Chefs Choice

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

emgarcia74
Pilgrim

Chefs Choice

Postby emgarcia74 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:18 pm

I have a question for yall. When you enter a chefs choice category, that means you can turn in whatever you want as long as it fits the parameters of the judging, correct? My wife recently entered a C.C. category that had to include bacon in the dish and it must be cooked on a pit. No propane. We'll she turned in a Jalapeño Popper Tamale that included bacon and everything was cooked on a charcoal grill. They came out amazing but a few people had an issue with it because it is not classically a bbq dish. She got 2nd place. 1st was a bacon wrapped shrimp and 3rd was a bacon wrapped chicken breast...I feel like chefs choice means you can do whatever as long as it fits the rules of the cookoff. What do yall think?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Chefs Choice

Postby Rambo » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:00 pm

First, welcome to TBBQF. There are some judges and competitors in our community that should be able to answer concerning this category
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:55 am

I was taught that "choice" left "the CHOICE" up to that intended person "period" :dont: :scratch:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:22 am

Welcome to the forum!!
Your question in my .02¢ opinion is fully up the folks running the event..
Looking forward to your posts... :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:32 am

Welcome to the forum, emgarcia74.
As an IBCA judge I have seen just about everything imaginable turned in for "Chef's Choice"
The promoter can set certain guidelines which should be explained to the cooks before the event or at the cooks meeting.
I have seen them exclude desserts and certain proteins before as well. The idea is to get the cooks to push the boundary's with creativity. Excluding Desserts is very common as a good banana pudding or cheese cake has beaten Steak and shrimp before.
Your wife's entry sounds very tasty and unique which I would imagine why it placed in the top.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”