Relocating Bluebird Box

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Relocating Bluebird Box

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 23, 2022 12:44 pm

I moved the Bluebird Box to the Front Yard about a month ago and now I'm glad I did.
IMG_0004.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Relocating Bluebird Box

Postby Rambo » Mon May 23, 2022 1:28 pm

That is so cool
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 23, 2022 2:04 pm

Back when I had a Farm/Ranch/Large place I kept a bluebird Trail going with about a 1/2 dozen boxes. I also made sure that all my Kiddos had one on their place that was productive as well. You see a lot of Bluebird Trail Boxes out in the Hill Country around Johnson City and surrounding areas. That's how I got interested in them.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 23, 2022 2:11 pm

Very cool! :tup:
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon May 23, 2022 3:20 pm

Interesting Em
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon May 23, 2022 4:19 pm

I wish I knew where to relocate mine to get some activity.
The Carolina wrens and wasps have used it. The wrens didn't nest there they just did one of their decoy sites.
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 23, 2022 5:16 pm

Papa Tom, when I first built and set this one up it was in the side yard with several trees close by that had low limbs. They made a nest immediately and raised 3 babies but they never rebuilt. One thing about the Bluebird boxes is that the Hole can only be a limited diameter. That will deter a lot of other birds. As far as wasps go, I just fight them when they start building.
Good Luck :tup:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 23, 2022 5:30 pm

I also make mine from a precut wooden fence board and they are usually treated or wood that weathers well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prwNs7kTgsc
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 24, 2022 6:44 am

We have two that I built years ago. They are mounted on top of Debbie's shepherd poles with the other feeders. Usually just one home is occupied but this year they both are. It is fun to watch them buzz in and out that hole lol.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 24, 2022 7:31 am

It's so enjoyable watching them feed after they've hatched and then when they fledge.
The Male does most of the work while the Female sits or occupies.
They can make a Cat change their mind and "relocate" pretty quick :whiteflag: :banghead:
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Tue May 24, 2022 3:32 pm

When wasps build nests they leave pheromones that they are attracted to for building future nests. To discourage them you need to mask their pheromones. Removing the nest and spraying the area down with WD-40 will do the trick but I don't know what that would do to the desirability of the nest for Bluebirds. Maybe a bleach solution? :dont:
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue May 24, 2022 3:36 pm

My box is built to specs and is located in the open but close enough to trees and cover.
I do have a LOT of cardinals and that may somehow deter the bluebirds although I do see them in the early spring eating Chinese privet berries near where the box is.
I do really love the Carolina wrens they are a hoot. He has to build the nest she will inspect and he may have to modify. If she rejects it he starts over in earnest. If she accepts she will decorate usually with some cellophane or something pretty she's found. They usually nest close to us within 10 feet of a door I think it is a security thing.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue May 24, 2022 3:38 pm

Maybe I should take the bluebird box for a good cleaning I don't want to use any chemicals.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 24, 2022 4:30 pm

Sounds right to me :tup:
Wrens and Martens were my Grandfather's favorite bird. :tup:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 27, 2022 6:32 pm

Checked the Box today and she's laid another egg so that makes 5 now.
I'll check it again next week and hopefully she'll be incubating (sitting) them by then.

Return to “General Discussion”