Getting Electric Generator for the Home

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Getting Electric Generator for the Home

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:07 am

I've been wanting to get a Generator installed on the Home here for quite a while now and it's about time I "Git'er Done".

I'm considering GENERAC if their orders aren't backed up too long but I would be satisfied with anything that worked well.

I also don't know how I want to power the Generator - - - ?gasoline? ?propane? ?ETC?

Does anyone out there have any experience or suggestions that might help me decide????

Thanks and have a Great Labor Day Weekend :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Getting Electric Generator for the Home

Postby GTR » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:31 am

Got my Generac this summer. Mine is propane and if possible for you to have a tank that’s my recommendation unless you already have NG. Gas will go stale and reek havoc. Propane/NG IMO is the only way to go. Size/output is everything.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:25 am

Parts, I am in the middle of the same process. When I get back from our trip in late october I am going to have mine installed. The big dealers are all backed up about 6 momths. But I have access to 22kw generacs, which is what I am going to put in. I don't have much of a utility run as it is going in close to where everything is already located. I believe I am going to go with a company called Jolt Electric for the install. I am going to provide the generator, transfer switch, and the concrete pad. They are going to level the pad and do the electrical and plumbing install. I have already contacted another company about putting it on a servive plan. ANd setting up the weekly maintenance run. Once the generator is installed, centerpoint will come out and install a bigger gas meter.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:42 am

Thanks, Gents, what size Propane tank do Y'all recommend??
Is 18kW a decent size Generac for running AC, Freezer/Frig, TV and Lights??
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:47 am

An 18kw should be fine for you. I could probably get by with and 18 myself, but I only have access to the 22kw, and it will be plenty and run everything in my house for sure. If you already have NG coming into your house, that is all you need. You don't have to worry about the gas. The generator is going to run every week.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:04 am

No need going overboard with the tank. A 250 gallon is plenty. I have a 24kw unit, a 250 tank. Burn rate is just under 4 gallons an hour. That said you’d have all but 3 days of continuous run time.
As Grails said it will do test runs periodically. Mine goes off about every 14 days. Just a test run lasting roughly 10 minutes. 5 minute full run and 5 minute cool down.
Last edited by GTR on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:07 am

GTR wrote:No need going overboard with the tank. A 250 gallon is plenty. I have a 24kw unit, a 250 tank. Burn rate is just under 4 gallons an hour. That said you’d have all but 3 days of continuous run time.

Do you not have NG at your place?
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:09 am

GRailsback wrote:
GTR wrote:No need going overboard with the tank. A 250 gallon is plenty. I have a 24kw unit, a 250 tank. Burn rate is just under 4 gallons an hour. That said you’d have all but 3 days of continuous run time.

No house is full electric. I already had the propane tank to run the pool/spa heater.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:40 am

GTR wrote:
GRailsback wrote:

No house is full electric. I already had the propane tank to run the pool/spa heater.

Gotcha, oddly enough Centerpoint, the gas company here in town, makes you install the generator before they will come and upgrade your gas meter. The big generator installers here in town are backed up 6 months installing these things. They have the generators, but its hard to buy one on the open market right now. I just got lucky and met a guy at the Salt Grass Steak house in Galveston a few months ago that runs the Waukesha Pearce dealership in Houston. He has a truckload of 22kw's, Generac's.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:03 pm

GRailsback wrote:
GTR wrote:
GRailsback wrote:

Gotcha, oddly enough Centerpoint, the gas company here in town, makes you install the generator before they will come and upgrade your gas meter. The big generator installers here in town are backed up 6 months installing these things. They have the generators, but its hard to buy one on the open market right now. I just got lucky and met a guy at the Salt Grass Steak house in Galveston a few months ago that runs the Waukesha Pearce dealership in Houston. He has a truckload of 22kw's, Generac's.

I ended up with the 24w using their calculator. We have way too many fridges and what not. Was also trying to cover the pool. However the pump and all will be drained if warranted.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:41 pm

My first real use on the generator. Power just went out and ol Bessy kicked on! Life is good!
Ray Wylie Hubbard
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:36 pm

Well let’s have us a monsoon in Heath Texas. Pop up thunder storm, flat line winds, blinding rain, hail and ol Bessy’s doing her thing. Of course will need to put in a call to the propane folks.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:07 pm

I got a bid on a 24kW with Installation included for around $12,548 - - - now I have got to make up my mind and get the Propane Tank ordered also. :tup: :whiteflag:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:08 pm

Hang in there. Did you put yours on a annual maintenance plan?
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:10 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I got a bid on a 24kW with Installation included for around $12,548 - - - now I have got to make up my mind and get the Propane Tank ordered also. :tup: :whiteflag:

Parts, You don't have NG into your house already?

Who did you get the quote from? And how backed up are they?

Return to “General Discussion”