Bama @ UT

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

GTR
Bandolero

Bama @ UT

Postby GTR » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:38 pm

Congratulations to the Horns. Crazy good game and certainly an eye opening performance by Texas. Nothing to hang their heads about. Y’all took the Tide to the last second.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Re: Bama @ UT

Postby Trooz » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:43 pm

Last seconds count. Don't ask me how I know this.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:57 pm

Trooz wrote:Last seconds count. Don't ask me how I know this.

Not at all the way I thought it was going to go. But hey, for not having a dog in the fight it was a very entertaining game.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:00 pm

Me, neither.

We beat Louisiana-Monroe 10-7 in 1992. Won the national championship that year.

College football players are good. All of them.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:50 pm

Heart breaking game to endure at the finish. UT came to play and that is all you can ask.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:19 pm

GRailsback wrote:Heart breaking game to endure at the finish. UT came to play and that is all you can ask.

I think this is what they call a moral victory. Couldn’t ask for a better showing. Certainly gives the staff and players something to build on. Also makes that move to the SEC take on a new complexion. Good luck to them, well except that one weekend in October. :laughing7:
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:22 am

GTR, I’m not sure about all of that. I know I personally have never taken any moral victories in losing.

My dad used to always tell me as a young kid and a young man, he would say, “Greg, if you think you can, you will. And if you think you can’t you won’t”

I think today UT came out of the locker room thinking they can today.

And the Alabama fans probably think it shouldn’t have been that close.

A pretty good display of college football today regardless.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:55 am

This reminds me of a line from the "Late Great, Tom T. Hall's Song" - - - "I LOVE" :tup:

I love winners when they cry, losers when they try
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:19 pm

The game was awesome! I was there rocking out my Jayhawk gear since I am a Kansas boy! I was pulling for the Horns. The atmosphere was incredible and it was super hot. I still think Bama got lucky because they did not call the safety! Just my opinion. BTW the Jayhawks are 2-0 and are getting more competitive. There is something brewing in Lawrence! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Bockbock
Dillo Q
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:37 pm

Bockbock wrote:The game was awesome! I was there rocking out my Jayhawk gear since I am a Kansas boy! I was pulling for the Horns. The atmosphere was incredible and it was super hot. I still think Bama got lucky because they did not call the safety! Just my opinion. BTW the Jayhawks are 2-0 and are getting more competitive. There is something brewing in Lawrence! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I'll bet it was a fun atmospehere. And yes, I wouldn't have wanted to play football as hot as it was yesterday.
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:40 pm

Bockbock wrote:The game was awesome! I was there rocking out my Jayhawk gear since I am a Kansas boy! I was pulling for the Horns. The atmosphere was incredible and it was super hot. I still think Bama got lucky because they did not call the safety! Just my opinion. BTW the Jayhawks are 2-0 and are getting more competitive. There is something brewing in Lawrence! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I don't have any idea why that wasn't called a safety, either. I thought it clearly was, and it was a blown call Alabama benefitted from.

On the other hand, I thought the personal foul for the hit on Ewers was a bad call. I hope the kid is okay and bounces back to play this Saturday. I just don't know what we're asking a defender to do in that situation anymore. I think I understand targeting most of the time, and I think it should be called, and called every time. What I have a hard time understanding the gray area between a hard hit and targeting. If we're inventing something else there to arbitrarily call, I think that's bad for the game.

Texas played well yesterday, just as I expected. I thought all the pregame blowout talk was nonsense. First of all, it's Texas. Alabama would have to win the next five games in a row against Texas just to even the series record, so there's that. Factor in a Texas head coach who knows the program and the schemes, a hostile road crowd at 11 am in 90+ degree weather, and I knew Alabama would be lucky to win. They were.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:40 am

Very good game. My what if is the missed field goal at the end of the first half from the 10 yard line.........
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:37 pm

bobcat1 wrote:Very good game. My what if is the missed field goal at the end of the first half from the 10 yard line.........

I haven’t heard this confirmed, but I think someone got a hand on it.

Most accounts of the game I’ve read included Alabama players commenting on the crowd and how electric the atmosphere was. Sarkisian credits Saban for rejuvenating his career, but I believe Sark is the best offensive coordinator and most brilliant play-caller Saban has ever had at Alabama. I give him much of the credit for our natty in 2020. He’s a brilliant man, he’s recruiting lights-out, and he will have that program competing for championships sooner rather than later. I like where Texas is, and honestly the phase they’re in currently is the most enjoyable as a fan. I would be less than honest if I didn’t admit that I enjoy where Alabama is too, but something undesirable things happens to a fan base in the middle or towards the end of a dynasty. They become entitled and less enthusiastic about what is happening, and I’m as guilty as anyone. Saban complains about it all the time.

Return to “General Discussion”