2023 Garden Thread

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

2023 Garden Thread

Postby Rambo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:29 am

It’s that time of year again :cheers: . I’m going to cut back this year compared to years past and I’m not planning on canning as much either. I have 8 rows 75’ long and we have two 3x8 boxes near the house. I planted 2 rows of New Potatoes on February 11th and they’re up and doing good. I’m going to resist the urge to plant early like a
I did last year and lost it all to a late frost. I’ll probably wait until somewhere between April 1-15 whenever the signs are right to plant above ground plants. Ok’ Mr Boots usually does some and grew some Yams last year. Anyway, good luck gardening, share ideas, and ask questions if you have them.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Re: 2023 Garden Thread

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:16 am

We don't get enough sun to do really well, and last year all our beautiful baseball-sized bush tomatoes got attacked and we hardly got one or two. The only tomato that did well was the Candyland cherry.

Planted some green onyawn stubs early, and with temps bouncing like they are, they are not looking happy. Still, we would like to have at least some tomatoes, and a pepper (type undecided yet).
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:51 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:We don't get enough sun to do really well, and last year all our beautiful baseball-sized bush tomatoes got attacked and we hardly got one or two. The only tomato that did well was the Candyland cherry.

Planted some green onyawn stubs early, and with temps bouncing like they are, they are not looking happy. Still, we would like to have at least some tomatoes, and a pepper (type undecided yet).

Use Sevin Dust and you won’t have any pest problems
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:21 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:We don't get enough sun to do really well, and last year all our beautiful baseball-sized bush tomatoes got attacked and we hardly got one or two. The only tomato that did well was the Candyland cherry.

What were they attacked by? (for insects Rambo gives the best advice, using Sevin dust or spray)
we have a rabbit problem here, the coyotes can't seem to catch them, we have tried repellent and fence to no avail, the neighbors feed them so shooting is out. :dont:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:38 pm

spacetrucker wrote:

What were they attacked by? (for insects Rambo gives the best advice, using Sevin dust or spray)
we have a rabbit problem here, the coyotes can't seem to catch them, we have tried repellent and fence to no avail, the neighbors feed them so shooting is out. :dont:

Get yourself a nice pellet gun
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:05 pm

We used to have 5 boxes when we moved in here, but then we started traveling and I couldn’t take care of them.

I just built 2 new 4*8 @ 2’ tall (hopefully to help keep the rabbits out). I was going to build 3 but we decided against trying melons this year. I don’t know how much landscape they would eat up and I really don’t want to have to trellis/support them.

My garden soil gets delivered tomorrow, then I need to get a water system hooked up. I bought a 4 spicket timer for self watering when we’re gone.

Peppers (jalapeños and sweet) were started under a grow light, growing, and will be ready for transplant. I hope they can wait until April.

We have a nectarine and pear tree that were here when we moved in, but didn’t start pruning it until 2 years ago. The birds ruin all the nectarines before they’re ripe for us to pick anyway. Not sure what to do about that.

We planted 2 cherry and 2 apple two years ago. They are slow growin.

I’m basically new at this (aside from planting and walkin away) so will try to learn as I go.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:12 pm

I don’t believe you can grow melons in a box; they run everywhere. As for birds; a fake plastic Owl is about all I can think of and it doesn’t work well
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:20 pm

Rambo wrote:
spacetrucker wrote:

I have one of those "adult air rifles" it is louder that most .22 infact a .22 rifle with a cb cap is much quiter it still makes a pop though, a silencer would put a big ole target on my back.....
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:25 pm

bowhnter wrote:We used to have 5 boxes when we moved in here, but then we started traveling and I couldn’t take care of them.

I just built 2 new 4*8 @ 2’ tall (hopefully to help keep the rabbits out). I was going to build 3 but we decided against trying melons this year. I don’t know how much landscape they would eat up and I really don’t want to have to trellis/

the rabbits continue to plague me/us we have neighbors that feed them... :dont:

for watering, check out the lawn irrigation systems, you dont need to bury lines and such water hose and valves with a controler have limitless possibilities.... check out www. sprinklerwarehouse.com this where I buy my maintenance parts from
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:46 pm

spacetrucker wrote:
bowhnter wrote:We used to have 5 boxes when we moved in here, but then we started traveling and I couldn’t take care of them.

I just built 2 new 4*8 @ 2’ tall (hopefully to help keep the rabbits out). I was going to build 3 but we decided against trying melons this year. I don’t know how much landscape they would eat up and I really don’t want to have to trellis/

the rabbits continue to plague me/us we have neighbors that feed them... :dont:

for watering, check out the lawn irrigation systems, you dont need to bury lines and such water hose and valves with a controler have limitless possibilities.... check out www. sprinklerwarehouse.com this where I buy my maintenance parts from

Thanks!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:40 pm

spacetrucker wrote:
Rambo wrote:
spacetrucker wrote:

I have one of those "adult air rifles" it is louder that most .22 infact a .22 rifle with a cb cap is much quiter it still makes a pop though, a silencer would put a big ole target on my back.....

I have a Winchester break over pellet gun. I love it, I have some issues where I live that I won’t mention here. But it is the cats tail for sure.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:45 pm

GRailsback wrote:
spacetrucker wrote:
Rambo wrote:
spacetrucker wrote:

I have a Winchester break over pellet gun. I love it, I have some issues where I live that I won’t mention here. But it is the cats tail for sure.

I take for granted living on my own place; p’ing whenever and wherever I want to. I don’t think at my age I could stay where I couldn’t defend my property
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:14 am

Taters
Attachments
F04C8F22-F055-48C5-9DD7-C7279CBCB357.jpeg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:02 am

Back when I used to grow stuff, I've used covers made from Chicken Wire with pretty good success and there's a spray that we used on the ground outside the boxes/beds that helped deter four legged critters :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Back when I used to grow stuff, I've used covers made from Chicken Wire with pretty good success and there's a spray that we used on the ground outside the boxes/beds that helped deter four legged critters :dont:

My neighbor (the one that feeds the rabbits) found out last Christmas that the repellent spray didn't work very well as his Christmas lights got chewed up numerous times :laughing7: :laughing7:
I would love to have a place out of the city control, but the wife is not a country type and she is worth more to me, than living out is...
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “General Discussion”