Rudys in Spring

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Rudys in Spring

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:05 pm

After the Wiffy's Appt in The Woodlands we decided to buzz on down to Rudys BBQ and grab an early Lunch. She opted for their Chopped Sauce Beef Sammich with some Tater Salad and I chose BBs with Cole Slaw. In my opinion everything was great but she wasn't thrilled with her Sammie so I got to eat the remaining third after I finished my Reebz. Both Meats had a great wood smoke flavor which I really like. It was Summer time when we went in but the Front blew in and it was Windy, Drizzlie and Colder when we came out. :salut:

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Rudys in Spring

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 pm

For a bbq chain Rudy’s is about as good as it gets. It’s the only one we will eat at anyway.

I’ll let you in on a little secret…the brisket and egg breakfast tacos are some of the best around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Rudy's is beautiful in Spring but that ain't 'til March 20th....good Q most anytime tho....
tarde venientibus ossa....
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Never got a bad meal at Rudy's.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Rudy’s is definitely better than bill millers as far as chains go. The brisket is good and really dig the cream corn.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:21 pm

I almost got some Creamed Corn today but didn't :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
techieq USER_AVATAR
TechieQ
Wrangler

Postby TechieQ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:46 pm

i got a sentimental attachment to Rudys. I accidentally happened across the original one back around '89 or '90 west of San Antonio in Boerne. i was heading out I-10 to visit an out-of-town girlfriend and needed to stop for gas. Back in those days there were no credit card readers on the pump, so I had to go inside to pay. I stepped inside and was overwhelmed with the room-filling smell of delicious bbq. I peeked around the corner and was surprised to see a full bbq restaurant attached to this gas station. Too bad I'd just finished lunch, but I made note to leave hungry next time I made this drive so I could get some when I stopped, and boy was it good.

The rest of the story? I've been married to that girlfriend for nearly 27 years now.

My usual at Rudys is 1/4 lb "moist" brisket, plus a link of jalapeño sausage. I love the new potatoes, and then flip a coin whether I have the pintos or creamed corn with it.

The green chile stew is also a great choice in cold weather.
Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start.
BigAL71
Pilgrim

Postby BigAL71 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:21 pm

I love Rudy’s! Always get ribs and brisket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:48 am

I agree with all of the above. :D
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:26 am

egghead wrote:I agree with all of the above. :D

Amigeaux, when we hooked up at Razoo's last year, Rudy's was just across I-45 from where we were. :salut:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:56 am

I have eaten at Rudy's at numerous places across Texas, none ever bad, some better than others, but the best one, is the one closest to home, and we seldom get to go to it because of its proximity to home, here in Round Rock. As others have said "They do a good job for a chain" better than any of the others I have eaten at.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chillstone USER_AVATAR
Chillstone
Pilgrim

Postby Chillstone » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:05 pm

How is it that no one has mentioned their turkey? If you’ve never had it give it a try. My wife orders it because she is not the biggest fan of bbq. I tried it and was impressed.
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 am

bsooner75 wrote:For a bbq chain Rudy’s is about as good as it gets. It’s the only one we will eat at anyway.

I’ll let you in on a little secret…the brisket and egg breakfast tacos are some of the best around.

This sums it up perfectly.
Having stopped at many Rudy’s all over Texas, I can say they are very consistent.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:08 pm

Next time your'e close to Atascocita try out Tin Roof BBQ. It is family owned and operated by the Webbers. Tell Brek Webber if he's there Kevin Miller Sent you.
https://www.tinroofbbqtexas.com/
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Torrey
Pilgrim

Postby Torrey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Rudy's was the place that made me realize I liked BBQ. Before that, every brisket I've ever had growing up was dry and very lean. Some friends and I popped into a Rudy's on the way back from a New Braunfels trip and I tried the "moist" for the first time and instantly fell in love. I never knew what real creamed corn was like either...mine always came out of a Del Monte's can. My first rack of ribs in the Masterbuilt electric was coated with Rudy's rub and they came out great. Every since then, I've been hooked.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”