Hobart 1712 Slicer

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Hobart 1712 Slicer

Postby rexster314 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:03 pm

I lost my Hobart 1612 slicer in our house fire back in April. Main use for it was our small bacon business which I usually cured, smoked and sliced around 250 lbs of bellies each month. As we’re starting from scratch acquiring the tools we need to start this back up, I was in need of a new to me slicer. I bought a Berkel 818 slicer really cheap in May, but was never able to free up the gauge plate that allows you to set the thickness of your slices. I found a Hobart 1712 slicer in my area. Seller wanted 900 for it. When I went to look at it, it was in a rough condition. Left outside in a covered area, the aluminum case had very bad oxidation and again the gauge plate was frozen. It still had the original sharpening tool attached and the stainless knife had spots of corrosion which indicated to me it hadn’t been cleaned from it’s last use. I got him down to 600 and felt like I got a deal, as these models are going for around 1500 . What was really nice after getting it home, I found out the automatic slicing mechanism was in excellent shape and was working as it should.
Yesterday, I started the cleaning process, and addressing the frozen gauge plate. I knew how to do it from previously doing the same the the used 1612 I bought in 2015. Serious heat from a propane torch and judicious use of a dead blow hammer for about 10 minutes and the deal was done. There are several Youtube videos about this repair. After a good degreasing of the adjustment mechanism and lubrication of the parts, it was all put back together and working as it should.
My wife then did the cleanup on the exterior using 0000 steel wool and soap and water. Link to small video below

https://youtu.be/8k2Xqb2iu7M
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Hobart 1712 Slicer

Postby Rambo » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:18 pm

Good luck, sounds good
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Hobart 1712 Slicer

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:50 pm

Looks like a good Score, Mr. Rex - - - let us know how it does for you :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”