Annual Trip

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Re: Annual Trip

Postby Trooz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:15 pm

GRailsback wrote:
Trooz wrote:https://www.alapark.com/parks/joe-wheeler-state-park

I booked the spot in Sheffield earlier today. If I had more time I would stay there, as my wife is a runner and likes a place with trails and whatnot.

We don't have any set time to be in Talladega so we may try and see a thing or 2 before we leave town on that Thursday. Maybe if you were to share your shirt size I may come bearing gifts, that is if you can explain that safety that wasn't called and why they flew in a ref crew from Birmingham into Austin? :laughing7: :laughing7:

To be fair, I am firmly on record as not having a clue why a safety wasn't called. It was a Big XII crew, wasn't it?
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:20 pm

Give me a day or so on the 278 question. I'm just not sure. I know a lot of the roads in that part of the state are 4-lane, but don't have a median. I'm 90% confident saying you'll be fine, but let me verify.

If you and the wife have time for it, a trip up to Tennessee to the Texas BBQ joint I referenced in an earlier post would be a great idea. It's about an hour and a half drive, but the last part of the trip is through Tennessee Amish country, and it's beautiful. We'll figure it out.

I'm definitely an XL
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:58 pm

Trooz wrote:
GRailsback wrote:
Trooz wrote:https://www.alapark.com/parks/joe-wheeler-state-park

I booked the spot in Sheffield earlier today. If I had more time I would stay there, as my wife is a runner and likes a place with trails and whatnot.

We don't have any set time to be in Talladega so we may try and see a thing or 2 before we leave town on that Thursday. Maybe if you were to share your shirt size I may come bearing gifts, that is if you can explain that safety that wasn't called and why they flew in a ref crew from Birmingham into Austin? :laughing7: :laughing7:

To be fair, I am firmly on record as not having a clue why a safety wasn't called. It was a Big XII crew, wasn't it?

I was yankin yer chain on the refs. I have no clue who they were.

We will only be in town for a little over 24 hours, so most likely keep the activites close to the area. But your right, we'll figure something out.

I'll see if I have a Burnt Orange XL, I'm sure I do. But I have other colors as well, light blue, dark blue, yellow, burnt orange?
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:17 pm

Gotta be burnt orange.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 am

"HOOK'EM" :wav: :wav: :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:21 am

GRailsback wrote:Trooz, is that 278 that runs from Cullmen to Gadsden good road? For a motorhome that is?

I talked to a guy from the Alabama DOT this morning about 278 from Cullman to Gadsden. He told me that he doesn't know of any reason why an RV wouldn't be just fine on that route. He did say that it drops to a 2-lane in places, but people travel the route in RVs all the time. He told me the ALDOT has an app called "ALGO" that provides up-to-date information on accidents and construction in Alabama. I believe he said you can plan a route on the app, and it will tell you where all the construction sites are.
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:23 am

OldUsedParts wrote:"HOOK'EM" :wav: :wav: :wav:

Are there no Aggies on this board?
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:32 am

Yes, and some good ones. Our resident wordsmith, “Boots”is an Aggie.
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:03 pm

I'll try to let this be my final input on the subject, but I just talked to the guy I really wanted to ask about 278 from the beginning. He drives an 18-wheeler for the company I work for, and he said he drives it all the time in his rig. He did say "it's hilly and it's curvy". He also corrected me telling you that it's 2-lane some of the way. He said it's 2-lane "most of the way". He said it bothers some people, but it has never bothered him.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:01 pm

Trooz wrote:I'll try to let this be my final input on the subject, but I just talked to the guy I really wanted to ask about 278 from the beginning. He drives an 18-wheeler for the company I work for, and he said he drives it all the time in his rig. He did say "it's hilly and it's curvy". He also corrected me telling you that it's 2-lane some of the way. He said it's 2-lane "most of the way". He said it bothers some people, but it has never bothered him.

Thank you, i will take the 2 lane over Birmingham in the afternoon anyday.

I will reach out to you next Tuesday afternoon. Once I know I am clear of the motorhome shop, that is the real driver of the schedule.

Dark blue, out of burnt orange in XL.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Ground zero, she is loaded up, car is hooked up, and tomorrow morning we ride.

BDAEDBE5-C0E1-46DD-A6C5-041BEA08AA0B.jpeg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:24 pm

Y'all have a Safe Trip and Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:36 pm

Thanks Parts, I’ll post plenty of photo’s I hope. Life’s short, gotta run while ya can. I am going to stop in Navasota in the morning and stir up the grandkids before we leave for the month.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:06 pm

Y"all gonna get over on I-35 ???
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:58 pm

Parts I run 290 to 6 on up to Waco. Catch 35 there. Take 35 West at the spit at Hillsboro. Then run on up to the race track, it’s actually probably closer to Denton than it is Ft. Worth.

Return to “General Discussion”