Getting Electric Generator for the Home

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Getting Electric Generator for the Home

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:13 pm

"NO" to all the above but those are some of the things I'm still thinking of and about.

thanks
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:44 pm

Here is the Company that gave me the Bid. https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/

I'm not positive but I ?think? that the Rep said they were backed up until October but I'll have to ask again. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:25 pm

GRailsback wrote:Hang in there. Did you put yours on a annual maintenance plan?

This kinda goes without saying but this is absolutely a must have. Nothing like needing it and not having it. Just my opinion but I got a service contract. The generator is a great addition but needing it and not having it working is just not an option. Hope I don’t sound preachy but it is a big investment and one that when needed is, well, needed.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:38 pm

Thanks for ALL the INFO - - - - looks like my Post is working don't it :tup: :wav:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:23 pm

GTR wrote:
GRailsback wrote:Hang in there. Did you put yours on a annual maintenance plan?

This kinda goes without saying but this is absolutely a must have. Nothing like needing it and not having it. Just my opinion but I got a service contract. The generator is a great addition but needing it and not having it working is just not an option. Hope I don’t sound preachy but it is a big investment and one that when needed is, well, needed.

Oh yes, absolutely agree. Why would you invest in something like that then not take care of it. The only quote I have got so far on the maintenance plan was for 400.00 a year. 2 visits plus an oilchange I think is what he said. Not sure if i am going to do that wifi monitoring or not.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:01 am

GRailsback wrote:Parts, I am in the middle of the same process. When I get back from our trip in late october I am going to have mine installed. The big dealers are all backed up about 6 momths. But I have access to 22kw generacs, which is what I am going to put in. I don't have much of a utility run as it is going in close to where everything is already located. I believe I am going to go with a company called Jolt Electric for the install. I am going to provide the generator, transfer switch, and the concrete pad. They are going to level the pad and do the electrical and plumbing install. I have already contacted another company about putting it on a servive plan. ANd setting up the weekly maintenance run. Once the generator is installed, centerpoint will come out and install a bigger gas meter.

I ran into the same problem with mine Greg. I have a 20 KW and had to up my pressure. Before CenterPoint would do that I had to pay the 300.00 service then have my plumbing in the ground. All CenterPoint wanted was the green light from the permit office that my risers were properly grounded. I had to have the grounds inspected as well as my ditch lines. When the city signed off on those they sent the green light to CenterPoint. It was a process and I did all the work myself.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:18 am

k.a.m. wrote:
GRailsback wrote:Parts, I am in the middle of the same process. When I get back from our trip in late october I am going to have mine installed. The big dealers are all backed up about 6 momths. But I have access to 22kw generacs, which is what I am going to put in. I don't have much of a utility run as it is going in close to where everything is already located. I believe I am going to go with a company called Jolt Electric for the install. I am going to provide the generator, transfer switch, and the concrete pad. They are going to level the pad and do the electrical and plumbing install. I have already contacted another company about putting it on a servive plan. ANd setting up the weekly maintenance run. Once the generator is installed, centerpoint will come out and install a bigger gas meter.

I ran into the same problem with mine Greg. I have a 20 KW and had to up my pressure. Before CenterPoint would do that I had to pay the 300.00 service then have my plumbing in the ground. All CenterPoint wanted was the green light from the permit office that my risers were properly grounded. I had to have the grounds inspected as well as my ditch lines. When the city signed off on those they sent the green light to CenterPoint. It was a process and I did all the work myself.

Kevin this electrical company I have been dealing with on the install told me that they hook up the generator to the old meter. Centerpoint then comes out and does the upgrade and ties it back in to the new meter. I found that odd as there is no way to properly test the generator after the initial install. But they were right, centerpoint says you have to have the generator installed before they will do the upgrade. So I am going to have the company that will have the service contract do all of the testing that needs to be done. They will also set up the weekly maintenance run cycle as well, and make sure it is good to go.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:43 am

GRailsback wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

Kevin this electrical company I have been dealing with on the install told me that they hook up the generator to the old meter. Centerpoint then comes out and does the upgrade and ties it back in to the new meter. I found that odd as there is no way to properly test the generator after the initial install. But they were right, centerpoint says you have to have the generator installed before they will do the upgrade. So I am going to have the company that will have the service contract do all of the testing that needs to be done. They will also set up the weekly maintenance run cycle as well, and make sure it is good to go.

Typical stuff. No consistency in what they require.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “General Discussion”