Annual Trip

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Annual Trip

Postby GRailsback » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:55 pm

Well, its that time of year again. We are mostly loaded up and will be leaving Thursday morning on our annual trip again this year. 30 days, and somewhere over 4k miles, starting out in Ft. Worth for the races. Then off to Arkansas to get a little repair done to the motorhome, at a place that specializes in what I am looking to have done. A night in Memphis, then hoping to get down to Muscle Shoals Al. for a day. From there it's off to Talladega Al for the race weekend there. From Talladega we will head to Bloomington Indiana, I have an uncle there, my dads youngest brother, and the only living sibling. We will cross the midwest visitng old family and friends, and be in Colorado somewhere around the 10th-11th of Oct. After Colorado it will be down through New Mexico to visit some folks there then make my way back to Gods Country.

The freezer is full of beef, brats, chicken, diablo's and numerous other things. The side compartments are full of beer.

I will post some photo's as we go.

Trooz, if you see this, if I am able to pull off Muscle Shoals, you reccomend touring both the Muscle Shoals studio and the FAME studio?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Annual Trip

Postby Rambo » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:34 am

Enjoy; Travel Safely with Firearms
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:16 am

Yes, definitely.

My cell number is (256) 777-6267. I know how it is on a trip. Things unfold in haphazard ways but call if you find yourself with some available time and maybe we can meet up to eat or just say hello.

You don't want to go to this place really hungry, but it's been a Florence institution since the beginning of last century. It will be a great place to have lunch.

[img]
1637e8_db262b76644f4d289fd7de4a3c2e86be_mv2.jpg
[/img]

photo1jpg.jpg
photo1jpg.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Attachments
1637e8_db262b76644f4d289fd7de4a3c2e86be_mv2.jpg
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:14 am

Rambo wrote:Enjoy; Travel Safely with Firearms

Fire Arms are already in the motorhome. Its the newest one I just recently bought at a benefit auction for a HPD officer here in town.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:18 am

Be Safe Have Fun and Watch Your Back - - - we've got a Family Reunion to go to this weekend in Fort Worth and I imagine most will be Armed :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:06 pm

Trooz, that place looks iconic.

The tentative plan is to leave Memphis the morning of 28th. I am looking at staying at a place called Heritage Acres RV Park, looks to be right there in Sheffield, and seems to be easy access off of 72. There doesn't appear to be anything right on the river close to Muscle Shoals, which is where I would have liked to be able to stay. Maps shows it to be just under 3 hours from Memphis, and by time I make the ride and get set up it may be pushing closer to noon than I would like. But I am certain we will have some free time that late afternoon and early evening, I am pretty good at freeing my days up by Happy Hour usually. My wife is a UT Grad and may want to have a word with you anyway.

I will reach out via text message next week.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:13 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Be Safe Have Fun and Watch Your Back - - - we've got a Family Reunion to go to this weekend in Fort Worth and I imagine most will be Armed :tup:

I will be just north of you at the race track. I would like to have been able to swing by Oct. Fest in Ft. Worth on Thursday and listen to one of my favorite bands. Don't think I am going to make it though.

https://alexmeixner.com/

The hardest working man in Polka, he's just incredible. Seen him a lot at Wurst Fest in New Braunfels.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:35 pm

My Baton Rouge Podnah and his family will be at Tally as always.
I hope that one day Y'all can meet up and get to know each other.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:53 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:My Baton Rouge Podnah and his family will be at Tally as always.
I hope that one day Y'all can meet up and get to know each other.

I will be rolling in there sometime between 3-5 and on the 29th hopefully. Parts I'm fired up and ready to go to. They canceled all vacation through August at work, So since the Rodeo that's about all I have done is work. Ready to hit the road.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:55 pm

OUCH - - bet you are - - - You and the Missus can soak up the Scenery and Venues - - OH plus occasional Vittles :laughing7:
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:37 pm

This might be too late in the game for you to do, but Joe Wheeler State Park in Rogersville has a campground for RVs and a golf course. It's roughly 30 miles from Muscle Shoals.

[img]
Joe%20Wheeler%20State%20Park.jpg
[/img]

Joe Wheeler Campground.jpg

Joe Wheeler Golf Course.jpg
Joe Wheeler Golf Course.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
Attachments
Joe Wheeler State Park.jpg
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:38 pm

The campground is beside the Tennessee River.
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:44 pm

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Trooz wrote:https://www.alapark.com/parks/joe-wheeler-state-park

I booked the spot in Sheffield earlier today. If I had more time I would stay there, as my wife is a runner and likes a place with trails and whatnot.

We don't have any set time to be in Talladega so we may try and see a thing or 2 before we leave town on that Thursday. Maybe if you were to share your shirt size I may come bearing gifts, that is if you can explain that safety that wasn't called and why they flew in a ref crew from Birmingham into Austin? :laughing7: :laughing7:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:49 pm

Trooz, is that 278 that runs from Cullmen to Gadsden good road? For a motorhome that is?

Return to “General Discussion”