Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chillstone USER_AVATAR
Chillstone
Pilgrim

Some local FAVS

Postby Chillstone » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:53 pm

Good even after the move:

Gatlin’s BBQ - OK I was kinda scared when they moved from the original location. I wasn’t gonna miss the tiny area that you had to wait in but I was really afraid the food quality would suffer. I have to admit that the only things I’ve ever tried are the smoked wings and the pork ribs. The smoked wings are awesome! But, I can’t get enough of the pork ribs! I really like their sauce so I get extra. The last two times I went I ended up eating the ribs on the way home and forgot all about the sauce. The ribs don’t need sauce. Had to use the sauce on tacos the next day. This is my go-to place for smoked wings or pork ribs.

Iconic:

Burn’s Original BBQ - I grew up near Acres Homes. I played football with the owner (the son, not his father). I started getting BBQ there around 1995 or 96. In those days I wouldn’t drive across town for BBQ and Burns was close to work. I liked it back then but nowadays there is a lot of serious competition. I changed jobs and didn’t eat there for years. Lately I started going back. I can honestly say that the BBQ now is so much better. The rub is good. The sauce is good. Just overall much better Q. If you haven’t tried it you should give it a try...Houston to the bone!

Where I go the most:

Brooks Place BBQ - I know I’m about to get banned from the forum. Yes, I admit it...I’m a chopped beef sandwich guy. While I’ve had brisket, sausage, pork ribs, potato salad, and beans at Killens, Franklins, Coopers, Corkscrew, City Market, etc, etc, etc, the BBQ that I eat on a weekly basis (not really weekly but you get the meaning) is a chopped beef sandwich. I really like Rudy’s especially when they toast the bun (I don’t understand why EVERY BBQ restaurant does not toast the bun on a chopped) and it is convenient and inexpensive. But, when I’m willing to drive 45-50 minutes to get a chopped sammich I go to Brooks Place BBQ in Cypress. It’s BBQ heaven between two pieces of bread. darn!
p.s. 4 corners BBQ does a pork rib sandwich that’s really good too. Every time the sweet lady asks me if I want the meat on the bone or off. I’m unsure why someone would ever want three big pork bones on their sandwich but I’m gonna get it that way next time just to see if I’m missing something. LOL
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Some local FAVS

Postby limey » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:22 am

Pretty good list. I also like chopped sammies, grew up eating the Riskckys chopped specials. Have to agree on the toasted buns as well, makes for a better Sammie or burger. Thanks for the good review. :salut:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Some local FAVS

Postby GTR » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:34 am

Funny you mentioned the bones in the rib sandwich. I worked with a guy delivering furniture that would stop for lunch at The Chicken Shack. He would order a wing sandwich. Literally 3 full wings between two slices of white bread. He would bite into it just like a regular sandwich. Chew it around a minute and spit out bare bones. Haven’t seen nor heard of anything like it before or since.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”