Your favorite NON - Texas BBQ Joint

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Smoke_Dog
Pilgrim

Re: Your favorite NON - Texas BBQ Joint

Postby Smoke_Dog » Sun May 26, 2019 11:13 am

This was mine when I resided in Reno. If you're ever up that way check them out. https://bjsbbq.com/default.asp
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon May 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Butcher BBQ Stand, Wellston, Oklahoma.

Corky's BBQ, Memphis, Tennessee

Joe's, Kansas City, Kansas

Q39 in Kansas City, Missouri

Big Bob Gibson BBQ, Decatur, Alabama
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Mon May 27, 2019 4:15 pm

I remember good Q in ruidoso nm up the road from cloudcroft. place is still in biz
some 40 odd years after my last meal there!
whoodathunk western noo mexyko would be a hotbed of good Q?
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon May 27, 2019 8:20 pm

rms827 wrote:As far as chains go, I love Famous Dave's. It's the closest thing we can get to decent BBQ ribs out here in the PRC.

Now as far as unique restaurants go... If anybody is in Nashville in the future, check out Martin's BBQ down by the stadium. It's kind of the secret place the locals try to keep from the tourists. They do Memphis style dry rub ribs like most places in Tennessee. Another good spot I found in Nashville was a place called Bar Lines. It's in the building that houses the Country Music Hall of Fame, towards the back. We asked the security guard there where was the best local place and he turned us on to it. He said the Mexican place near the gift shop was only fair quality and overpriced, but Bar Lines was great.

Come to think of it, I have pics from both spots... I should post detailed reviews. :mrgreen:

NEWS FLASH - DECENT BARBECUE HAS BEEN SITED IN L.A. -

Was in Cuidad de Los Angeles last year, and had the barbecue itch. Did my research, and found a place near downtown called Horse Thief barbecue, right across the street from the Angels flight historic tram. Run by a couple of Texas expatriates.I rolled up on site, not realizing they were about to close and had already shut down operations except for the bar. So I settled at the bar and had a Shiner Bock – on tap! Pitman comes out and sees that I have neither left nor ordered bad beer, and we have a nice conversation about Texas and competition barbecue. He disappears back in the kitchen. Couple minutes later he comes out with sliced brisket and a couple of ribs they had left over and gives them to me for free. Real square bloke and much appreciated. And darned if it wasn’t pretty darn good. Can’t say that it’s as good as Texas, after all, they have challenges getting the right kinds of wood out in Los Angeles. But it was pretty darn good, so RMS you may have a lifeline to home even in the PRC.

The other place I have been that I could give a complement to was Dinosaur barbecue in Harlem on the far upper West side. The Texas rib was pretty good, the other stuff fairly average. But by New York standards, it was a raving success.

Anything else I’ve had anywhere else is pretty much dog food. Doesn’t mean great ones don’t exist, I just haven’t found them.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
mlmurrah USER_AVATAR
mlmurrah
Pilgrim

Postby mlmurrah » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Neely's Interstate in Memphis.
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Smokey Mountain
Huntsville, TX
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:56 am

Craig's BBQ in DeVall's Bluff Arkansas

Whole Hog Cafe based in Little Rock, AR but I've liked every franchise I've eaten at.
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Only been to one in the area here, Brisket sammie was dry.
So unimpressed, I don't remember the name.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
broncorckcrwlr USER_AVATAR
broncorckcrwlr
Pilgrim

Postby broncorckcrwlr » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:46 pm

The Moonlight BBQ Inn in Owensboro Ky specializes in BBQ mutton. There are several places in Owensboro that do so. I haven't been there yet but my son-in-law who is a big BBQ eater was in Owensboro for a teachers conference last year and ate there and raved about it. I need to get up that way and try it. I might want to try to smoke some myself.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”