Eating Acorns.....

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Eating Acorns.....

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:29 am

One of the many things we love about living in the Poconos.
We get to see Mother Nature is many forms. From Fruity Pebbles mountains in Autumn to Snow Covered trees in the winter.
But even more impressive are the animals that are seen daily between deer, foxes, Unfortunately Coyotes every now and then and these beautiful Black Bears.
In 2007 when we had the house built we were very uneasy knowing these were around but over the years we learned to respect them and not be afraid, but again...Respect them is key.
Usually, we see 1 adult bear by themselves or with 1 cub, sometimes 2. This is the very first time seeing 3 cubs with what I believe is the Momma bear ( short legs ).

This was about 5 minutes after I was only 20 ft away from shutting the Akorn down. 2nd pic shows the Adult hanging out in the back.
My son's Lab/Newfoundland sounded off and made Cujo look like a poodle when he saw them.
By far, the best guard dog for the house I've ever seen.

Just wanted to share some of God's gifts to the forum. Sorry about the sub par picture quality, I was trying to hold a 100 lb wrecking ball back by his collar, hold a flashlight and balance my phone and somehow touch the ( take picture ) button at the same time.
20221012_184744.jpg
20221012_184728.jpg
20221012_184721.jpg

Sent from my SM-A135U using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Eating Acorns.....

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:59 am

Mother Nature is a Beautiful Neighbor to have next to you :tup: :wav: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:30 pm

good pictures, even better you managed to hold the pup back.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:54 pm

Quick Story, if I may:
I was on Vacation in Yellowstone National Park with my Grandparents back when I was very young and we were driving around the Park one day. My Grandfather said "look at those people, I wonder what they're looking at?" Well as we got closer, we learned that there were 3 Bear Cubs up in a tree and the Tourists were under the tree taking pics and "etc". Well I told my Grandfather to stop and let me go take a picture of them. He pulled over and I got out with my Camera.

Being smaller, I couldn't see over the Adults that were all around the tree so I started making my way thru the crowd to get to the front. Some of them would push me back and try to block me but I kept on until I got under the tree where I could see. Well, my camera was one that you had to hold up to your eye and look thru to see what you were taking a pic off. This pretty much blocked your vision of everything else around you.

OK, so I'm under the tree trying to get a pic of the Cubs and those "rude" tourists are pushing me so I started pushing back and they pushed back. I was hardheaded and determined to stay where I had gotten to until I heard a "grunt/roar" and looked to the side to see who was pushing me. It was then that I realized that the Mama Bear had come to the bottom of the tree to be with her Cubs and "I" was in the way. WELLLLLL not for long because in less that a minute I was back in my Grandparents Car in the back seat, shaking like a leaf and thinking that picture of the Cubs wasn't that important after all. My Grandfather got out and took the pic for me since the tourists had dispersed also :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:00 pm

That is wisdom typing there^^^^^^
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:00 pm

:bow: :salut:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:09 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Quick Story, if I may:
I was on Vacation in Yellowstone National Park with my Grandparents back when I was very young and we were driving around the Park one day. My Grandfather said "look at those people, I wonder what they're looking at?" Well as we got closer, we learned that there were 3 Bear Cubs up in a tree and the Tourists were under the tree taking pics and "etc". Well I told my Grandfather to stop and let me go take a picture of them. He pulled over and I got out with my Camera.

Being smaller, I couldn't see over the Adults that were all around the tree so I started making my way thru the crowd to get to the front. Some of them would push me back and try to block me but I kept on until I got under the tree where I could see. Well, my camera was one that you had to hold up to your eye and look thru to see what you were taking a pic off. This pretty much blocked your vision of everything else around you.

OK, so I'm under the tree trying to get a pic of the Cubs and those "rude" tourists are pushing me so I started pushing back and they pushed back. I was hardheaded and determined to stay where I had gotten to until I heard a "grunt/roar" and looked to the side to see who was pushing me. It was then that I realized that the Mama Bear had come to the bottom of the tree to be with her Cubs and "I" was in the way. WELLLLLL not for long because in less that a minute I was back in my Grandparents Car in the back seat, shaking like a leaf and thinking that picture of the Cubs wasn't that important after all. My Grandfather got out and took the pic for me since the tourists had dispersed also :laughing7: :lol: :D

Holy. Cow. :shock:

I would pass out. Come to think of it, I'd pass out if I saw one from a distance.
Moink!

Return to “General Discussion”