"IT" happens

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

"IT" happens

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:24 pm

I got to take my Sweetie to our ?Favorite? Restaurant today because she was not feeling well on Valentine's Day.
So we drove up to Huntsville to the "Farmhouse Restaurant". The first thing I ordered was 2 orders of Fried Green Tomatoes.
In the past we have eaten them there and they were, by far, the very Best of all we have tried.
HOWEVER, Today was a complete Joke/Failure and it was because they tried to use Tomatoes that had "ripened" too much. :whiteflag:
When that is done, the Tomato Can't be sliced as thin as it's supposed to and that is very very very important.
THEREFORE, they were NOT GOOD AT ALL - - - I ate 2 just out of spite and regretted it.
We probably won't go back there again because we've been disappointed the last 2 times - - I had a House Salad and the Bacon was so hard that you almost couldn't chew it and it had NO FLAVOR at all - - it was like eating a piece of wood.

I guess that even Suthern Delicacies can disappoint every now and then, ?eh? :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: "IT" happens

Postby Rambo » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:31 pm

I’m sorry for you Brother. Go buy some frozen breaded okra for her and do it . Probably no green tomatoes
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:53 pm

I'd rather do Fresh Okra in the Air Fryer - - - yum yum :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:30 pm

Rambo wrote:I’m sorry for you Brother. Go buy some frozen breaded okra for her and do it ...............

That ain't worth eating.

Do like OUP says and go fresh or as last unbreaded frozen and bread yourself.
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:27 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I'd rather do Fresh Okra in the Air Fryer - - - yum yum :salut:

Assume recipe looks like

Sliced okra
Egg
flour
corm meal
salt
pepper

air fryer.

Close?
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:27 am

very close but just enough liquid (egg/EVO) to hold dry ingredients in place AND SPG makes up all the spices
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:26 pm

we ate at the farmhouse a couple of times when we lived in Huntsville, never was a fan of it. The wife said it's just home-style cooking so we didn't go there anymore.
I am surprised they are still in business, but they seemed to have a following.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:58 pm

they had a run, I guess, because we have eaten there and used to take Family there when they came to visit - - - I don't know what it is but for the last probably 12 years, every time we find a place that we love to eat at, it changes and becomes a place that we won't eat at any longer :whiteflag:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:35 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:they had a run, I guess, because we have eaten there and used to take Family there when they came to visit - - - I don't know what it is but for the last probably 12 years, every time we find a place that we love to eat at, it changes and becomes a place that we won't eat at any longer :whiteflag:

We’ve experienced the same thing in our little town too Emm. I guess family members retire or great Chefs in the kitchen move on
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:53 pm

You're probably right, Neighbor, or ?maybe? their success causes them to cut corners to make even more money :whiteflag:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:57 am

sorry to say that is why restaurants come and go unfortunately they are only as good as their last meal served. If it is good the customer returns if not it is a customer lost.
there was a mexican food place there on the south side of Huntsville that was consistent, and one in New Waverly, that is about all I remember, then of coarse Mckinsie's was a hit or miss kind of place for BBQ
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:39 pm

10-4

Return to “General Discussion”