BBQ Pics

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

BBQ Pics

Postby GRailsback » Tue May 31, 2022 8:07 pm

The pictures of KAM and Rambo’s briskets were torture. As most of you know that I work offshore, this was the bbq they had today. I had the pulled pork sammich on the left of the bbq if you can see them. Wish I had Rambo and KAM brisket though.

Not sure how much longer I will be doing this for a living. But I can promise you I won’t miss having to be out here for all the holidays, and birthdays and weddings and funerals I have missed over the years.

88538602-51EC-423A-873E-CC5A0FE779B7.jpeg

97DD1C03-BEF5-4DF6-8557-9EF47C87522D.jpeg
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: BBQ Pics

Postby Rambo » Tue May 31, 2022 10:11 pm

It looks pretty good. From what I’ve seen and heard on the board your career has brought you and your family a fruitful life. I’m sure it’s tough missing holidays with family and being out there when a loved one passes. You’ll know when it’s time to hang’em up
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:11 am

Rambo wrote:It looks pretty good. From what I’ve seen and heard on the board your career has brought you and your family a fruitful life. I’m sure it’s tough missing holidays with family and being out there when a loved one passes. You’ll know when it’s time to hang’em up

It has been pretty good to us. Tough days at holiday time out here. And special occasions at home. I am within 3 years for sure and maybe sooner. In fact the wife has a call in the morning with our financial guy. It will give a a clearer picture on what the time frame may be. I am fortunate to have a partner in my wife who is quite sound with financial decisions. I just come out here and do what I do to make sure things are taken care of at home. It has changed a lot out here over the years, as I am sure it has in most professions.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:16 am

The Oil Patch is more productive and successful because of Y'all that have "bitten the bullet" all of these years, my Friend. :tup:
Good Luck with Future outcomes :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:57 am

I feel your pain brother.
Years ago as my Children were growing up I was in the heavy haul division for E.L. Farmer trucking. Seemed like every holiday I was sitting on a location either running a crane or hauling an oversized load.
Your spread looks like a pretty good meal for offshore. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:25 pm

KAM & Grails I understand from the other side of the table. My son graduated in 2003 was in the Navy by August. Did his 4 active and re-upped for a 5th. Saw him Christmas of ‘08. Shorty after he was in the oil fields. Hasn’t made a family gathering since. I understand and am truly grateful he and his family are financially stable. On the other hand my selfishness wishes I had much more time with him. Losing my dad in ‘20 has only made me realize how little time there really is. At the end of the day l’m extremely proud of all he’s been able to accomplish and provide for my DIL and grandchildren. The Lord has a plan and will lead the way if we let Him.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:58 pm

Amen and may the Lord Bless and Keep them. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:06 pm

GTR wrote:KAM & Grails I understand from the other side of the table. My son graduated in 2003 was in the Navy by August. Did his 4 active and re-upped for a 5th. Saw him Christmas of ‘08. Shorty after he was in the oil fields. Hasn’t made a family gathering since. I understand and am truly grateful he and his family are financially stable. On the other hand my selfishness wishes I had much more time with him. Losing my dad in ‘20 has only made me realize how little time there really is. At the end of the day l’m extremely proud of all he’s been able to accomplish and provide for my DIL and grandchildren. The Lord has a plan and will lead the way if we let Him.

I guess at this stage for me hindsight looking back I wonder sometimes was it really worth. But that view also comes through a lens of financial security. At the time I was chasing financial security and it was just what we did to achieve it. But looking back, not sure I would do it again. Not only the time I missed with my son and family, but my parents as well. It all came with a large cost. When my dads health started to deteriorate I wasn’t around much to be able to help him. Him and I were close and it is one that troubles me to this day.

But also it hasn’t been all gloom and doom either. I have had some greats times in this business, and got to travel the world some doing it.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:52 pm

Greg I bet your Dad knew and appreciated the sacrifices you made; you were building the next generation of his family. I sincerely believe this, that farmers, ranchers,oil patch workers, truck drivers, butchers, bakers, crane operators, heavy equipment operators, etc., and all the specialized blue collar professionals, serve their country and not just their families. In particular, the US would not have won the wars and built our world leading economy but for tough men pulling the dragons from the ground. The uniform may be Halliburton reds instead of Army greens for example, but the job is still as important. My family had roustabouts and Cold Warriors both, and they won wars and built this country together - one was as indispensable as the other. And last thing, the sacrifices made on this side of the Great Beyond get paid back with interest on the other side, I firmly believe that. I am getting close to hanging up my cleats in a few years too, and more and more focused on what all those late nights and long days actually meant. In the end, I am thinking all I might actually find is I just earned my pay - the race well run. I hope so. That will probably be enough - it will have to be. No do-overs.

Be well - Boots
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:09 am

Boots wrote:Greg I bet your Dad knew and appreciated the sacrifices you made; you were building the next generation of his family. I sincerely believe this, that farmers, ranchers,oil patch workers, truck drivers, butchers, bakers, crane operators, heavy equipment operators, etc., and all the specialized blue collar professionals, serve their country and not just their families. In particular, the US would not have won the wars and built our world leading economy but for tough men pulling the dragons from the ground. The uniform may be Halliburton reds instead of Army greens for example, but the job is still as important. My family had roustabouts and Cold Warriors both, and they won wars and built this country together - one was as indispensable as the other. And last thing, the sacrifices made on this side of the Great Beyond get paid back with interest on the other side, I firmly believe that. I am getting close to hanging up my cleats in a few years too, and more and more focused on what all those late nights and long days actually meant. In the end, I am thinking all I might actually find is I just earned my pay - the race well run. I hope so. That will probably be enough - it will have to be. No do-overs.

Be well - Boots

Well said Boots, as always.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:47 am

I have posted lots of photos of the galley’s on these rigs out here. Boots mentioned Haliburton red coveralls. Here are a few of the laundry room out here. Our coveralls get hung up in a room off to the side. Our regular clothes and towels and such we drop outside our cabin door in a bag. They pick them up and deliver back before you get up to go back to work.

AD763090-F93B-4756-B7D2-2622534BADFE.jpeg

7B023F00-A47F-4FED-9E37-C57FC9C667E9.jpeg

7EF24689-9235-4CB5-B8AF-17DF8022DBBA.jpeg
I wear the orange variety
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:00 am

I am fascinated by these offshore rigs, and recently saw a few videos detailing everyday life on one….GR, I am not a family member and none of my people worked a job like yours, but I appreciate what you've done, and the photos you shared here.
Moink!
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:10 pm

Good Luck with your retirement planning, GR. It's usually not an easy decision.

And thank you for all of your hard work and sacrifices out there.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:15 pm

I second their emotions, Podnah :tup: :cheers: :salut: :texas:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:14 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:I am fascinated by these offshore rigs, and recently saw a few videos detailing everyday life on one….GR, I am not a family member and none of my people worked a job like yours, but I appreciate what you've done, and the photos you shared here.

Miss Sailor, you are family to me. You always have a kind word for everyone.

Return to “General Discussion”