Pet food recall

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Pet food recall

Postby copkid » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:35 am

Have any of you had any problems with the pet food recalls? I think a problem like this has been a long time coming. I'm sure the industry isn't regulated and watched that well, although I'm far from an expert. Luckily, we've always used dry food for our pets, although I read that the recall may extend to some dry brands. It just makes me sick that so many pets are ill and or dying from this problem. :cry:
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:47 am

Well, you know how we are dog lovers in my household so I really hate seeing whats happening.

From what I understand, this is just the canned and "foiled pouch" foods. We don't use those. Our dogs like dry food.

Whats weird is we used to buy Bentiful wich I would consider a little more expensive than a middle of the road food @ $20 for a 40 something pound bag at Sams. We ran out one day and had to buy the cheap stuff. I bought a 50 lb bag for $11 at Sams and they love it. You can mix Bentiful with this cheap stuff and they will pick through it to get the cheap stuff. Guess what we buy now! :wink:

I noticed yesterday at WalMart that they have expanded the recall to some other dog foods. Alpo and Mighty Dog are two of the brands.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=news
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:13 pm

buyers beware some times the reasion they like the cheap stuff is for the same reasion we like candy or fatty foods not becouse we should be eatting it. we buy pro plane now but we used to buy the cheap untill the vet said we where killing our dogs with sugar fat and salt I'm not saying all cheap foods are this way and i'm not saying all $$ foods are good just look at the contens see how much is in the food you buy for your pet just like you would for your kids. buy the way not all foods are as addvertised on tv.
I'm just hoping we do not fined out this was done on prpose as we know not all people are animal people. :cry:
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:16 pm

I used to buy the cheap stuff until our 16 year old cat, back when he was just getting out of kittenhood, came down with stones in the urinary tract. Bam, we were on a prescription diet. Big$$$. A couple weeks later I dropped in at the vet and simply said this highdollar cat food is ruining me. :( He told me to find a name brand with less than .10 % magnesium (sp). Cats been fine since then.

Our dogs got nothing but Science Diet for most of all of their days.

Pet food is a Billion Dollar industry.

Ol'roy and those like it.... well I'd steer clear of them.

BTW, The Science Diet food reduced the amount of stuff coming out the rear of the animal. Tried Butchers blend once in a pince. Swore there was more coming out than went in. Think about it next time you have to perform poop patrol in the back yard :oops:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:07 pm

My dog has only had Iams / Eukanuba for his 12 years. Started with Iams, but they started adding too many fillers for the same price. Plus, he had to go to a lamb-n-rice diet (tender tummy), so we went to eukanuba.

Vet has been very pleased with us. He's been very trim, relatively few medical problems, and the activity level of a pup, at least until couple years ago.

I'm keeping a close eye on the recall list, especially cause they think the deaths / illnesses are *much* more common than first thought.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:03 pm

I agree with everyone. The cheap brands don't have the proper nutritional values and vitamin levels in them. :wink:
Jim
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:44 pm

My dog gets IAMS Lamb and Rice. A better brand like IAMS, Science Diet etc. is not only better for your dog it does reduce the amount of poop ya got to scoop.

I read the other day that the pet food recall has been expanded to a dry cat food but I can't remember the brand.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:17 am

Here is the dry cat food info.

The cat food being recalled is labeled Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food. The products are: 4 lb. bag, U.S. & Canada UPC code 52742 42770; 10 lb. bag, U.S. & Canada UPC code 52742 42790. Consumers may contact Hills Pet Nutrition at 1-800-445-5777 or at www.HillsPet.com.

Here is some updated dog food and snack info.

Food giant Del Monte announced late Saturday that it was recalling a number of dog and cat foods from its Pet Products division. These include select product codes from Jerky Treats, Gravy Train Beef Sticks and Pounce Meaty Morsels brands. Dog snacks and wet dog food products sold under private label brands have also been recalled, the company said on its Web site, delmonte.com.

Nestle Purina of St. Louis, Mo., said in its own statement that it was recalling the Alpo cans and pouches because it learned that it also received wheat gluten from the same company.

"The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities," the Nestle statement added.

The dog food being recalled involves 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce Alpo Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can Alpo Prime Cuts Variety Packs with four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons, the company said.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ

Return to “General Discussion”