Hello from Cape Town - South Africa

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

martinh USER_AVATAR
MartinH
Pilgrim

Hello from Cape Town - South Africa

Postby MartinH » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:27 am

Hi folks,

Please permit me to introduce myself.

My name is Martin from Cape Town in South Africa and I am a big BBQ enthusiast. I fell in love with your Texas style BBQ when I was spending a lot of time in Houston for my work. (I worked offshore oil and gas) and my wife and I started a community and Facebook page here in SA to spread the word and get more folks involved in Texas style BBQ here. The traditional way of outdoor cooking here in SA is what we call braai which is basically an Afrikaans word for cooking meat on a grid over open coals. Unlike BBQ it is quick and fast.

My Facebook page has grown over the last few years and more have sprung up as the community has grown and I must say it is spreading well here at the moment. I have been cooking for a few years now with my WSM and recently somebody built me a reverse flow smoker. So with my knowledge of the WSM I quickly found out that it means absolutely nothing when it comes to the Reverse Flow.

My biggest challenge is fire management. Unfortunately we do not get such good wood as you folks do there. Our wood is mostly still a bit wet if it is fruit wood. (About 15% moisture content on the wood and about 30% on the bark) and we do not have suppliers that kiln dry the wood or anything because it is not viable as a business here due to the low demand. You see when doing a braai the wood is basically chucked in to a roaring fire and burnt down to coals to cook on.

So I am going to be posting some pics here and dimensions of my smoker on a separate thread and I hope you expert folks can guide me a bit in either what I need to do for a good fire management or what mods you would recommend.

Thanks
Martin
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Hello from Cape Town - South Africa

Postby GRailsback » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:14 am

Welcome, from Cypress, TX.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:37 am

Howdy, Martin, and Welcome to the Forum :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:04 am

Big Welcome, glad to have you with us
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:32 am

Welcome!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:22 pm

Howdy Martin, welcome from New Mexico, USA
Not sure how you buy your wood, but buying some now for next year will give it a year to dry out.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Welcome from Heath :texas:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”