Anyone ever heard of "Nick the Greek" Seasoning

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Anyone ever heard of "Nick the Greek" Seasoning

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:59 pm

mgwerks wrote:
Gator wrote:I spoke to her twice and made it clear I wanted to produce the seasoning, but she hasn't responded. I suspect this one may be gone forever.

Well, yo might have to lean on crazzeee78 again, and you know that Nebraska is just a one day road trip from Coppell!

What is the Nebraska connection?
tarde venientibus ossa....
marsh
Pilgrim

Postby marsh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Hello, my name is Marshall, and Nick Mihos was a close friend of mine. Someone sent me a link today to this thread. I would love for Nick's product to be available again, so I am happy to help you in any way you want. You can reach me via email or phone number. I can provide that contact information to you, just ask.

I work for a major poultry company that provided raw chicken to Nick for charity events and store demos. I cooked side by side with him several times, and he taught me so much. Our friendship grew and reached beyond work, and I would visit him in Grove, OK, up to the time of his death in 2007. Near the end he was so weak that he would "supervise" me sitting in a lawn chair in the garage, drinking scotch and smoking a cigarello. The last thing we grilled were two whole chickens, cut in half. There were a few key things I learned from Nick, (which may be common knowledge to you guys, if so, my apologies for sounding remedial):

1. Season the meat the night before, and don't overdo it. Thouroughly covered, but not pancaked all over it.
2. Use hardwood charcoal, not briquettes. He used Hasty Bake.
3. Apply his liquid marinade to cooked meat after each turn (don't apply the marinade to raw meat)
4. Perhaps most important... When you take the meat off the grill, apply marinade, then cover with foil and let stand in either a side smoker, or oven for 20-30 minutes. Not necessarily a heated source, just somewhere enclosed where heat will not be lost. It's at this point when the meat really draws in the flavor.
5. The key flavors in his seasoning are paprika, onion, and garlic. The key ingredients in his marinade are canola oil and citric acid. The acid penetrates the meat causing the flavor to really be drawn into the meat.
6. This was probably more of a quirk than anything, but I still do it to this day, and it makes me smile. After you've turned the meat, bang your tongs on the grill several times. He said you're knocking any uncooked juices etc off of your tongs that could contaminate the fully cooked meat.

Nick was one of a kind, and I miss him. I still have several cases of his marinade, but I've ran out of his seasoning. I currently use a paprika based seasoning that's similar to his, but not quite the same. It still produces delicious chicken wings, and every time I grill them I think of Nick.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Good to hear from you Marsh there are many that would like to get Nick's seasoning again. Gator who runs this forum and owns Sucklebusters spice company will be anxious to talk to you. He is a great guy and it would be nice if he could recreate and distribute Nick's blends along with his other wonderful products.
tarde venientibus ossa....
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks Marsh -

The long story short is that I had several people contact me and ask if I could research Nick the Greek seasoning as they liked the product, but could no longer find it. The reason they contacted me is that I have been successful in bringing back another seasoning, Texas GunPowder, which was in a similar situation.

A couple people helped me connect with Nick's widow and I think she is thinking it over, but I have not heard anything from her in a while...so we will see. As I posted up earlier in this thread, it's quite a personal thing so what works for some, may not work for others.

I know customers really liked his products, so I'm sure they would be happy to see it become available again.

Dan
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
JD Prather
Pilgrim

Postby JD Prather » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 pm

Hello to those of you who are familiar with Nick the Greek seasonings, or Nick.

I met Nick Mihos when he first started his business in 1995. I worked for a label company in Oklahoma City and created the labels for his products in 1996. About a year later, I quit the label business and worked with Nick full time to promote his dry seasoning and marinade. For 9 months we cooked about every week throughout the state on up to 8 Hasty-Bake grills at a time. I set up the flyers telling where Nick was going to cook next, sent pictures and wrote news releases to the newspapers. I came up with a phrase "Taste the Taste" and he liked that and plastered it on all sides of his cooking/consession trailer. We promoted his products everywhere we could think of including "Made in Oklahoma" products and "QVC". My favoite food, still today, is pork spare ribs cooked with "chunk" hardwood charcoal, using Nick's seasoning, marinade, and technique of cooking (you also must cut the ribs in half, the long way, through the bones). His favorite was pork loin.

