uses the word is a moron who never worked steel in a freezing snowstorm or putting out blowout fires or cable jumped off a collapsing rig with pipe shooting out of a hole from a blowout.” Nothing trashy about work that powers the world.

This one is for all the guys on the rigs, platforms and fields who pull the dragons from the ground.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXzZTYjUl0

-Boots
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed May 19, 2021 9:05 am

Rorschach wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

I have surgery tomorrow on my left eye, I've had 3 partial retinal detachment events in my left eye over the past 5 weeks. Twice had air injected to pop tissue back into place like putting a tire on a rim, then a second needle stuck in to remove the excess air because this results in a more nasty nauseous sinus headache than any infection causes, then a week later after enough remainig air has diffused out, non-invasive laser surgery to make about 600 individual spot welds for lack of a better term to hold the tissueback in place. So after this third event last weekend it was time to try something different. Tomorrow all the ocular fluid will be drained, replaced with air, and invasive laser surgery is the plan. I'm told it'll take about 30 days for my body to ake enough new ocular fluid to refill my left eye and replace the air, so I'll have no depth perception for the next month.

The good thing is, this has all occurred in my weaker eye, my stronger (right) eye is still working great so far, except for senior short-arm disease.

texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif

Good luck with your surgery I hope you heal quickly.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 19, 2021 9:54 am

Been there done that, except my left eye is the one that keeps my driver's license current.
Thoughts and Prayers going out for you and Debbie as well.
Pay attention and do what they say and best to you with this procedure :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”