Slow Bone BBQ, Dallas TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Damon54
Cowboy

Slow Bone opening in Dallas

Postby Damon54 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Jack Perkins of Maple & Motor Hamburger fame is opening the Slow Bone.

Coming soon to a location 2234 Irving Blvd. , near Wycliff.
Damon54
Cowboy

Re: Slow Bone opening in Dallas

Postby Damon54 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 am

This location was formerly BW's BBQ.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Awesome, more hard core barbecue places opening around here is a boon for the masses.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 am

Jack is quite the character and with some of the same help that he finagled to win the Meat Fight Brisket portion of that competition last uear already onboard for the Slo Bone this should be an interesting project!
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Slo Bone will open this Tuesday.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Wherezit?
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:57 pm

I saw it the other day, Wycliff and Irving Blvd - looks like they redid the place, looks nice.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Slow Bone

Postby erbeman » Sun May 05, 2013 5:44 pm

So I took a group of my coworkers to Slow Bone on Friday for lunch. We tried to leave at 11:30, but it didn't happen. We finally got there around 12:20 and it was packed. I got the last parking spot and the line was out the door. They wanted to leave but, I talked them into staying. It was a really slow moving line for some reason. By the time we got our food, there was plenty of seating. Slow bone is cafeteria style offering meat combo plates. The prices seem a little high at $16.95 for a three meat combo, once you get your tray and realize the mount of meat you get, you then realize the price is quite reasonable. I did't even come close to finishing.

Upon getting up to the meat chopping block, you are greeted by the owner who is quick to hand out samples of his meat. Half of our party got a free sample of different meat. I was lucky enough to get a burnt end which was a little dry but full of flavor. The brisket was sexy! It has a wonderful bark, smoke ring, and is juicy. Here is a pic of the carving station with said brisket:

I went with brisket, ribs, and jalapeño sausage, my typical 3 meat combo along with pinto beans, Mac and cheese and a piece of cornbread. Here is a pic of the tray:

The brisket was really good. It had a great flavor and they rendered the fat down nicely on the point. I asked the owner if it was a simple salt and pepper rub, and he smiled and said oh no, there is a lot more in it. I would give it a 9 out of 10 on this day. I would have liked some of the flat, but it wasn't offered.

The ribs, I simply didn't like. They were pretty dry, small, and extremely salty. I only ate two ribs if that tells you anything.

The jalapeño sausage is made in house, which is pretty cool, but we didn't really care for it. I had an odd flavor to it and it didn't seem to be cooked long enough, as it seemed soft. I only ate 4-5 slices of it. My last bite of it, I decided to dip in the house BBQ sauce included on my tray. I almost gaged! It had such a strong vinegar taste. Oh, it was terrible.

On to the sides, pinto beans were just ok to me. Nothing to set them apart, but nothing bad about them either. The Mac and cheese was about the same to me. Nothing exciting. The cornbread however, OMG is it amazing! I tasted like Jiffy Mix sweet cornbread with a sweet glaze on top that will make you want to slap someone silly :). Man was it tasty.

I don't see myself going back to slow bone if its only up to me. If I do go back, I will stick with the brisket. I applaud the owner for having different flavor profiles to make Slow Bone stand out, however, I didn't care for his flavors other than the brisket. That being said, my co workers loved it. They were so happy they stayed. So, take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Slow Bone

Postby limey » Mon May 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Brisket and corn bread looks good but the sausage looks mighty sad.Tad high for lunch for this hombre.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Slow Bone

Postby BluDawg » Mon May 06, 2013 11:16 pm

To rich for me. Corn bread with sugar in it is cake, the sweet glaze on top confirms it. :texas:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Ox190
Bandolero

Slow Bone BBQ, Dallas TX

Postby Ox190 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 am

From the owners of Maple and Motor comes Slow Bone BBQ on the corner of Wycliff and Irving Blvd.

I'm not much of a reviewer/writer so I will cut to the chase.

Very very good brisket, the only thing they need a little more work on is their bark, nice amount of smoke and very moist.
Ribs were good even though I got the end pieces, I prefer middle of the rack.
Jalapeno Brats very good, however I prefer brat type sausage more grilled than smoked.
Bread choices are cornbread and hushpuppies, I went cornbread, pretty good.
Side options
Greens, cole slaw, mac n cheese, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, cauliflower casserole, fried okra.....I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
I went with mac n cheese and green bean casserole, both very good.
The bread and butter pickles on the relish bar are excellent. I will absolutely be going back, this is my new favorite BBQ joint in DFW over Pecan Lodge. Excellent service from all of the staff as well.

Funny side story, the guy slicing the brisket assumed I wanted it from the point(which I did) but Jack the owner walks up and asks him if he asked me if I wanted lean or moist. He says no so Jack looks at me and says "Do you want lean or moist", now if you know me you know I'm big ol boy, so I look down at my gut and look back at him and say "CMON MAN, did you really just ask me that". We all started laughing.
Custom vertical offset.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Slow Bone BBQ-Dallas

Postby BluDawg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:26 am

That is a Good looking pile of Groceries Ox and a Good review. I have used that line a time or thirty also 8) I have a Rule I will eat noting with the words Lite, Fat Free Low Fat, Diet or Low Cal in the labeling. Life is to short to not enjoy it's simple pleasures. I also don't drink cheap wine or dance with ugly wimen :rose:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Ox190
Bandolero

Postby Ox190 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:43 am

You can't tell from the picture but underneath the 2 ribs is almost a full link of Jalapeno Bratwurst, and at least a half pound of brisket if not more.
Custom vertical offset.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:06 pm

I tried the Slow Bone today and was fairly disappointed...

I had Ribs and Brisket combo plate $15 with water - yikes.

The brisket was cooked well, tender but somewhat bland and the bark lacked flavor.
Ribs again cooked well, but they use something - thyme in think - in their rub and it just ruins the flavor of what otherwise would be a really good rib.
BBQ Sauce is runny and doesn't add anything to the taste of the meat, again that hint of thyme (or something odd) doesn't help. Basic thin vinegar sauce.
Mac and Cheese was the stand out of the plate. Nice and cheesy (did I detect cream of mushroom?) with crunchy bites of green pepper, excellent.
Pinto Beans were not cooked, somewhat hard and have a overkill of tex-mex flavor (cumin I think) and I like tex-mex spices, it was just too much for me.
Corn Bread was OK - they didn't have regular bread. I like corn bread but not with my BBQ.

My bottom line is this. The spices they use are overpowering the BBQ - I get it, you need to have a unique flavor, right? It didn't work for me. The meat was properly cooked and tender. My 2 cents is that their meats and beans would taste much better just by using plain salt/pepper/garlic or some other more mainstream flavors. Or even back off a little bit and let the smoke do the talking...anyway, for $15 I expect greatness, Slow Bone is not on my repeat list. :salut:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Slow Bone BBQ-Dallas

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Stood next to Jack Perkins (The Slow Bone) during the pit tour portion of the TM Behind The Pit Dinner at Pecan Lodge last night. He is one funny dude. Not that has a hill of beans to do with his pitmaster skills. Just thought it was an interesting side note.

I haven't made it by his place yet but it's definitely on the list.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”