Nick died in July of 2007 at the age of 55. The guy wouldn't quit smoking. He was a one of a kind person. Every time I think of Nick, it was good times, laughter, and energy. I visited with Kenna, his wife, to see if the products are still going to be available or if recipies for his seasonings and marinades are available. She indicated that the business was Nick's and she really didn't have a hand in the day-to-day business nor does she know any of the mixes. The products are no longer produced because there has been no one to take over the business or purchase the rights. Personally, I have a list of the ingredients, both dry mix and liquid, and have been in the process of "tweaking" for the past 3 years ever since I bought all the inventory of Nick's products at our local Walmart, used them, and can't get anymore. I'm not there yet. I doubt that I will every get exactly to that flavor Nick created.

Just thought I would jump in here a say a few words about Nick the Greek seasoning. After getting all my friends and family hooked on the flavor, now the products are not available. Nick and his products are very much missed.

JD Prather - Skiatook, OK
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks JD.

BTW Skiatook OK has a great little BBQ joint...Macs is excellent, IMO - I'm sure you will agree.
Gator

JD Prather
Pilgrim

Postby JD Prather » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Gator,

Yep, we eat at Mac's BBQ often.

JD
b-hillʹs bbq USER_AVATAR
B-hill's BBQ
Cowboy

Postby B-hill's BBQ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Man Gator, it nice to know there are people out there on the forum who have honored us with stories of Nick and this was their first opportunity to post a message. Not to mention the fact that we have spread so far out from Texas and yet still keep true to the "Q", Sounds like Nick was a good man, and I am one who would like to try his seasonings after hearing their testimonies. Good Luck Sheriff.
Brian, BMC USCG
Strive to be Saltier than a Pretzel
Patrick.sampson19
Pilgrim

Postby Patrick.sampson19 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Yes I have I'm married his daughter Katie.
Patrick.sampson19
Pilgrim

Postby Patrick.sampson19 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 pm

I had the honor know nick for 3 years before he past. And he's taught me alot about grilling many things. It was a sad day for me when I heard from my wife that nick died. it's good to see how many people's lives nick touch with his marinade and seasoning.
LilNicktheGreek
Pilgrim

Postby LilNicktheGreek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:17 am

Hi everyone, my name is Nicki Mihos and I'm Nick's youngest daughter. This is the first time I've ran across this page, i never knew about it. First of all i would like to say thank you to all if of the wonderful comments people left about daddy and his beloved marinade and seasoning! He would be so honored and pleased that all his blood, sweat tears were so worth it. But most of all happiness because so many people got to enjoy his products! You all will never know however this page and all the amazing comments means to me! Marshal, i would love to talk to u again and thank u for being such a wonderful friend to my dad. I know how he felt about u, well u r pretty much a member of the family. JD, i don't know if u remember me running around while u helped dad, that was probably before i got my food handlers card at 12 so i could also go and help him cook at all different places! Love to hear from u to! Also anyone else that would like to post or e-mail me to tell me ur memories or experiences with his products are more than welcome! I would love to see daddys products in stores again and will do anything to help and aide in that happening. My two sisters and i have been out of his seasoning and recently marinade and its crushing to us! My sisters and i would have bought the rights but again the one that was his wife wants so much for them there is ABSOLUTELY no way we could afford them. Daddy always told us growing up that all his hard work to make these wonderful products, he did it for his girls. I would LOVE to have the rights but know thats not possible because we can't afford it but would be just as thrilled to see the rights in someone elses hands and will appreciate and do it fjdlike daddy would because he made sure only the best ingredients went into his products. I will help in any way! The Ole Man would be
LilNicktheGreek
Pilgrim

Postby LilNicktheGreek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:28 am

Would be very proud, honored, and blessed that so many got to know him and or his products. I am definitely that and so much more that words and say enough! Thank u and God bless u all!
Nicki Mihos
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:48 am

Hi Nicki -

Thanks for your post.

All of this started from folks asking for your Dads seasonings, which we have come to learn, were quite popular. It is a great tribute to your Dad. If you want to make your Dads seasonings - you should, in my opinion. There would be no greater way to honor him than you carrying on the family tradition.

If you have recipes and a desire to make and sell them, you have 90% of what it takes to be successful. 8)

Check your Private Messages. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
Gator

cczz
Pilgrim

Postby cczz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:45 pm

I just found this spice in my mother’s cabinet and love it! She lives in Grove OK. Were you ever able to reproduce it? Im sad to find out that when I use it up I might not be able to replace it.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Gator, do you know any of the ingredients used at all?? We also have a strong Greek community here, I can enquire?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”