Nice day

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jaspaq USER_AVATAR
jaspaq
Rustler

Nice day

Postby jaspaq » Sat May 29, 2021 6:20 pm

I don't normally like fruity beer but this is pretty good. Enjoying a nice rain free and warm day. With Steve Ray on the radio.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Nice day

Postby bsooner75 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:53 pm

Ruby Redbird is a regular player around here. Especially when I am watching carbs and calories (gotta get back on that). Believe it or not as far as beers go it’s relatively diet friendly.

And you can never go wrong with SRV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat May 29, 2021 6:59 pm

Two Texas classics.
I firmly believe that August 27th should be a State Day of Mourning. Still one of the saddest days of my life. :texas:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 30, 2021 12:22 pm

I agree with the above, except for when I was allowed alcohol it was Shiner Bock and lots of it.

Speaking of Sad Days, I just found out that my old longtime friend B.J.Thomas passed away yesterday from Stage 4 Lung Cancer. :(
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun May 30, 2021 12:45 pm

Few if any were bigger during his heyday. While he was born in Ok. the number of artists in that generation that have a Houston or Dallas connection is amazing.
RIP Mr. Thomas
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 30, 2021 1:44 pm

:tup: Yes Indeed they were :!: :cheers: 8) 8)
Back in 1960 he was just getting started with his Band, The Triumphs, in the Richmond Texas area. I was going to school at Wharton County Jr. College just down the road. Roy Head and The Traits were very popular and played a lot in the area and so did "our" little Band, The Valiants, from Eagle Lake. Any time that we were free and they were playing we would definitely go and I remember one night at a Traits Dance seeing this young Dude with a jacket that said The Triumps standing down in front of the stage. When I asked who it was they told me it was B.J.Thomas and Roy Head always liked to call him up on the stage to do a number when he was there. We later ended up at the Band Table visiting with Roy, B.J. and the MUsicians and got to know them pretty well. Right before "Raindrops" we were at a Package Show in Houston and he came up and asked me if I'll like to audition for a Sax position because they were going on the Road. Well I had to turn it down because of Wife, Son and Good Job. That was the last time I spoke with him but I saw him a couple of times afterwards..
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”