Red Plum Jelly

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Red Plum Jelly

Postby Rambo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:12 am

We ran out of Jelly and thank goodness I had some juice in the freezer. It turned out well
Attachments
A0E9A0D9-D121-4A2D-9A66-C2573484DE25.jpeg
E858752F-C258-4DE2-B93E-859434B0E3B6.jpeg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Red Plum Jelly

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:55 am

You Betcha - - - that is Prime Texas Biscuit "TOPPING", Pard :tup: :wav: :chef: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:32 am

Fantastic.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:45 am

It’s a dying art Joe. There’s still a few Older folks that Can stuff but nothing compared to 50 years ago. I’ve tried to teach my Kids/ Grandkids, and they just aren’t willing to do the work; too easy to buy at the store
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:27 am

Rambo wrote:It’s a dying art Joe. There’s still a few Older folks that Can stuff but nothing compared to 50 years ago. I’ve tried to teach my Kids/ Grandkids, and they just aren’t willing to do the work; too easy to buy at the store
You're absolutely correct. I remember my mother used to make jelly and juice. She doesn't do it anymore either. Too much work. Convenience trumps most everything.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:24 am

My favorite! My plum tree produced very little this year. Hoping next year it gets back on track!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:27 pm

I don't can now, but we used to. Now we make small batch preserves, and in such small amounts I just refrigerate 'em.

That looks fantastic. :salut:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:46 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:I don't can now, but we used to. Now we make small batch preserves, and in such small amounts I just refrigerate 'em.

I've started doing that with my Salsa unless I decide to Roast it and then I'll can a big batch. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:24 pm

tex_toby wrote:My favorite! My plum tree produced very little this year. Hoping next year it gets back on track!

Plum trees are funny. We’ve had ours for 20 years; 3 years ago I probably gave away 4 or 5, 5 gallon buckets. 2019 got very few and this year with the big freeze nothing even though it budded out and put on a bunch of plum; they all fell off
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:19 am

As a youngster my father was a gatherer and I would usually follow him when he did. He'd go foraging for blackberry's, dewberry's, huckleberry's, wild grapes and wild plums. Somehow he would always remember when to go to find them. Mom would make jams, jellys, and butters from these. He also always had to have a few meals of poke salad(sallet) greens. For those who don't know pokeweed is poisonous and must be parboiled a time or two to cook off the poison. Once cooked this way they are quite similar to more common greens.
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:09 am

1MoreFord wrote:As a youngster my father was a gatherer and I would usually follow him when he did. He'd go foraging for blackberry's, dewberry's, huckleberry's, wild grapes and wild plums. Somehow he would always remember when to go to find them. Mom would make jams, jellys, and butters from these. He also always had to have a few meals of poke salad(sallet) greens. For those who don't know pokeweed is poisonous and must be parboiled a time or two to cook off the poison. Once cooked this way they are quite similar to more common greens.

Great memories. The Logging Industry has destroyed a lot of the native habitat in East Texas; Mayhaw, Muscuidine Wild Grapes, and Wild Plum trees are mostly gone except in a few areas that haven’t been cut. It’s a big part of the economy here
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:10 am

Back when I still had my Place in Liberty County West of Cleveland, Texas, Whiskey Branch ran thru the back of my property and was covered with Muscadine Grape Vines. My Grand Daughter and I picked and made jelly and wine from hundreds of those Grapes for several years. :tup:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:24 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Back when I still had my Place in Liberty County West of Cleveland, Texas, Whiskey Branch ran thru the back of my property and was covered with Muscadine Grape Vines. My Grand Daughter and I picked and made jelly and wine from hundreds of those Grapes for several years. :tup:

They have probably cut those Bottoms and destroyed those Vines
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:08 pm

Rambo wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:Back when I still had my Place in Liberty County West of Cleveland, Texas, Whiskey Branch ran thru the back of my property and was covered with Muscadine Grape Vines. My Grand Daughter and I picked and made jelly and wine from hundreds of those Grapes for several years. :tup:

They have probably cut those Bottoms and destroyed those Vines

10-4 :tup:
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:19 am

Rambo wrote:
1MoreFord wrote:As a youngster my father was a gatherer and I would usually follow him when he did. He'd go foraging for blackberry's, dewberry's, huckleberry's, wild grapes and wild plums. Somehow he would always remember when to go to find them. Mom would make jams, jellys, and butters from these. He also always had to have a few meals of poke salad(sallet) greens. For those who don't know pokeweed is poisonous and must be parboiled a time or two to cook off the poison. Once cooked this way they are quite similar to more common greens.

Great memories. The Logging Industry has destroyed a lot of the native habitat in East Texas; Mayhaw, Muscuidine Wild Grapes, and Wild Plum trees are mostly gone except in a few areas that haven’t been cut. It’s a big part of the economy here

I forgot about the muscadines and mayhaws. Muscadines were readily available near us but we got our mayhaws from Louisiana when we went to visit Mom's family. Mayhaw's didn't grow North of Southern Arkansas and we wouldn't go that far to pick them when we were going to visit the relatives in LA anyway.

I don't know if they have it anymore but a grocery chain in my area Was selling mayhaw jelly not too long ago. :shock: :D

ETA - Looks like they still do sell it!! :D
https://www.edwardscashsaver.com/shop/m ... 4690087319

Another ETA - The timber companies have gated off so much of the area around me so that any of the areas with forageable greens and fruits are only accessible to the hunting club members :angryfire: who are paying exorbitant prices. When I was first a member of an International Paper Company owned land hunting club the yearly membership was $30 a year. When I gave it up the cost was $300 a year. They told all of us to pay up or they would lease to out of state people who would pay even more! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG

Return to “General Discussion”