Short history about our King's ships

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Short history about our King's ships

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:48 am

Docked at a city called Horten for the weekend and here is an old little gem docked, too.

A couple of years ago I posted a few pictures about our king going out with his sailboat and his large ship.

The little ship in the first picture shows the barge "Stjernen 1" meaning the Star 1. It was built in 1899 and is the smallest steamship we have. This is the one docked here.

When Norway separated from the union with Sweden in 1905 our new King needed a ship and this was the first ship for personal use for the king. It was in use by the King until WWII when it was used by the Germans. It has since been restored and is now used for small excursions and trips.

In 1935 a new and bigger Stjernen was built for the King. It is still in use by the King and is a regular sight in the fjord. This was also used by the Germans during WWII. Now it is often following the King when he's out with his top of the line regatta sailboat or with his recreational sailboat from 1937. This ship is 60 feet and makes 18 knots. It's in pristine condition

After the WWII the people gave the King a new and large ship in 1947. It's called "Norge" or Norway. It is 80 yards long.It's the King's personal ship and is used for holidays and official trips along our long coast. The ship is manned by the Navy with 15 officers and 30 privates. It is available for the King 24/7 year long. Also in pristine condition.ImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Short history about our King's ships

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:42 am

Very Cool and Interesting, as always, Mr. JOe. If I didn't know better, I'd thought that was a BBQ Smoker at Mid-ship on the first pic. :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:06 am

Fantastic! I love these historical posts. Beautiful ships, too.
Moink!
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:26 am

The ship in the last picture is impressive, but that first one - "Stjernen 1" - is just SO COOL!

Return to “General Discussion”