Dale Bakers in Austin

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mlmurrah USER_AVATAR
mlmurrah
Pilgrim

Dale Bakers in Austin

Postby mlmurrah » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Wonder if anyone remembers Dale Baker's in Austin? I used to go there when I was a student at the University of Texas in the late 1960s. Dale has gone to barbecue heaven, and the place is long gone, but I can still taste the mustard based sauce. I used to keep my two slices of bread until everything else was gone and sop the sauce with it.

I'd love to have a recipe for the sauce. Can anyone help?
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Smokey Mountain
Huntsville, TX
ftby00 USER_AVATAR
Ftby00
Cowboy

Re: Dale Bakers in Austin

Postby Ftby00 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:56 pm

I don't know anything about that place. Famous Daves has an awesome mustard base sauce that is about all that was good there. Oh the corn bread muffins were pretty good too.
Here's Smoke In Your Eyes!!!

Oklahoma Joes
Custom Smoker Trailer
Brinkman Gasser

Shawn
bdbaker
Pilgrim

Postby bdbaker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:43 am

Hi! I am Billy Dale Baker. I'm Dale baker's youngest son. Just so you know I'm legit we were located at 3003 Lake Austin Blvd. We opened Nov. 1, 1952 and shut down Oct. 31, 1975. If you give me contact information I would be honored to give you the recipe. I really don't want to share it in an open forum. If you want it you'll be one of only 3 people living that has it, the other being my sister.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:27 am

We have a private message system here. Anyone interested can send Mr. Baker a PM. Thanks for the offer Sir and welcome to the Forum
mlmurrah USER_AVATAR
mlmurrah
Pilgrim

Postby mlmurrah » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:37 pm

bdbaker wrote:Hi! I am Billy Dale Baker. I'm Dale baker's youngest son. Just so you know I'm legit we were located at 3003 Lake Austin Blvd. We opened Nov. 1, 1952 and shut down Oct. 31, 1975. If you give me contact information I would be honored to give you the recipe. I really don't want to share it in an open forum. If you want it you'll be one of only 3 people living that has it, the other being my sister.

I am very excited about your very kind offer. I sent you a PM with my contact.info.
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Smokey Mountain
Huntsville, TX
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Very gracious Mr. Baker. Salute! :salut:
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:40 pm

Boots wrote:Very gracious Mr. Baker. Salute! :salut:

:salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
mdickens52
Pilgrim

Postby mdickens52 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:01 pm

I would like to say, that yes, I do remember Dale Bakers in Austin. My family, the Dickens, lived at 507 Deep Eddy Avenue from 1955 until we had to sell the house in January 2019. Mom and Dad, Margaret and Lewis (Babe) Dickens, would take us kids to eat there. Remember the sawdust on the floors. There were us 3 girls (Linda, Diana, and me Mary, along with younger brother Lewis) and we just loved the place. It had the best bbq smell and it would just make your mouth water. Always has a special place when the family would talk about it and Mom and Dad just loved your Dad. Memories are Great. Many a day spent at Deep Eddy swimming, running across Lake Austin Blvd barefoot. Those were the days. God Bless You.
bdbaker
Pilgrim

Postby bdbaker » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:44 am

mdickens52 wrote:I would like to say, that yes, I do remember Dale Bakers in Austin. My family, the Dickens, lived at 507 Deep Eddy Avenue from 1955 until we had to sell the house in January 2019. Mom and Dad, Margaret and Lewis (Babe) Dickens, would take us kids to eat there. Remember the sawdust on the floors. There were us 3 girls (Linda, Diana, and me Mary, along with younger brother Lewis) and we just loved the place. It had the best bbq smell and it would just make your mouth water. Always has a special place when the family would talk about it and Mom and Dad just loved your Dad. Memories are Great. Many a day spent at Deep Eddy swimming, running across Lake Austin Blvd barefoot. Those were the days. God Bless You.

I remember your family well. Your sisters were the prettiest in the neighborhood. Diana was a year behind me in school.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:38 pm

Howdy, Mary, and Welcome to the Forum - - - thank you very much for sharing that :texas: BBQ History with us. :tup: :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
ravnhaus
Pilgrim

Postby ravnhaus » Thu May 13, 2021 2:17 pm

Loved Dale Bakers! The sauce and potato salad was the best. Sawdust on the floor until the stupid city made them stop. I ate there at least once a week. I would love to have the sauce recipe!
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Thu May 13, 2021 8:44 pm

I would enjoy making a Texas mustard sauce recipe, I've been using Pork Barrel mustard sauce, they've been out of business a while now and I only have a few bottles left.

To dispel any fears of commercial or competition aspirations on my part, I have zero restaurant experience except as a patron and working at Wendy's back in high school. I'm an engineer who spent his career turning crude oil and natural gas liquids and getting the various useful stuff to market until my health forced my retirement. I still enjoy the metamorphosis of animal parts to savory meals from my patio pits.
kelseyham
Pilgrim

Postby kelseyham » Sat May 15, 2021 7:50 pm

I do not see that the recipe was ever posted? Would it be possible to have it emailed? My father is Arnold Blomdahl who has been in the bbq game since 80's and started at Bert's bbq and then branched out & started Blom's BBQ & Burgers in Austin TX!
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:00 am

You want to try a dang good Mustard BBQ Sauce .... https://www.sucklebusters.com/bbq-sauce ... bbq-sauce/
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”