Louisiana Pellet Smokers

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Pinstripes BBQ
Pilgrim

Louisiana Pellet Smokers

Postby Pinstripes BBQ » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Good Afternoon, happy to join the forum and excited as I ordered the SuckleBusters competition Chili seasoning yesterday and can't wait to do my first batch of chili with it.

So this is going to be a long thread so hopefully you have the attention span. Bought the Louisiana Estate BI 2018 and have had nothing but issues with it, fires, leaks and control panel failures. I am on my 3rd one now, to be fair they have been good on the customer service side and on this last issue (complete fire) they gave me the Louisiana Black Label 800 while they had to get me the new Estate and have it delivered to me. So I get the 800 and when it works it works well, here is the issue I am running into I will have it plugged it and periodically I get a Beep then error code of BLU2 which then the unit shuts down, I turn it back on and sometimes it cooks all the way through and sometimes it will turn off another 2-5 times over the time of cook. Sometimes the length of cook is 2 hours and has gone as long as 6 hours but the turning off is just all over the map. They have tried their best to fix, sent me a new controller, fan, and all electrical to replace in the unit and still not a fix. Had a engineer over as their corp office is here in Phoenix. Now they think it may be a fluctuation of electrical power at my home causing the issue. Has anyone else had this issue and if so does anyone have a fix? I am to the point of either fixing or selling both units and buying a gasser and a Yoder.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Louisiana Pellet Smokers

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:26 pm

I agree with the engoneer. I have a background in electronics so I have seen similar issuses and they are baffling.
So very first thing go get the best surge suppressor you can find and plug it between your outlet and the unit.
In doing comps where I know the power may be bad (or know some "friend" might pull the plug) I use this setup:
AC> battery charger> Car battery> inverter> pellet cooker.
Most pellet cookers pull a max of 500 watts during startup then drop to less than half that.

I also have inverter generators that work well.

Good Luck
PT
tarde venientibus ossa....
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:10 pm

Know nothing about pellet poopers.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Pinstripes BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby Pinstripes BBQ » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:00 am

Hey Papa Tom, thanks for the feedback. I had another recommend I move to a 10 guage electrical cord and use the GFI outlet and see if that will work. Did both and have not had a issue since and been 3 cooks. Very weird as no other electrical issues going on around my house. Now it is time to focus on grilling and smoking.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:41 am

Good Deal - - - don't forget to post up some pics of your first Pellet Cooks and WELCOME TO THE FORUM :texas: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:22 am

Good deal stripes I don't believe the 10 gauge wire is necessary but going to a different (and GFCI) outlet is good.
GFCI outlets should always be used outdoors for safety reasons.
Enjoy your cooker....

PT
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”