Sam's Club Members Mark Charcoal Briquettes

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Rorschach
Wrangler

Sam's Club Members Mark Charcoal Briquettes

Postby Rorschach » Mon May 31, 2021 5:09 am

Folks,

This may be old news at least for some, if so, then I'll preface this post as being for those previously unaware of this product, and especially for those who may be interested in this product.

I found these Members Mark charcoal briquettes Saturday when shopping at Sam's Club in San Antonio. The main page doesn't load a product image when I pull it up, but a smaller image is available in the "About This Item" section of the product listing. These are twin packs with two 20 lb bags held together with some heavy gauge plastic, you can't purchase single 20 lb bags. At $16.98 for 40 lbs, that's $0.425 / lb of charcoal.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-charcoal- ... _product_5

These are 100% hardwood charcoal briquets with a single central (silly) "Ridge" - and they're the same as Royal Oak Chef's Select briquettes (which I've discovered have become more difficult to find and more expensive - $31.99 / 40lbs = $0.80 / lb) and the Royal Oak All Natural 100% Hardwood briquettes currently available at Walmart in single 16 lb bags at $7.98 = $0.50 / lb.

https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/Roya ... /845226248

I started using Royal Oak briquettes in the 1970's, when they only made 100% hardwood charcoal briquettes and there was no ridge in their briquets. The 100% hardwood vareity still my favorite charcoal briquettes (although I thoroughly enjoyed the Rancher 100% hardwood briquettes that were all too briefly available at Home Depot around 14 years ago). So, I figured I'd pass my Sam's Club find along to any like-minded individuals.

These aren't available at all Sam's Club locations. Our nearest Sam's Club we typically shop doesn't carry these Members Mark charcoal briquettes, but does carry 30 lb bags of Frontier lump charcoal, Made in Mexico, for $19.98 that don't appear whatsoever on the Sam's Club website (Royal Oak purchased Frontier charcoal from PSC in 2015 FWIW). I found the Members Mark charcoal briquettes at the Sam's Club at I-10 and De Zavala shopping center here in sunny San Antonio. So if you're interested you may have to check more than one Sam's Club to locate these Members Mark charcoal briquettes in your area - easiest to do via the internet changing the "My Store" selection vs driving to various different B&M locations.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day today, and takes a few moments to solemnly reflect on this holiday to give thanks to those who lost their lives preserving our freedom.

texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif
texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif (264 Bytes) Viewed 1055 times
Last edited by Rorschach on Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Sam's Club Members Mark Charcoal Briquettes

Postby Rambo » Mon May 31, 2021 6:47 am

Thanks for posting
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:18 am

Our Sam's shows to have it I will give it a try if they do Rorschach.
My Competition team was sponsored by Royal Oak for several years and used the Chefs Select it is an awesome charcoal. I have about 4 bags left out of my last pallet so I am close lol.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:35 pm

Good to know Kevin! I was formerly able to order the Royal Oak Chef's Select briquettes in a 40 lb bag through DoItBest website with free ship-to-store and designate a nearby DoItBest hardware store to pick it up at. That product is no longer available on the DoItBest website, and the price I see from the only company I've found offering it is $32 / 40 lb bag, and some offers around $20 for a 20 lb bag - yikes!

I was glad to find it at WM in 16 lb bags under a slightly different product name & packaging and extra pleased to find it at Sam's Club. I hope it stays available at both those places for a long time.

I've tried the B&B Oak briquettes and the HEB Grand Champion briquettes. I liked both those OK for grilling but I prefer the Royal Oak 100% hardwood briquettes for minion method low & slow smoking. I haven't tried the Jealous Devil Maxxx XL briquettes at Academy due to the price - $15 / 10 lb = $1.50 / lb :shock:

Return to “General Discussion”