GRRRRRRRRRRR

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: GRRRRRRRRRRR

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:08 am

41 in central Texas. :D
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:24 pm

Anybody want some frost or snowflakes??...I'll be happy to scrape some off the cars for you guys :):):)

Almost time to turn the garage heater on for the season.

Sent from my SM-A135U using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm

We had 31 and heavy frost this morning
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:54 pm

Pocono Pal - - - do Y'all use over night motor heaters there ???
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:30 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Pocono Pal - - - do Y'all use over night motor heaters there ???
Nope, Debs car gets the garage which has a square Ceramic coil 220v heater that stays on a thermostat from December through March.

Most houses built up here have some sort of garage heater to keep the plumbing lines from bursting.
We have Pex like most newer construction so it's way more forgiving than Copper but we still keep the heater on for those 4 months.

As for my car being outside, I park it nose first right up against the garage door, that keeps the horrendous winds away from the motor. I always run full synthetic in every car we own and never get rid of them until we get 300,000 on them. Winters are harsh but hiding the front half of the car from the wind really makes the difference when it comes to it starting.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:16 pm

10-4 - - reason I asked is because when we lived in Colorado at 10,000' it got dangerously cold - - - many degrees below zero a lot of the nights and if we didn't use those Motor Heaters, the Engine wouldn't even turn over the next morning. I don't know if Synthetic Oil gets thick like that or not????? Our old dog sure did like sleeping on the Hood at night but we'd let him in when it was real cold.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:48 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:10-4 - - reason I asked is because when we lived in Colorado at 10,000' it got dangerously cold - - - many degrees below zero a lot of the nights and if we didn't use those Motor Heaters, the Engine wouldn't even turn over the next morning. I don't know if Synthetic Oil gets thick like that or not????? Our old dog sure did like sleeping on the Hood at night but we'd let him in when it was real cold.
I can relate, December and early January are the tolerable months here. Late January and all of February are the mothhs we cringe about. Most years, March isn't to kind either.

Lol, one year we had Evans birthday party at the end of May and it snowed.
Had lots of relatives from Jersey and Virginia look at me with lots of confusion....
1996 had a horrific ice storm here, luckily we weren't here for that but my elderly neighbors on both sides of us told us it was like the ice age, only worse.
The winds and snow were so bad that it shut everything down, then the ice came and that's when the trees turned into toothpickI. It's not a far cry from getting 40_50 mph winds in the winter, brings Minus 30 degrees wind chill every now and again.
If I didn't keep the nose of the car blocked, we would definitely have dead batteries, it's happened in the past but that was my own fault leaving the car in the wide open.

They, along with others were without power for almost a month.
Wood stoves and snowmobiles / 4 wheelers saved a lot of people up here.
We had the house built in 2007, moved in 2 days before Christmas.
We gambled for 11 years without a generator, we got lucky. My brother gave me one a few years ago, it's a good piece of mind.
I hooked it up myself, used a lockout switch and put a plug through the exterior walls.
It's nice because instead of having a dedicated hardwired set of utilities that we can only use, I can pick any breaker I want power to run through.
I tested it and we can run the essentials, roughly 4 good sized circuits at once.
Well pump, water heater, 3 heat zones, the bathroom and hallway lights, septic pump and fridge.

We can deal without the rest.

Oh yeah, the wifi and alarm system, those are two very important things up here.
We don't take kindly to burgulurgururerz....

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:50 am

When I moved my East Texas Family to Colorado - - we had driven up and temporarily rented a mobile home.
It was Memorial Day (end of May) when I woke up to go start my new job when I walked to the front door and looked out.
It was snowing and I got all excited and woke the family up. My Wife (ex now) was standing at the window crying.
I wasn't aware of what a change "I" had just made in her and the boys lives until then.
Everything worked out and we spent 5 wonderful years enjoying God's fabulous Rocky Mtns and Life.
I was truly on a "Rocky Mountain High"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:15 am

Texas Weather prediction - - - "there ain't one" - - - it's 62 degrees, clear skies and the wind is out of the NORTH at 20 mph. That wind puts the chill factor into "COLD"
The Pocono Ring Shop
Cowboy

Postby The Pocono Ring Shop » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:01 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Texas Weather prediction - - - "there ain't one" - - - it's 62 degrees, clear skies and the wind is out of the NORTH at 20 mph. That wind puts the chill factor into "COLD"
Lolololololol^^^^^^^^

Return to “General Discussion”