Horses Have Personalities…

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Horses Have Personalities…

Postby Boots » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:41 am

…and some more than others. As one of the mammals that has a brain approaching human size, I’ve always known that horses are “thinkers”. And while they may not look like they’re doing it, they think all the time, 100% of the time. The minute you think they don’t, they will prove you wrong. Same with dogs.

But no one on earth knows what goes through the mind of cat.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/horse ... le-indiana
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Horses Have Personalities…

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:31 am

Same goes with their Long Earred Cousins, the Mule and Donkey.
The minute you think that they are just dumb animals, they can "painfully" prove you wrong - - but they can be your best friend if you treat them right.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:33 pm

They can be but are also stupid enough to cut their own hoof or leg off on a piece of wire or metal
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:13 pm

Rambo wrote:They can be but are also stupid enough to cut their own hoof or leg off on a piece of wire or metal

Nearly been there when my Son's Roping Horse got hung in the barbed wire. Vet wanted to put him down but I designed a shoe with a welded on metal brace that came up just below the knee and by tending it his entensor tendon grew back together and he was as sound as ever. My Show Mule got hung in barbed wire and just stood there until I found her and cut the wire free from her legs. :dont:

I may have a pic of that shoe around here some place. :scratch:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:19 pm

Front Open Brace 1.jpg
Front Open Brace 1.jpg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 1516 times

Front Brace 1.jpg

Left Side Brace 1.jpg
Left Side Brace 1.jpg (45.45 KiB) Viewed 1516 times

Figure 4 Side View Shoe-Brace.jpg
Figure 4 Side View Shoe-Brace.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:13 pm

Absolutely brilliant
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Thank You, Sir - - - - that was my first time to "fix" an Extensor Tendon which is what lifts and holds the hoof when it is picked up and moved forward. When we got to him he was standing on the top (hair line) of his hoof so I knew that I had to imobilize it in the right position until it "HOPEFULLY" healed itself which is what the Vet would have tried to do with Surgery but he was doubtful that it would work. Took him to TAMU for a look see after the brace had been on a month and Doctor Taylor and Doctor Poter offered me a job. :laughing7: :lol: :D
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:02 am

That is impressive!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:42 am

Thanks Mam, but I owe all of that to Mr. Elmer Seabold who owned and ran the North Texas Farrier School and insisted that we learn the anatomy/pathalogical of the Equine leg and how to correct various things. The hardest corrective farrier work for me was the Foundered Horse - - - "win some lose some" can be trying at times.

Return to “General Discussion”