selling BBQ roadside?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dadymat
Rustler

selling BBQ roadside?

Postby dadymat » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:04 am

I see guys just in parking lots of places like Lowes and convenient stores with their pick ups and trailer cookers selling Q......anyone know what is required to do so?..Im in an area of Ft Worth that I think would be a good short term money maker, what do I need to do to sell my own ?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: selling BBQ roadside?

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:09 am

Nice to see you back posting. I’m sure someone will have some knowledge pertaining to your question. I would assume some sort of permit and a Food Handler Course
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:50 am

YEah, I'd check with the City Health Department or maybe stop and ask one of those BBQ Trailer Operators :?: :?: :?: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:53 am

THIS should get you Started - - - GOOD LUCK :tup: :salut: :texas:

https://www.fortworthtexas.gov/departme ... 20required.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:54 am

You need to check with your county of residence or whatever county you are going to be operating out of. I believe they inspect your equipment and issue the permit. I am pretty sure down here, (Harris County), you need running hot water and a holding tank. But I don’t know all the details.
dadymat
Rustler

Postby dadymat » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:02 pm

Thanks all for the replies....those regulations are pretty much what i imagined they would be, I guess some of these guys im seeing are not exactly doing it legal....lol, what ive been seeing is just a guy , his truck, a trailer smoker, and a sign that only says BBQ sitting in parking lots of shopping centers....no kitchen of any kind ...I guess possible they have water tanks in their truck beds, but they look like they just pulled up and put up a sign and started selling...imm gonna try and find one this week and talk to them
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Sounds like a plan - - - - let us know how things work out and post it in case someone else may have your same questions later on. :tup: :salut: :texas:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:04 pm

The Good Old Days are gone; too many rules
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:10 pm

The best BBQ I ever ate was from a little Black Man on the street going to Scheindler’s Steel Mill in Sealy. A little Ol’ wood shack open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. He made a sauce with Lemon and Butter; he’d be closed down now.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:19 pm

Best for me was in Giddings at the City Meat Mkt. Don't know if they are still there or not. Brings back the days on the way out to the Hill Country Deer Leases. :cheers: :texas:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:39 pm

Looks like they are https://www.facebook.com/GiddingsCityMe ... e_internal

Sorry about the hi-jack, dadymat :whiteflag:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:34 pm

It’s still there Parts. Spent the night in Giddings last night.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:41 pm

:tup:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:04 am

Food prep area will be another thing to consider. If your trailer does not pass as a Kitchen Commissary you will most likely need to show where you are prepping and your home kitchen will not cut it. There is a local BBQ stand here in Beaumont that has to buy there proteins the day of and inspected. The city is hard on food trucks here.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “General Discussion”