Haywood Smokehouse Waynesville, NC

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

CookinWithWood
Pilgrim

Haywood Smokehouse Waynesville, NC

Postby CookinWithWood » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:52 pm

I visited my mom in Western NC for Thanksgiving and got the chance to try one of their local BBQ joints. Haywood Smokehouse bills itself as Texas BBQ so I figured it was worth a visit to confirm their claim.

I ordered the three meat plate with ribs, brisket and turkey. It came with two sides which honestly was way more food than I really wanted or expected. Their Mac and cheese was good, basic Mac and cheese.

They offer many different sauces to add on their meats, however all meats are served without sauce (as God intended). I am not a sauce fan and declined to add any to my plate.

The ribs were good, probably 7/10. I would get them again just to confirm how consistent they are cooking. I work in quality for an automotive supplier, and consistent process control is everything.

The turkey was also good. It was juicy but the rub had a sweetness that seemed to oppose to the natural meat taste. I'd rank it 6/10. For reference, if you're in north Texas and get turkey at Hutchins in McKinney, that's usually an 8/10 for me.

Their brisket was definitely good. Solid 7/10. Again I would like to visit again and verify how consistent they can make it. Fat was rendered well, texture was good and the rub contributed nicely to the overall flavor. The only thing I would say they could improve on was getting a better smoke ring for the sake of appearance. Taste was not affected, and overall I would say they earned their claim of being Texas BBQ.
Attachments
IMG_20191129_124651.jpg
IMG_20191129_124645.jpg
result_1575048380482.jpg
Weber Smokey Mountain
Old Country Pecos
Weber Kettle
Char-Griller

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”