Hello Texas, do you know these people ?

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Hello Texas, do you know these people ?

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:54 pm

Was just wondering if anyone in Texas or on this forum in general has come across " Little Creek Bar-B-Cue from Bangor Pa ?

If so, just curious as to your thoughts ?

I've been here maybe 5 times in the last few years, unfortunately my route doesn't get me close enough for my schedule but yesterday I was able to pop in for a great lunch.

Im only asking because I know that they go on the road for competitions but I'm not exactly sure where they go. They have these Baked beans that make me go nuts . Smokey, sweet and just enough heat, absolutely delicious. The Green beans have Bacon and are Rediculous.
Havens had the Collard greens yet but that's next. Brisket sammy, Pulled Pork and the Pit Beef were great, not a dry bite to be found. Yesterday was Wing day special. Got 12, all dry, sauce on the side.
One sauce was sweet heat and the other was house hot, both excellent.
Had about 3 naked, and even they were great. Mac N cheese is made with black pepper so if ur sensitive to any heat, you will find it in the end but it was really good. Corn Bread
I've had thier Okra, and Everyone I know loves theirs, I just can't do it for some reason. Took one bite and in the napkin it went .

Anyways, everyone inside is always real nice and if you ask questions, you will get the answers " Without " being looked down upon like some places that get a swollen head after a while.

If you see em, check em out

http://littlecreekbarbcueco.com/blog/

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Hello Texas, do you know these people ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Sho do sound like Suthern Fixins to me, Pal, as far as the Okra tolerance goes "different strokes different folks" - anxious to see what your turn is on the Collards. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:06 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Sho do sound like Suthern Fixins to me, Pal, as far as the Okra tolerance goes "different strokes different folks" - anxious to see what your turn is on the Collards. :tup: :salut:
Nah man, I'm on a completely different crankshaft .

Yeah, I was thinking about that too even tho I've never had Collard Greens.

All I know is that I have some free time tonight, I might just try to do some baked beans on the tabletop electric smoker. I have a bunch of Mesquite and Hickory Chips I can use.
Bummer the Akorn is about to get deep sixed, gonna be in the market for another new one tho.
Maybe a Jr as well

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:59 pm

I lost a good friend in 2016 that I had only met one time and I turned him onto Collards about a year before his passing. He really liked them and would never give me the credit for teaching him to buy and cook them - - - - after he/Wife had fixed a couple of pots you'da thought he invented them. :laughing7: :lol: :D Miss Ya Bob :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:04 pm

sounds good but I don't compete or do competitions, just isn't my kind of fun... Have not heard, or seen them....
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:10 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I lost a good friend in 2016 that I had only met one time and I turned him onto Collards about a year before his passing. He really liked them and would never give me the credit for teaching him to buy and cook them - - - - after he/Wife had fixed a couple of pots you'da thought he invented them. :laughing7: :D Miss Ya Bob :salut:
Buddy, I remember when that happened and its always hard to lose a friend like that

I'm going to actually make my first Collard Greens with Bacon dish tomorrow with the smoked beans , Crusted Parmessan Red Tater Wedges, Hawaiian Kebabs and a first ever Tuscan Apple Cake for a nice dinner and Desert since I haven't made a nice dinner in a while.
Wish me luck !! I have Dominos on speed dial ready

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Dinner sounds great :tup: :salut:
Only advise I have is try not to overcook them - - - - I prefer them with a slight bite/crunch but done.
Just keep singing "Oh I wish I was In the Land of Cotton" and you'll be OK :laughing7: :lol:
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Dinner sounds great :tup: :salut:
Only advise I have is try not to overcook them - - - - I prefer them with a slight bite/crunch but done.
Just keep singing "Oh I wish I was In the Land of Cotton" and you'll be OK :laughing7:
Ill take your advice for sure.

After looking for recipes, I've realized that my Mom has made Collard greens plenty of times I just didn't realize what they were.
I've seen them other places too that looked like a pile of slop.

Ill definitely go the non slop route if I can

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Good deal, like anything else, it is possible to mess up a good dish - - - most all of the Restaurant Greens I have eaten were overcooked but that could be because of long serving times heating and reheating :dont: I've seen that happen with Turnip, Mustard, Collards and "especially" Spinach - - YUK :x
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:20 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Good deal, like anything else, it is possible to mess up a good dish - - - most all of the Restaurant Greens I have eaten were overcooked but that could be because of long serving times heating and reheating :dont: I've seen that happen with Turnip, Mustard, Collards and "especially" Spinach - - YUK :x
Ok, so here's a question from this very very uneducated Collard Yankee...lol.

Do I use Smoked Bacon or a Smoked Hock ?
I can get both very easily. Should u use both ?

Also, I see some rest uh peaz that suggest first sauteeing the Collards till they wilt for a few minutes then simmering them for 90 minutes in the broth OR should I just put the Collards into the sauna right away for the duration ?

Also. I'm seeing mixed thoughts about adding a teaspoon of sugar as others are opposed ...

So Emm my friend I ask you this...
, iyhtbbswicitko TRANSLATION THIS WAY >>>>>>> In Your Humble Texas Bird But Stuffing Whatever I Can In The Keister Opinion.......what are your thoughts ??

Disclaimer = I actually had to type that ^^^ about 5 times before I was able to hit Send because I was laughing so much

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:56 am

woodenvisions wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:Good deal, like anything else, it is possible to mess up a good dish - - - most all of the Restaurant Greens I have eaten were overcooked but that could be because of long serving times heating and reheating :dont: I've seen that happen with Turnip, Mustard, Collards and "especially" Spinach - - YUK :x
Ok, so here's a question from this very very uneducated Collard Yankee...lol.

Do I use Smoked Bacon or a Smoked Hock ?
I can get both very easily. Should u use both ?
Sorry, just now saw this: Either or Both is OK, IMHO

Also, I see some rest uh peaz that suggest first sauteeing the Collards till they wilt for a few minutes then simmering them for 90 minutes in the broth OR should I just put the Collards into the sauna right away for the duration ?
What I always do is pre-boil my Stock "first" before ever introducing the Greens to it. This also helps prevent over cooking

Also. I'm seeing mixed thoughts about adding a teaspoon of sugar as others are opposed ...
I do not like sugar in my Greens at all.

So Emm my friend I ask you this...
, iyhtbbswicitko TRANSLATION THIS WAY >>>>>>> In Your Humble Texas Bird But Stuffing Whatever I Can In The Keister Opinion.......what are your thoughts ??
Well, Pocono Pal, all I can say is that you got it goin yer way so "Git'er Done" :tup: :salut:

Disclaimer = I actually had to type that ^^^ about 5 times before I was able to hit Send because I was laughing so much

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks for the tips Emm, ill definitely go with no sugar and a hot bath

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 am

After a little while in the boil/slow simmer, feel free to give it a taste test for texture. T'won't hurt not a'tall. :tup:
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:08 pm

spacetrucker wrote:sounds good but I don't compete or do competitions, just isn't my kind of fun... Have not heard, or seen them....
spacetrucker, I myself wouldn't go down that road either, I enjoy the casual scene myself, keeps the pressure off .

Yeah, I was just curious as to how far they went. Maybe next time I will try not to stuff my face too fast and actually have a conversation with them lol.

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:After a little while in the boil/slow simmer, feel free to give it a taste test for texture. T'won't hurt not a'tall. :tup:
Haven't gotten to any of it yet my friend but I'll definitely pretend ur right in my ear like a CIA agents earpiece when I attempt it

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”