Prices- Shortages

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Prices- Shortages

Postby Rambo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:59 am

We’ve been buying an extra bag of sugar, beans, flour, etc each time we shop. Not hoarding by any means but just having a little extra on hand. HEB ran Boston Butts and chicken legs and thighs for $.99 and I bought 4 of each. Maybe things will change in November
Attachments
F00D6F67-5363-4F21-AD33-32AFB948DEAB.jpeg
SAMs poultry rack
F2E11038-C211-446E-B6AB-2A7CF3816450.jpeg
Ribeye roast
B8E12AE2-9656-45D3-AE33-2CF1BC362174.jpeg
Brisket SAMs 1-17-22
11CDD7A7-21EC-4EE2-977B-8A8A312509C2.jpeg
Biscuit rack Walmart 1-18-22
OkieGal
Rustler

Re: Prices- Shortages

Postby OkieGal » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:47 am

I think that's a good habit anytime, pandemic or not. My folks taught us to try to be prepared for "emergencies".
That could be a pandemic or supply shortage - or it could just be unexpectedly losing your job. Or having a pop-up major expense.
Or getting snowed in. If you have a cushion, you can get through these things a little easier, until your situation improves.

I don't consider planning for hard times, during good times, to be hoarding. I try to stay well stocked with the items you mentioned,
along with canned goods and full freezers, even paper supplies. :D

It also puts me in a better position to help others who may have hit a rough patch.
I'm sure you know the fable of the ant and the grasshopper. I try to be an ant, and not let the grasshoppers distract me... at least, not TOO much. LOL
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 am

What a wonderful person you are; great thoughts
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:56 am

OkieGal wrote:I think that's a good habit anytime, pandemic or not. My folks taught us to try to be prepared for "emergencies".
That could be a pandemic or supply shortage - or it could just be unexpectedly losing your job. Or having a pop-up major expense.
Or getting snowed in. If you have a cushion, you can get through these things a little easier, until your situation improves.

I don't consider planning for hard times, during good times, to be hoarding. I try to stay well stocked with the items you mentioned,
along with canned goods and full freezers, even paper supplies. :D

It also puts me in a better position to help others who may have hit a rough patch.
I'm sure you know the fable of the ant and the grasshopper. I try to be an ant, and not let the grasshoppers distract me... at least, not TOO much. LOL

Amen to that. :salut:

We live in hurrycane country and even before the two weeks of no power and freezing cold that Sandy brought, I decided not to have to run out when we both had flu and no tissues. We've had extra everything on hand ever since.
Moink!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:02 pm

Good idea to be a little prepared. This is what our government encourages us to have as an emergency food stock per person:

2.5 gallons of water
2 pkg of crispbread
1 pkg of oatmeal
3 cans of canned dinner
3 cans of canned stuff to put on the crispbread
A little dried fruit, nuts, biscuits and chocolate

In addition of course wood, propane to the grill or stove, candlelight, matches batteries, PowerBar for the mobile, emergency charger for the car. Toilet paper and kitchen paper. A few other household items and iodine pills.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:22 pm

We need to concentrate more on stocking items like the above instead of depending on the Kids to take up the slack if necessary.
Think I'll pick up a few of these non perishables next time.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:48 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:We need to concentrate more on stocking items like the above instead of depending on the Kids to take up the slack if necessary.
Think I'll pick up a few of these non perishables next time.

Flour, cornmeal, Crisco, dry peas and beans, and even water. At Walmart you can get distilled water in the Baby Section for $.99
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:15 pm

Dollar General also has a 24 pack of bottled water for $3 which I scarfed up on yesterday :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:55 pm

My heat and air guy told me a few years ago that each week when his wife does the shopping, she picks up an extra case of bottled water and they
stockpile it until they reach a certain amount.
As you know, any time there is a disaster - tornado, wildfire, bombing, etc - there is an immediate request for donations of water and other necessities. So he and his wife load up their stockpile and take it the donation area. And then she starts all over, buying extra water each week.

I thought that was pretty cool. They are prepared if they have a personal need, but also ready to help others at a moment's notice.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:04 pm

Always nice to hear of good deeds from People and Folks helping others that are less fortunate. :bow:

When Hurricane Harvey came thru, my Buddy down the street took his trailer to Navasota to Chuck Norris' Bottled Water Company. Chuck's wife met them and had her employees load all that the trailer would hold. She then told them to come back if they needed to. :salut: :texas:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:33 am

^^^ Awesome.
Moink!
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 am

Don't underestimate the amount of water you might need in an emergency. Last February's storm caused the city's water to shut down and while we were able to fill coolers and containers we still were rationing to a degree. Even our bottled water didn't go far for the dogs (2 border collies) as you'd go thru a couple bottles a day just for the fur-babies.

We try to stay ahead of the pasta/rice thing too. Great shelf life and darn good tastin'. :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:08 pm

Pasa/rice tastes great but it takes a lot of water to boil. Especially pasta. That can be a problem if water is scarce.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1

Return to “General Discussion”